Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Boat
Fishing oz style > Chat > Boating Talk
poly
do you have a photo of your first

Paul
Fed
No photo Poly but I can give a description.

Hartley 15' plywood half cabin called 'Bluefin'.

Fitted with a 265 Cubic Inch side valve V8 Ford motor directly coupled to the prop shaft.
No gearbox, no dog clutch, no nothing.
Used to have to aim the boat to open water and as the starter motor was cranking over the boat was creeping forward, of course when it fired up all hell broke lose.
It was an exciting boat to get going on a cold morning.
poly
QUOTE (Fed @ Dec 29 2011, 08:42 AM) *
No photo Poly but I can give a description.

Hartley 15' plywood half cabin called 'Bluefin'.

Fitted with a 265 Cubic Inch side valve V8 Ford motor directly coupled to the prop shaft.
No gearbox, no dog clutch, no nothing.
Used to have to aim the boat to open water and as the starter motor was cranking over the boat was creeping forward, of course when it fired up all hell broke lose.
It was an exciting boat to get going on a cold morning.

sounds like real fun mate, that piece of tin shit dam near killed me
Fed
Come on, tell us the story mate.
poly
let me put it this way, they split open in a big bad storm
kkw
My first one was a DeHavilland 15ft almost the same as yours Pol. Used to go out of Port Hacking, down to Stanwell Humps, Garie, Marley etc for years. Got a photo somewhere. See if I can scan it.
Jumpus GooDarus
Dont rissen to Fed poly
His 1st boat was a whale attracting device but only for male whales they use to try humping it laugh.gif laugh.gif

Not to mention how salty would've been offended when Fed had to tie milk crates on a rope tow them behind to stabilise the boat laugh.gif laugh.gif

Go the Gudma laugh.gif
storms72
My first was a 10ft fibreglass tender found by accident in the bay behind our family house...I was windsurfing-bloody thing cost me a new fin and a sore head when I hit it at speed, a half brick was stuck in one of the holes in the floor...Used my dads 14ft trimcraft-6hp suzuki to tow the tender back home..A few days of glass over ply repairs, wood centre seat glassed in and a few $$$$ spent on a 2hp suzuki(local dealer was my old mans mate) rod holders, anchor, borrowed dads rope from trailer, I was the proud owner of what looked like a motorized sabot with a wonky crooked fibreglass winged keel laugh.gif ...that little boat helped me catch many many fish around the brisbane waters.

First family boat I remember was quinnie fishabout.
poly
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Dec 29 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Dont rissen to Fed poly
His 1st boat was a whale attracting device but only for male whales they use to try humping it laugh.gif laugh.gif

Not to mention how salty would've been offended when Fed had to tie milk crates on a rope tow them behind to stabilise the boat laugh.gif laugh.gif

Go the Gudma laugh.gif

And so j.g. what was your first boat a photo would be good, but a discristion (don't know how to spell that word) will do.
we all know it was a pressed tin thing with j.g. mods, so were is it now, sunk I would think or rooted away.

Paul
Fed
Ahhh, The Mighty Gudma, she was my second boat Jumpy you missed the first one.

Was thinking about my old boats today & realized the Seafarer is the first mono c/w single outboard I've ever owned, all the others have been sterndrives, shaftdrives and the Cat.

I'm a bit of a keeper, 5 boats in 40 years not counting jointly owned boats because they don't relly feel like they're yours.

I had the same car for 25 years, I like to get my moneys worth out of things.
Jumpus GooDarus
Geezus poly

Ewe detroyed a perfectly good tinny just so could use the yellow canopy & go around telling evlly bloody's you had a polycraft

Hell you're weider than the seafairy owners on this site laugh.gif laugh.gif
nimrod
My first means of water transportation was half of a cable roll/holder, flat piece of wood from one side of a reel that holds the cables for the electricity,,,, ( leckie things were starting to become popular when I first took to the water ) I got a large straightish pole and pushed this raft along the river, Parramatta river.
My first factory made boat was a savage 12' tinnie and a 4hp johno motor on trailer, before I got a drivers licence, so my brother inlaw would tow it down the river launch me in it and pick me up later in the day.
A couple of years later i got my licence and a car and started fishing places I couldn't get to before that.
I have had that many boats I can't remember them all.
I have had my 12' punt now for about 40 years and probably die with it.
nimrod
My first boat I ever went outside the heads in was a 15' wooden clinker with single cylinder lister engine and prop on a shaft. You started it by spinning a huge thick flywheel and it had a lever that you slammed into gear.
First place outside I ever fished was jibbon bombora, shortly after that I heard of a place called the peak and after a few hairy trips out there over a few years I decided to get a propper boat and bought a new Pongrass 17' 2" waverider, that was about 1970.
Today I have another pongrass waverider in my stable and it's still as good a boat as they were in 1970.
Jumpus GooDarus
Did ewe drive it in the nutty frank laugh.gif laugh.gif
Spudly
Picked up my new one today....
Fed
What did you get Rumpus?
Spudly
Hope the pic works!

Fed
Excellent mate perfect allrounder, what size motor is on it?
poly
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jan 4 2012, 10:27 PM) *
Hope the pic works!

Chad this will never do, we need a complete photo spread and no air brushing, we need to see it as it really is.

Paul
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (Fed @ Jan 4 2012, 09:03 PM) *
What did you get Rumpus?

a 1/2 boat laugh.gif laugh.gif

Told him i didn't need a life boat when he rocked up with it esp a 1/2 a raft laugh.gif

Spud dosen't know but i needed a place to do some wee wee's laugh.gif laugh.gif
NetPez
Firstboat i fished in was a 12ft dehavlin car topper with a 5 1/2 hp johnson
fished the maclay at SW rocks and the Hacking
Spudly
Well Here ya's are, a few pics of her...

As she was when we picked her up!

Doing what you do in boats, just out enjoying ourselves. Pulled up at a beach in sussix inlet having a swim.

The Veiw from the fishing Deck...

The front end, Bed up front for the missus, Navman 6500 trackfish, still trying to work it out, need a card and for some reason it does not get water temp reading..

Plumbed live bait tank, has a rear pickup with pump and also another pump/airator inside the tank, both run together. Not sure why or if both are needed?

The Business end.. Fires up first go everytime, sits on 50km at 4000rpm very nicly, max speed at 5500 rpm around 70-75km.

kkw
Love the boat, the Chad. Nice quiet spot at Sussex. Had it all to yourselves, I see.
Fed
That's a ripper of a boat Rumpus I bet you're one happy chappy.

I'll have to hide this thread from Denise otherwise I might have to open my wallet up & let a lifetimes worth of moths fly out.

It looks like brand new and the fit out looks like it's been done properly too.

You should be able to give Jumpy a run for his money against his big green dog dish.

Well done mate, bring on the Marlin.
Spudly
Too right Mr Fed, I am a very happy chappy....
She is in great nic, everything is very neat in her, all the wiring is good and work on the boat has been done properly.

One of my pet hates is underpowered boats and every other Haines 540 we seen had a 90 or 115 on it where this had the 130 so she really gets up and going.

Still trying to fgure out the GPS/Sonar system but slowly working it out, Its a navman 6500 and I havnt used one before.

You should be able to give Jumpy a run for his money against his big green dog dish.

Without a doubt is faster and handles better than the dog dish, much quieter and smoother ride.. Dont need to wear earplugs in this one. ;)
quintrex101
Nice boat Chad, i love Haines, great looking boats, the only thing i would hate is to be paying the fuel bill for her, how goes she go on the juice ?

Heres my first boat, thanks to my dad

Click to view attachment
Fed
As you said earlier it's a little bit of a strange setup with the second pump inside the live bait tank but that's the only weird thing I can see, maybe the PO just didn't get it.

Does it have a planing plank to go with the variable deadrise?

I've seen 37Knots with a 90HP and I think our hulls would be close to the same LOA, The Seafarer is 5.2M with a blunted off bow & no bowsprit but the Haines would be a deeper V and be much happier with the 130HP on it. 75KPH is plenty fast enough for anyone.

Are you going to try it without the foil I would if I was you, mine came with an underpowered 70HP and a foil so I took it off and it made no difference at all.

I've had my furuno GPS for 10 years and still can't figure it out, it's menu system was written by a lunatic. I think if I played with it a bit more it would get easier.

Without a doubt is faster and handles better than the dog dish, much quieter and smoother ride.. Dont need to wear earplugs in this one. ;)

You bastard there's coffee running out of my nose now. hysterical.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
It's a bloody mexicans boat spud
Ewe should go down to victoria where they'll believe the nonsense you're saying laugh.gif laugh.gif

How's your mild steel swnder heard they're standard with that model

oh yeah you'll need to get an electric winch so ewe can hang yourself & dont 4get the rocket jumpers laugh.gif laugh.gif
Spudly
I've seen 37Knots with a 90HP and I think our hulls would be close to the same LOA, The Seafarer is 5.2M the with a blunted off bow & no bowsprit but the Haines would be a deeper V and be much happier with the 130HP on it. 75KPH is plenty fast enough for anyone.

I read an article about new hull when it came out (mine) and they changed a few things manly the Variable dead rise. They say other than better handling of the chop that it will do with a 90 what the old boat did with a 100.. The test boat in the review had a 90 on it.. Im not one to believe reviews to much as i think they are oftern biased but im also biased atm so since this review gives my boat a great wrap then i recon its a great review.. smile.gif

I have changed the GPS SOG to read knots now as the yammy speedo reads in KMS, so ill get a true speed reading in kt's next time im out.

Are you going to try it without the foil I would if I was you, mine came with an underpowered 70HP and a foil so I took it off and it made no difference at all.

Yea, i did think about it before taking it for a run but it handles really nicely... Better than other boats ive been in ;) ....
Maybe one day ill rip it off and go for a run but ya know the saying, if it ain't broke... curiosity will get the better of me one day...
Spudly
http://www.marinews.com/boating/boat-test/...shing-boat/255/

if anyone is interested in the reveiw?
Fed
That's a pretty good review mate even the 90HP would be livable at a pinch.
Hey POLY, this is what you should get.
nimrod
Rumpus. I have 4 sale if you are at all interested a Cmap that covers the east coast from
AUC219 Port Macdonnell To Prin. Charlotte Bay $362.10 RRP that is port macdonnell SA to Princess charlotte bay north qld.
It is a used map but is OK it's yours for $100 if you want it.
I got it when I went up to n qld but never used it. My other one only goes from eden to central coast which is the area I fish, so I don't use the east coast one.

Ps get rid of that pump in the LBT it will only get in the way when you're trying to catch a livie to put on the hook, and you will stress the livies out too much chasing them around.
Spudly
double post... opps!
Spudly
is that a NT + card or something?

Yea, I cant figure out why the 2 pumps, if the stern pump is running it will be airating the tank itself without the other running. and if the tank pump was on its own switch you could run it just to airate the tank without pumping fresh water but why would you do that? I might possibly move it and turn it into a deck wash on its own switch, but for now im just gonna get out and enjoy it as it is and when i sus it all out ill start making changes...
Fed
Does the pump on the transom have a pickup scoop on it if not it won't pump when you're on the plane and the guy might have put the one inside the tank to try & keep the water aerated.
Fed
Forget that I just spied the scoop in the first pic.
nimrod
It's an N T + card. Pump won't supply enough water pressure to be any use as a deck wash, a bucket would do the same job.
Spudly
Cool, frank, do you know what the details on the maps are like, ive seen some recently that didnt show contours.. didnt even show middle ground in JB.. Was on a rough noisy plate boat that leant to a side admittedly so cant expect to much, but id like maps that show the ocean floor contours..
Jumpus GooDarus
AUC219 Port Macdonnell To Prin. Charlotte Bay

That'll suit the mashed potato just fine frank

He's only got 1/2 a boat so 1/2 a card is all he needs laugh.gif laugh.gif
kkw
I gave a bloke a copy of Magellan Blue Nav, which shows contours etc. Shows middle ground in JB. He mustn't be using it on lopsided plate.
poly
QUOTE (Fed @ Jan 11 2012, 10:14 AM) *
That's a pretty good review mate even the 90HP would be livable at a pinch.
Hey POLY, this is what you should get.

no you could not give me one it will have to be

a poly 5.3 or

swiftcraft dominator or

a Seafarer Viking

unless Jumpy can show me a plate boat would be better

Paul
Spudly
Heya Frank... Ill take you up on that offer mate, if ya can hold off till i get back to work and back home to sort it out.
Fed
I'm sure the Haines would be every bit as good as a Seafarer Poly, better in the rough but maybe a little more tender at rest.

Did yours come with a dunny for your missus Rumpus?
Bees Knees
That would be me, KKW...smile.gif Just bought a navionics card for mine and there was 2 settings regarding the contours in my unit Rummy.... Your mate may not have discovered it yet..smile.gif
Spudly
QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Jan 12 2012, 06:37 AM) *
That would be me, KKW...smile.gif Just bought a navionics card for mine and there was 2 settings regarding the contours in my unit Rummy.... Your mate may not have discovered it yet..smile.gif

He prob to busy trimming the motor to get the lean out of his boat.. Ill let him know..
Jumpus GooDarus
Go fluck yourselves ewe wankers

Carefull i dont start with the stories of your recent events that only jumpus knows laugh.gif

Setting main menu countour settings 5th item down on my unit they were there but moment you'd zoom they'd disappear

I'm not stupid like some i dont go fusing without bait nor do i buy pretend boats b4 i learned how to fush properly laugh.gif laugh.gif
nimrod
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jan 11 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Heya Frank... Ill take you up on that offer mate, if ya can hold off till i get back to work and back home to sort it out.

Ok whenever you're ready. I will put it in my GPS and have a look at the detail.
Spudly
Thanks Frank!

Hoping the wind dies off this arvo, been blowing its guts out down here the last few days.
kkw
QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Jan 12 2012, 07:37 AM) *
That would be me, KKW...smile.gif

Yeah, I know but another bloke got one a couple of months before you.
kkw
At least there's a couple who love the boat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.