Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pongrass Half Cab
Fishing oz style > Chat > Boating Talk
nimrod
Probably nobody interested in an old/anciant tub like this but thought I would flood the forum with some photos anyway.

It is a 1970's Pongrass waverider 17'2" half cabin with 1998 90hp Johnson ocean runner xtra long shaft 2 stroke motor, fully reconditioned throughout.

I bought the old tub so I could bring the savage Lancer home and put this in it's place down at Bermagui.

It originally had a 115hp Johnson 1970 model on it and it went like all powers of you know what,,, however it was so old I simply didn't have confidence in it to keep going off shore in it, so got the present motor put on it.
Had to build a jacking plate to fit the extra long 25" leg motor and while I was at it I put new morse steer cable and wheel, to replace the clothes line wire steer system it had.

The seats in it came all the way back to within 1' of the back which left not enough room for feet comfortably, so cut them out and built in side storage shelves.

I rebuilt the trailer from it's old wooden carpet covered skids to a full drive on multi roller job, self aligning, a blind man could drive it on the trailer. Gotta fit submersible lads yet, When i can afford to buy them.
Made up a devise to catch boat as it reaches the winch roller, and have flex antenna to guide and to see how far left before hitting winch roller, as you drive up toward the arial the bow touches the arial and bends it,, you then know you are within inches of the catch so this makes it just that little bit easier to judge.

Just cleaned and painted the interior of cabin, no mods other then removing the old tint from the windows. Check out the fuse box.
I have small solar charge panel for keeping the battery topped up.

Built a walk around foot hold on the starboard side as the exhisting footholds were unsafe, and this will be a one up drive on/off boat so need everything possible to aid it being easier and safer, also grab rail to hold onto.

Made inbuilt bait keeper come esky on starboard rear and live bait tank on port rear.

Made modern ( sort of) windscreen to replace the old curved and badly cracked one that it had.
Not quiet finished yet.

Gotta get some new Pongrass stickers made up for it,,,, Anyone know someone in the business ?.
My mate who done the RC1 stickers for me, I haven't seen him for a while.

will start adding pictures so please be patient with me.
nimrod
Boat shortly after purchase

Click to view attachment

Interior cleaned up Click to view attachment

Old motor Click to view attachment

motor removed Click to view attachment
Jumpus GooDarus
I know that boat laugh.gif
nimrod
Rip the side seats out Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Fit side lockers Click to view attachment
nimrod
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Bait keeper esky starboard live bait port
nimrod
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Here you see the walk around, to get to front safely, grab rails and new windscreen.

Screens a bit rough but it's only a boat.
nimrod

Click to view attachment
Had to swing the boat off the trailer to modify it.
Even made my own springs and washers for the wobbles.
Spring on right original on left my home made version
Fed
Got yourself a real project there Frank those rounded windows sure do date it.
nimrod
QUOTE (Fed @ Sep 28 2011, 04:06 PM) *
Got yourself a real project there Frank those rounded windows sure do date it.

Yes Fed, even older than your Fairy.
nimrod
The boat catch, as the boat drives up the trailer the device engages the clip the spring allowes the square bracket for slide down the hook on the boat and when close the spring pulls the square bracket up and holds the boat firmly in place. You can then safely turn the motor off and tilt it up and dismount to drive the boat and trailer out from the ramp.
When you want to launch the boat,, you first have the square bracket held up with spring, you then disengage safety chain, and release winch cable so boat slides back and the catch device holds boat in place, you then release the spring from the bracket get in boat start motor put into gear and nudge forward, which allows square bracket to fall out of the way, you then select neutral or reverse and back boat off trailer,,, when ready to put boat back on trailer place spring back on it's perch and this allows the boat to be loaded one up with no problems.

Of coarse all the ropes in the photo are not there during this process, they were holding the front of the boat up when no trailer under it.

Click to view attachment
oz man
nice keep up the good work.
nimrod
BTW. Here's another one of those bungie ropes

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.