Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vangaurd Sub-moa Vs Tikka T3 Hunter
Fishing oz style > Quackerdoo ! > Hunting !
Spudly
Have anyone used wither of these rifles as ive kind of narrowed my search to one of the two?
Both Stainless Barrels.

Looking at matching with a Leopold 3x9x40 Scope and Prolly in the 22-250 or 223 calibre.

Vanguard - Fibregaurd Composite Stock, Adjustable trigger, Fluted Bolt, Sub-MOA Gaurentee (less that 0.99) 5 +1 Topload with Hinged floor plate.
Tikka - Timber Stock, Adjustable Trigger, Tikkas Great Reputation, 3 shot Magazine +1 (223 is 4 +1)

Trying to decide.
SUMOFISHIN
Chad the Weatherguard or Vanguard are made in Japan by Howa who make a lot of the Weatherby's and also made the Australian Mountineer, they are a heavier rifle which makes them a better rifle in higher calibers as in 308 and above, whereas the Tikka is a lighter frame rifle and is a lot easier to handle especially in 22 calibers except 220 Swift.
Spudly
So you would reccomend the tikka sumo?

The Tikka in question is T3 Hunter Stainless, The main thing turning me off at the moment is the 3 shot Magazine..... Can get a 5 shot but extra $200!!

The Weatherby has got some great reveiws and the tikka has a strong following with its great reputation.. Im stuck at the moment...

Probably going to 22-250 as Im hping to get out and chase some pigs/deer out west in the future.
poly
RUM just what type of hunting do u do, i am trying to find out your preferred method, such as sniping over a long distance, or to stork in close, maybe gully sweeping is the way to go, u really need to let us know so we can advise on both calibur and rifle type.
if i were u i would take a lot of advice from SUMO as he is well versed in bath calibur and rifle type.
for my self i like the 6.5by55 for medium size game chambered in a modern rifle it will give great accuracy and knock down power.
there is one thing u must remember i can still see a dear dropped using a 50cal brown Bess and to me that is hunting, one chance one shot biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
STEVE.P
And if you miss poly is it the deer's turn. laugh.gif laugh.gif
poly
And if you miss poly is it the deer's turn.

there goods shots to bleave me. hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
Spudly
most of my shooting is in the 200+ range, and going to futher if i start chasing them futher out west...

Its not the calibre i am after though,

Its the brand im tossing up with.... Tikka T3 vs Weatherby Vanguard (SUB-MOA)
SUMOFISHIN
Chad , there is no doubt in my mind that I would prefer the Tikka in a small calibur, but think carefully! you don't like the fact that it only has a 3 shot mag? well the Howa only has a 4 shot mag as in most rifles! don't forget also that you have one in the breach making it 4 verses 5
now if you want more I would suggest that you look for a Semi Auto. my preference is falling block action single shot (But that is my preference) you also stated a 22.250 for larger game???
If you want to shoot larger game as in Goats and pigs at over 200yds you would want to kill them not put a pin hole in them and let them die a slow death.
think carefully as in small calibur the 223 is now superior than the 22.250 which is a necked down 308 and is becoming obsolete, the military is using 223 for its superiority, and if you want more knock down power for pigs and goats have a look at the 7.62x39 which is a shortened 303 as used by Russian and Asian Military, It has the knock down power of a 303 or 308 using 120gn Projectile yet is still a very capable fox calibur in military ammo. The Viet Cong didn't muck around.
Spudly
Tikka 223 is unavailable untill march... :(
SUMOFISHIN
Have a good look at the market availability Chad, there is a lot of good quality arms out there and there is not a great deal of difference in Prices .
poly
RUM how about an up date have u decided yet biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
STEVE.P
QUOTE (STEVE.P @ Oct 26 2007, 07:53 PM) *
And if you miss poly is it the deer's turn. laugh.gif laugh.gif

poly he doesn't like the odds
Spudly
Yep, well on the advice of a close friend who is a roo trapper and talking to some keen pig hunters i work with, they said that any rifle you can get a good deal on will do the job with a good scope.

I got a great deal on a Weatherby SUB MOA, customised up with custom trigger and fluted barrel, Leupold Gold Scope, Fibregaurd barrel,

I have put around a hundered rounds through it and am Extremly happy, Very clean shots, little recoil, and drops whatever it hits!

This is a pic of the basic version..

Spudly
already looking for the next one...

.22LR with a 4x Scope... For the Wabbits and for the Cheap Ammo...

would luv a CZ or a Sako..
poly
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Nov 13 2007, 08:14 PM) *
Yep, well on the advice of a close friend who is a roo trapper and talking to some keen pig hunters i work with, they said that any rifle you can get a good deal on will do the job with a good scope.

I got a great deal on a Weatherby SUB MOA, customised up with custom trigger and fluted barrel, Leupold Gold Scope, Fibregaurd barrel,

I have put around a hundered rounds through it and am Extremly happy, Very clean shots, little recoil, and drops whatever it hits!

This is a pic of the basic version..

what round did u get it in 223.??????
Spudly
completly forgot to put that in, 22-250

223, tikkas unavailble for a while.. and didnt really like the 223's my local had on offer.
Spudly
Another UPDATE!!

After shooting with the 22.250 for a few months now and sending a few hundered rounds through it, Im extremly happy with the package, If anything a slightly more powerful scope might be handy but im happy at the moment and not goign to change it. The quailty through the Leupold is great.

I would make the same decision again, The 223 would be a better package back home, but the 250 means that when im out west i have the extra power to stop em and that has come in handy a few times, especially with the extra bit of range on big open paddocks..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.