Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attaching Leaders
Fishing oz style > Chat > Tackle Talk
Spudly
What method do you think is best for attaching leaders?

Being pretty average at tying knots still, i just use the double uni knot!
catchnrelease
I use an albright knot. Quick and strong. B)
Spudly
if attaching a heavier leader to a single line its good, if attaching a lighter braid to a light mono leader it can be harder as the line always wants to twist away on me.

should add, if ive got a double the no name knot (which is similar to the albright) is a easy knot to tie. Not sure how strong it would be braid to mono though? the braid may cut the leader?
catchnrelease
I've used the albright with 2lb braid to 4lb leader and did not have any problems with the leader being cut.
Arnie Dog
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Jul 3 2007, 02:42 PM) *
if attaching a heavier leader to a single line its good, if attaching a lighter braid to a light mono leader it can be harder as the line always wants to twist away on me.

should add, if ive got a double the no name knot (which is similar to the albright) is a easy knot to tie. Not sure how strong it would be braid to mono though? the braid may cut the leader?

Chad the Lad that is a good topic. I have always said fishing is a personal thing and stand by that. If something serves you well it would be foolish to change. I just use the same as you Uni to Uni. When doing thin trace to thin braid I always do a Bimini Twist (Double) It is interesting to do this on your own but I have mastered ( No offence Jumpy) doing it with my toes to spread the loop and do it quite well. keep up the good work Chad

The Dog
Spudly
you put the double in your main line arnie?
Jumpus GooDarus
I've seen how Arnie ties his leaders on & each to their own if it works then use it.
Personally I wont use a double unless it's plated suppose the old spider hitch is ok if you've just been done & need one in a hurry I'm refering to fishing Game of course.

I dont use doubles if bait fishing or lure casting tie leader to braid on my spin outfits & only use short leaders on bait outfits think with doubles you're prone to a great deal more line twist if fishing in current
Arnie Dog
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Jul 3 2007, 05:49 PM) *
you put the double in your main line arnie?

Yeah Chad on the mainline that gives you a bit extra thickness for the heavier leader to take a good grip on the light line. As I said on heavier line I don't bother but on light stuff I believe it is a must.
Just my humble opinion
Arnie Dog
QUOTE (Arnie Dog @ Jul 4 2007, 06:47 AM) *
Yeah Chad on the mainline that gives you a bit extra thickness for the heavier leader to take a good grip on the light line. As I said on heavier line I don't bother but on light stuff I believe it is a must.
Just my humble opinion

Chad i'm no Guru and don't profess to be but it works for me so I do it
fish
Hi Chad,
K I S...I use uni knots...simple and strong, just like me,I have only lost one fish to knot failure and that was b4 I went 2 uni. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
Spudly
Yea, seems like what i have been doing is working ok...

Havnt mastered the bimni yet or the plait but ill keep trying. At the moment been doing the spider hitch as its EASY!
STEVE.P
Its a wonder you catch fish, FISH.
have a go at the last pic looks like cloths line. :mellow: :mellow: :huh: :o biggrin.gif laugh.gif
fish
Mate I dont know either :mellow: I do everything wrong...fibreglass boat,Suzuki 4st outboard,Navman electrics,uni knots and I even use braid 4 trolling ...amazing...but I have a lot of fun and catch plenty of fish ...like this one Trolling with 6 year old braid on a TLD 20 of all things ...
STEVE.P
NICE Reds there mate,
Spudly
Fish, maybe this was spose to go in the mono vs braid topic? hahaha!

either way.... I can see your point....

every one has there own way of doing this and what suits them is fine...

I do think that ill be using more mono than braid though, simply just for cost...
Will use braid on spinning reels, and mono on rest...
Double Uni knot for joining lines together!!

All to easy..
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Jul 4 2007, 03:28 PM) *
Yea, seems like what i have been doing is working ok...

Havnt mastered the bimni yet or the plait but ill keep trying. At the moment been doing the spider hitch as its EASY!

Plaits are very easy BUT you must plait very tight else you will have the thing slide & bunch up on you, I generally do my plaits 5 - 6 inch's in length.

On the lighter lines finish of with a series of 1/2 hitches on either line coming from the double on lines 15 kg & up I cut the tail line @ a slant with a razor & weave it back through the plait itself.

Fish, maybe this was spose to go in the mono vs braid topic? hahaha!

I thought it was supposed to be Attaching Leaders hoohoohoo tongue.gif
SUMOFISHIN
This is supposed to be a :gathering: please dont turn it into an argue.gif we all have opinions that vary cheers.gif
poly
:offtopic: :gathering: the no name knot works for me, sorry it took so long to reply but i was trying to find out what it 's name was :gathering: clapping hands.gif oops.gif
Mully
here are a few of my favourites click and print them if you like there from my sites...

http://fishingcampingforum.com/html/sergeons_loop.html

http://fishingcampingforum.com/html/double_uni_knot.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.