Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here's A Question To Make You All Think
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 27 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #21

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Dosen't work like that hustler esp these days where everybody is sueing everybody.

If a outing is organised as you guys have suggested taking out disabled or handicapped even if they're not then you nedd to take out a seperate insurance policy to cover the days events you cant just rely on peoples private policies.

In your case your's will only cover whilst peeps are in the boat someone falls down @ the ramp they are not covered &the organisers are subject to be held liable.

Forget taking peeps out it requires a great deal of effort & outgoings will drastically eat away into any funds raised esp the insurance side of it

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVE.P
post Jul 27 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #22

*BloodyBumShitBugger*

Group: Members

Member No.: 6

I thought about it and I think we should have a wet T shirt contest .
natrualy I would be a judge biggrin.gif and so could the rest of you.
As for the prize the winner would get a rod from one of the judges. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Goony Googoo

+Quote Post
oz man
post Jul 28 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #23

The Guru

Group: Root Admin

Member No.: 1

Gee it's amazing how a question can get people think and get post happening.
Ok I four one agree with The MASTER if we organize something like any of the above with kids etc the
organizer would be responsible as far a council etc.
So the following would need to be considered.
1) Council fees for the venue
2) Public liability insurance for boating and land event.
3) Where's it to be held.
4) Advertising
5) Sponsorship who

Now to give you all an idea of cost I arranged a Christmas party on a beach reserve only 3 years ago and I sure learnt .
I thought ok it's a public area venue and it would be ok to put up a small marque and have a BBQ and drinks etc for about 60 people.
laugh.gif the ranger came and I was lucky, he allowed me to arrange the necessary permit. $1500 at the ouncil chambers.
Then he asked about insurance ,well the company insurance broker was on hand, and he arranged it under the open policy on the phone and the ranger was satisfied but $300 for the policy 1 day only and a $10 million cover.
That's why we now have our Christmas party at Golf clubs and it,s only customers ,not like before when it was more a family thing which is a crying shame..
So just think and ask question before we make a decision.
But I was thinking more of an open simple forum event as a competition.
Like tell us yah best fish tale with pictures and let the members etc vote on it.
Prizes to be simple like first a $50 voucher 2nd $30.00 and third $20 at a place to be decided.
That was what I was thinking, and as we get more member's we can look at the more elaborate events.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 28 2007, 04:56 AM
Post #24

His Eminance

oz I dont think there's enough active members here to warrant what you initially suggested.

I was having a word with The Chop the other day when he came around to sort out my transducer bracket & the topic came up about charities etc

I haven't said anything to him yet as I wanted to get some sort of reaction & ideas from the guys here 1st

The prize is a good one & I think thats what you need to arouse interest & like I said in a previous post I'd have no probs coming up with other worth while fishing tacke as prizes.

But Co's dont just give it to you because your name is Jumpus or oz man etc you need to put foward a proposal I know a few peeps in the industry so got my foot in the door already.

So how about some more idea's guys ??

And like both oz & i already said rule out organising days out for others but different story if say we had a outing where everybody chips in a fee & a prize goes to the person with best capture of the day

--------------------

+Quote Post
hustler57
post Jul 28 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #25

*LaVistaBaby*

Member No.: 22

Jumpus GooDarus Posted Jul 27 2007, 07:21 PM
Dosen't work like that hustler esp these days where everybody is sueing everybody.

well actually jg in our case it did and it still does, since my wife sometimes looks after disabled people whom we take out on the boat, the parents are liable for the child until we all get on the boat and thats when my insurance policy comes in,

but in future il just keep all of my thoughts on all topics to myself.,

--------------------
............GLOBAL WARMING............

HIGHER SEA LEVELS

MORE FISHING SPOTS

BRING IT ON

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 28 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #26

His Eminance

No need to do that the whole idea of this thread is for peeps to put forward ideas, some will not be workable others will.

Getting back to what you proposed you're an individual doing a good deed when you take out a person on your boat but here we've talking about an organised even hence the organisers are responsible to take out insurance policies for that event & like I said costs of that would eat away to any proceeds raised which would be better served as a donation.

Also bear in mind & I'm assuming your wife has had some training in looking after the disabled I for one am clueless & if say a medical emergency arose I'd be scratching my head.

Going back many years ago my girlfriend @ the time, her sister looked after disabled kids & I know she was trained to do so so when she brought them home or for a days outing I didn't have to fear their fate would be in my hands had something gone wrong.

Same thing when the fishing club I was with many years ago organised outings for the disabled kids sure we'd supply the boats but a seperate insurance policy was taken out for the event by the organisers & there was a trained person on board in case of an emergency.

--------------------

+Quote Post
oz man
post Jul 28 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #27

The Guru

QUOTE (hustler57 @ Jul 29 2007, 04:49 AM) *
Jumpus GooDarus Posted Jul 27 2007, 07:21 PM

well actually jg in our case it did and it still does, since my wife sometimes looks after disabled people whom we take out on the boat, the parents are liable for the child until we all get on the boat and thats when my insurance policy comes in,

nah not to yourself, but I understand what your saying the parent basically sign a waiver this can be verbal or written .
But I,m not 100% sure on the boat policy as everyone may have a different type of policy.

The problems with most forums and any type of club , you have to look at where does every member live.
How will they get to the venue , is there sufficient public transport , is there enough parking, how many will need a ride in a boat.Ok it might be good for some but not for others eg Joe's only ever fished fresh and Bill well he's a deep water offshore fisherman. Now what sort of event would yah have to suit both.
I know most of you regular boys are M8 and that great and you will travel but I,m just pointing out the possible problems .

To be actual I love the Idea of Kids as both Ozwoman and myself are Foster cares just not active at present as 1 kid pulled the string and broke the old heart and the department was an asshole.

Sorry back to the subject we need something that is for all member and maybe invite outsiders.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jul 28 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #28

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Hey Hustler, DON"T think that your Ideas are being Shot Down, some decisions need to be carefully considered. I for one can only sit back and see what transpires. WE need Members like yourself to keep putting proposals forward, I for one would like to be in a position like yourself to be able to put forward some great ideas but as you know some of us live out at woop woop and it makes things difficult, I live at Manilla THE Paragliding Capital of the World but I don't think that a competition of jumping off the Mountain and soaring up 10,000 feet would meet with much appreciation, thats why you have heard no proposals from me. You just keep up the good work and ::We of the Never Never ( and I speak for all our distant members)will sit back and see if there is any way that we can contribute or just JOIN IN. So just KEEP those Ideas rolling in.

This post has been edited by SUMOFISHIN: Jul 28 2007, 09:05 PM

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 29 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #29

His Eminance

By no means was I shooting down hustlers idea I'm not narrow minded @ all esp when it comes to matters such as this & think both Donny & myself gave fair enough reasons why something like that cant happen.

Whether you want to believe it or not we were talking about an organised event & to the best of my knowledge such events remain the responsibility of the organisers in this case being fishing oz style not up to the individual boat owners.

We are also talking sponsored prizes here & I dont think sponsors would take to kindly knowing they've sponsored an event which didn't carry appropriate liability insurance esp if something did go wrong & the press gave bad publicity to the outing & their product was mentioned.

I said earlier that I did have a few idea's here's one of them & I promise I wont take offence if someone picks on it in fact if there is a flaw I'd rather someone did pick on it.

OK we've got our main prize & runner up prizes can also be organised

I think a prolonged competition for those prizes can be a good thing both to raise more money & promote this site way I figure it the more peeps here the more we can branch out & raise $$$'s

We cant have a raffle because permits etc have to be taken out but there is a loophole I'll have to look into it & make sure it still exists last thing we want is to be sued & they wont take we're doing it for charity as an excuse either.

I have no probs putting up say a spinning reel or other tackle to members here in reward for their efforts @ the end of each months I'm talking about selling tickets to a guessing competition with the person selling the most winning the prize naturally I'll exclude myself from prizes I have this way with peeps & I know alot of buiness people.

I'll just take their wallets laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Jul 29 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #30

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

JG this is our first go at running a comp so lets keep it simple as for selling tickets no way i will spend what little time i get fishin, what i would like to see is photo comp all can participate, IT should be run over a 3 months, with a charge of $5 per pix it will not have to be a fish pix it could be a city scape landscape this way all can have a go we wont raise a lot but it will be a start.
i know this is a fishing sight but we have a lot of members how don't fish so lets have a go and see what happens u never know i might get a shot of the P M COLAPSING after his walk. hysterical.gif
this idea is most likely full of holes so shot it down if it is and we will try to think of another way B)

This post has been edited by poly: Jul 30 2007, 12:00 AM

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 30 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #31

His Eminance

oz & I were discussing basically what you are saying poly the other day in the shoutbox oz suggested it I sort of shot it down & again I'll give my reasons to those who didn't read the shouts.

1st I'll like to say that I dont have any probs if you guys want such comps rum I'm nutral & have no interest in winning prizes now whether it be a photo comp or fishing comp I think somewhere someone down the line will get upset or offended because their entry did not win.

catchnrelease our very own googlefish started a thread back @ SF wanting to know if a fishing comp could be held there I had a bit of fun with him mainly stiring the cr*p out of him BUT when I wasn't stiring I put some very good reasons why I thought such a comp couldn't be fair main one for example who's to judge ??

Mods over there volunteed I Q'd alot of issues does the prize get awarded to biggest fish does it get awarded to best capture etc etc in other words I dont think the comp could be fair unless of course a nominated species of fish was elected prior to competition.

Same goes with photo's who's 2B the judge & what if that judge dosen't have your taste in whats a good photo ??

Besides how many members do you really think would enter ????? there's not that many hear

AS far as

JG this is our first go at running a comp so lets keep it simple as for selling tickets no way i will spend what little time i get fishin,

poly no one expects you to go sat on a pub crawl to sell tickets by any means, honestly you'll find peeps will buy them say family & friends simply because it's a bloody good cause most people have kids.

Dont worry about my comment in last reply I get hit with donations for similar causes all the time & wouldn't mind a bit of pay back laugh.gif but thats just me

Another reason I think Raffle tickets are a good idea is we can have /www.fishing-oz-style printed on them so who ever buys one & has access to a computer can visit the site if anything just to see how the competion/raffle is going & I thought a visit to the hospital to get one of the kids to draw the winner would be a nice touch as well

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smelly
post Aug 14 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #32

*GasMask*

Member No.: 26

C'mon guys whats go'n on???

Dont tell me its the same old story.

People volunteer to do a good deed.But as soon as they find out there's a bitta hard yakka or they have to do something for another they run.

I too liked the photo idea Poly,but after reading JG's spin on the tickets,i think it's

BLOODY BRILLIANT,specialy for jg to think of it hysterical.gif

Anyway i for one will partake by ordering the first lot of tickets,c'mon jg i'll take 300.

So who's with me,let's get the name out there.

SMELLY

--------------------
catch ya
SMELLY

+Quote Post
oz man
post Aug 14 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #33

The Guru

Well you have my vote on the ticket side , just have to find out the legal side with the lotteries department.

--------------------

+Quote Post
squizzytaylor
post Aug 14 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #34

Garfish

Member No.: 213

Charities
Just a couple of points guys, Some guys off the Newcastle site I mod for have been talking to Canteen recently about getting the kids out on the water fishing for a day and public liability is the least of thier concerns. For high profile charities like this money is usually and I use this word cautiously "abundant" its getting people to do the hard yards that they have difficulty with. The newcastle plan was to get them out fishing for a couple of hours (so sponsorship will more than likely envolve a stack of $20.00 combos and terminal tackle) and a flotilla of boats with appropriate pfds etc to equip them with). And finish up with a BBQ, the combos are to be kept by the kids at the end of the day. This idea is still in its infancy but Im happy to advise of any hiccups and or wins that we encounter.
Comps etc
Not a great fan of prize comps as (this is sad I know) but where there are prizes there are cheats. Certificates are all we offer as prizes for fishing comps, Lucky door prizes are not covered undered the lottery act and there is no law against a charge to cover BBQ expenses etc if you follow me. So a $10.00 charge may cover a sausage sanga and 5 tickets in a lucky door draw. Same result with no legal wrangles.

Cheers
GT

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 14 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #35

His Eminance

suizzy

Think I mentioned it earlier that thefishing club I fished with did that many moons ago with the kids members offered their boats & it was a great success

BUT !

Bear in mind we are talking about a talking about a fishing club with quite a few active members who knew each other very well & the ladies took care of alot of the duties, here we have a new board we've only been going for a few months now most of us have never met, we all live all over the place not local to one another etc etc.

This makes it very hard to organise something like that maybe down the track when we have a bigger active member base it may be possible but not @ present.

Not a great fan of prize comps as (this is sad I know) but where there are prizes there are cheats

Thats why I dont fish comp any more & I'm not a big lover of prizes for captures to many if & buts & someone is certain to get pee'd off.

What I suggested was a monthly prize to the member who pulled his finger out & sold the most tickets more as an insentive eveyone has the same oportunity to win the prize & no one can bitch about it.

After all the whole aim of the project is to raise money for charity not to have a competition amoungst ourselves

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Aug 15 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #36

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

Lets do it jumpy!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 15 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #37

His Eminance

I need a few weeks to tidy up some loose ends & projects then I'll start inquiring & organising it

In the meantime I'd like to see a few more members come forward in this thread who are willing to participate

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasonb
post Jan 6 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #38

the wizz kid

Member No.: 9

none because theres not enough members on here for one to make it happen ,its allright to say yeah ill do it but when it comes down to it hardly anyone shows up ,been involved with this before and thats all that happens

--------------------
allways in the shit ,its just the depth that varies

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Jan 6 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #39

*Telescopic Stick*

Member No.: 8

i good game would be each week you have to pick a fish eg snapper and who catches the biggest one then a dewy and goes on for as long as we decide and the one that has caught the nominated fish in right size wins ....eg 4 weeeks four different fish for each week ..?????

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 6 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #40

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

HEY IT Looks like JASON and MYSELF will have to run our own COMP.

we can have a TRIATHLON, 1 Cod , 1 Goat, 1 Pig,

Sounds Fair for our Region.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:52 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates