Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bait Presentation
Fishing oz style > Chat > Tackle Talk
Spudly
Just wondering the best way of rigging things like squid and pilchards on to your tackle.

are you better using a 1 or two hook rig on things like strip baits and squid?

what about pilchards? Us 1 or 2 hooks or gangs?

Is a single hook through the head (or tip of squid) enough? or would a 2 hoork stup be better?
Smelly
Hey Chadd,is that prawn on a 2hook gang?if so neva seen it done like that,i normally peel all my prawns,yes even to fish not eat,but if i don't peel it and want to use it whole i just put a single hook through the tail section like you've done,somtimes i even put a prawn on the hook head first,instead of the other way. :blink:

With the strip baits i'm not a big fan of gangs,unless go'n for tailor with pillies,so i'd use either a 2hook rigg(tied on a leader) or just a single hook with a 1/2hitch to keep it nice.

As for the pillies i normally use gangs,but i have been known to feed a single hook through the eye then looping it through the bait a coupla times to leave a small hook burried in the guts,i know,i know it's not the right way to do things but it has paid off a few times when fish had been pinching pillies off gangs.I even hooked the biggest jew i've ever hooked fishing like this :huh: .

Now all we've got left is the gang with the whitebait,a great flathead bait.With them i used to just grab a few and just hook 1 on each hook,looks like a little school and the flatties cant resist.

And remember some fish take a pillie head first,others like Jumpus fish take it the other end first so rig your pillies to suit the fish ya chase'n.Another trick i used to use was to load the pillies mouth and guts with tuna oil soaked chook pellets,that was after i'd soaked the whole trace in the juices that'd build up on the bait board,the whole time with my back to me mates on the boat.Geez the things ya do when ya fish in comps laugh.gif .

SMELLY
Spudly
not my rigs, just the only ones that i found.

the prawn is a single hook

The strip bait is using 2 hooks, but i would imagine that one singl hook would be sufficient if chasing snapper or such?

The squid is similar to how i would rig them, however using a single hook i would just go through the tip,
Using 2 hooks my lower hook would go through the hood (inside) and come out the bottom of the hood and rigged through th head, the top hook would go through th tip.

Pilchards I normally rig as in the pic, but Id like to rig them using a single or 2 hooks. Would a single hook through the nose be ok for snapper.
Smelly
Pilchards I normally rig as in the pic, but Id like to rig them using a single or 2 hooks. Would a single hook through the nose be ok for snapper

Naah i think they're one of the fish that take it head first(someone confirm please) and i'm sure i've seen them rigged with a single hook as you'd pin a livie,in the shoulder area with a 1/2 hitch 'round the tail,hope that helps.

SMELLY
Spudly
when people say half hitch Im sure thats not what they mean, a half hitch would result in a granny knot in the line once the hook pulls tight and the line cuts through the bait? This would dramaticaly weaken the line and be impossable to undo.

Perhaps a clove hitch or evan a half clove hitch would be a better knot to use?
This will when pulled through the bait untie itself and leave no knots in the line.
Jumpus GooDarus
Think you better go get your eyes tested Chadd Chadd laugh.gif

That prawn has a secondry hook embeded into it personally I dont use nor like gang setups & that pic you supplied is a perfect example why I dont like them.

On every single bait the hook point is embeded into the bait, grant you say the prawn is pretty soft & the hook point can easily pretrude once the pressure of a strike is applied but when rigging up any bait whatso ever in my book the hook point must be pretuding out past the bait.

No different to lures would you embed a hook point back inside a soft plastic ??????????

1/2 hitch's are a must as well if you want bait to sit natural moreso if fishing floaters
Spudly
A half hitch is a granny kno and will knot the bait though????????? think about it? once the hook pulls tight the knot will pull through the bait and form a granny knot in the line

your right jumpy, was late last night and my eyes were playing up!! haha
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Aug 3 2007, 03:26 PM) *
A half hitch is a granny kno and will knot the bait though????????? think about it? once the hook pulls tight the knot will pull through the bait and form a granny knot in the line

What a Load of CRAP laugh.gif laugh.gif

Who's been telling you these lies ?????????????????

I wont put a bait out unless it's got a 1/2 hitch around it somewhere & I dont get knots
Spudly
well im sure your not using a half hitch then, your using half a clove hitch, A half hitch is commenly refered to as a granny knot which you all know, what you would be using is probably a half clove hitch where you put a single twisted loop over it.
Spudly
http://www.theropepeople.com/HalfHitchi.html

Jumpus GooDarus
Buggered if I know what the knot I use is called

I've always used it & it's always been refered to as a 1/2 hitch by myself & everyone else I know.

The whole idea of it is to keep bait from sliding up & down the hook & it releases itself very easy sometimes I even apply a double Jumpus 1/2 hitch laugh.gif
Spudly
u will have to take a pic jumpus.. ;)
Jumpus GooDarus
None of the above but everyone I know refers to it as a half hitch

It's very simple just make a loop 1'2 twist it over the bait & pull it tight there may be a name for it but buggered if I know what it is

I just know it as a half hitch & the same hitch is refered to the same name as I know it as on any of the tv shows that I've seen

Actually already had a pic uploaded to my imageshack account it's a bit hard to see the line but it's definately not the 1/2 hich on that link you'll always knot up using that hitch.

Another thing if you notice I wrap my hitch up the bait free of the hook eye & shank as this can result in the hitch not releasing properly

Spudly
Yeep That looks like half a clove hitch, that is what I would use..

Just good to get the naming right I think.. smile.gif

Does bead help to keep it on the bait? or serve another purpose?
Jumpus GooDarus
Well if there's any Hippy Fish about the bead gets them every time

I've been using beads for a few years now & if you're asking me do they work ??

I'd have to say yes
Spudly
Fair enough, You just run them fre above to hook?

Any types of fishing thy work or dont work in?
Jumpus GooDarus
Yeah they just run up & down the line

Years ago I only used the bigger luminous beads or a night stick when I fished for Jewgong but these days it's just automatic that a bead goes on when I'm rigging up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.