Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Forget To Flush
Fishing oz style > Chat > Boating Talk
nimrod
Done the cardinal sin and left motor sitting without flushing for too long. After that last trip to the hacking.
It's something I preach to young and not so young boaters, and that is to flush motor after
each dunking weather salt water or fresh, smacked myself , HARD on the wrist and sat myself down
to a good ear bashing about the subject.
Too late now after 2 weeks of salt water sitting in the engine, and fuel in the carbs, but will flush
twice as long and hope some of the salt washes away.
Spudly
How many outboards live on the water and never get a flush.. Sure its best practise to do it every time but im sure she will be fine mate! ;)
Jumpus GooDarus
I rarely even flush
Only when i know boat wont be used for a while
Spudly
Yea, JG, you left stains in my dunny... PLEASE FLUSH next time!!!

how is the build going mate.. will give you a buzz tomorrow if you about!
Fed
Just curious Frank do you flush with the muffs or in a tub?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm convinced my thermostats don't open when I use the muffs.

I think the combined tap water pressure added to the water pump pressure is enough to open the poppet valves and at idle rpm that's enough cooling without opening the thermostats.

The whole time my pisser temp stays just a few degrees above the tap water temp where I think the pisser should get warmer until the stats open then cool down as the water starts flowing.

I don't flush much either.
nimrod
QUOTE (Fed @ Aug 14 2012, 10:45 AM) *
Just curious Frank do you flush with the muffs or in a tub?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm convinced my thermostats don't open when I use the muffs.

I think the combined tap water pressure added to the water pump pressure is enough to open the poppet valves and at idle rpm that's enough cooling without opening the thermostats.

The whole time my pisser temp stays just a few degrees above the tap water temp where I think the pisser should get warmer until the stats open then cool down as the water starts flowing.

I don't flush much either.

Fed Although I have a cut down wheelie bin fitted with bracket to hold motor, with the attatched motors ( that is the ones on boats ) I use ear muffs, Only use as much water pressure so there is always wet pump, many people make the mistake of having too much water pressure going into the motor which can cause damage to the impella.
The only time I don't flush after each use is if I know I am using the boat again the next day.
OR like last trip when I was just plum nackered when I got home and too bloody cold to be bothered playing around with water.
Even after fresh water use I still flush with fresh water cause the amount of sand/grit etc the motor picks up can still damage and block the system.
When using a drum to flush you are merely recirculating dirt grit and other particles back through the system.
Bit like having a bath you just soak in your own filth, that's why I shower and not bath.

Actuall I been expecting someone to put up a photo of a floating terd in the toilet, giving the title name tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Fed
Strange as it may seem Frank I disagree.

I always have water spewing out the sides of my muffs, if you shut the tap down so there's no excess how would you know if you were giving the motor enough water?

Excess water hurting the impeller.... rubbish.

I converted my last two sets of muffs to the new & improved high pressure setting for value added flushing.... squeeze down firmly against the concrete floor & hit with a lump hammer to tighten them up.

This would be a good topic on a forum with a lot of wankers...

Standard muffs low pressure.
Standard muffs high pressure.
Modified muffs low pressure.
Modified muffs extra high pressure.
Tub.
Tub + turd.

Hint: Try sucking on a running hose, it doesn't work.
nimrod
Fed. Not saying it's the right OR the wrong way to do things just stating how I do it after over 50 years of boat ownership and looking after.
If it's the wrong way, then I been doing it wrong all these years.
Fed
Yeah I can only go on what I've been told and a bit of common sense added in.

When I first got into outboards I asked the guys at Go Boating about flushing my 65HP Mercs & they said turn it on a bit but not full rip, wtf does that mean?

Then I got OMCs & asked 'the guy' the same question, he said let it rip the 90HPs use a heap of water. Who knows for sure... somewhere in that mix was a couple of 80HPs & a couple of 70HPs.

Interestingly the guy I'm using now is a properly trained OMC tech not a motor mechanic wannabe and he did mention that Mercs are high pressure low volume setups where OMC are low pressure high volume and that OMC water pumps are so over rated they never need impellers replacing unlike Mercs which can sometimes fail. I think Mercury have beefed up their later model water pumps now.

Gotta go & sharpen my hooks for the big fishing comp.
Spudly
I would imagine the pressure coming in the pickup on any decent hp at WOT would be as much as a hose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.