Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Gauge
Fishing oz style > Chat > Boating Talk
Majed
Hey Guys,

I have an under-floor 90 litre fuel tank which doesn't have a fuel gauge connected...i find this very annoying as i can't determine the exact amount of fuel left in the tank after every trip....went to my marine mechanic who said it would cost me a whopping $400 to install the complete unit....bloody hell.....

As the boat has second fuel line for an auxiliary tank i therefore went and bought a 22 litre plastic one as backup...just in case....

Jumpus doesn't have gauges on the fuel tanks in his boats which doesn't bother him.....he normally fills up every few trips...

I am a bit paranoid so i top it up every trip....

Do any of you out there have the same problem?

Is there a cheaper way to fit a gauge myself?
Jumpus GooDarus
Gauges are a waste of $$'s period

I am a bit paranoid so i top it up every trip....

That's wot ewe should be doing every trip

After a week in the tank the old fuel starts to lose it's octane level

Fresh fuel boosts that octane level back up again
jasonb
whack in a little marble ,then as the tank gets lower the marble will start too block up the fuel line ,and youll know its time to change over ,,, hysterical.gif hysterical.gif jas
Fed
I have a gauge & it works surprisingly well but I still top up before every outing.
If I didn't have a gauge I wouldn't bother installing one.
storms72
Mate of mine fitted a second fuel filler that went straight down from the deck, he used to remove the filler cap and insert a alloy measuring stick to check his levels-might be an idea that could work for you.
salty fil
I think theyre a waste aswell.
I dont even pay attention to mine.
Every Wednesday night when i fill up my car i fill my two 20 litre jerrys up and empty them in the boat before i go out.
I always try having a full tank in the boat before every trip.

It also helps that my under floor 110 litre tank is white plastic, therefor i can get on my knees and check out the side of it to see exactly how much is in there.
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (salty fil @ Feb 3 2010, 11:30 PM) *
It also helps that my under floor 110 litre tank is white plastic, therefor i can get on my knees and check out the side of it to see exactly how much is in there.

Stop telling porkies

Ewe use a rope & lower yourself into the tank to get a Jelly Beans Eye View of the level hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
hustler57
look on ebay mr majed.... ive seen a few go for pretty cheap on there,

also ask around, the mechanic that i use for my boat is the best mechanic that ive had for my boats in the last 12 years of my boating life and his pretty well priced to... but also its not all that hard to install yourself....

but saying all that i agree as said that your tanks should always be full when you head out.. but sometimes you just wanna head out and dont have the $$$ to fill it up...
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (hustler57 @ Feb 4 2010, 04:34 AM) *
but also its not all that hard to install yourself....

Not as easy as ewe think hustler

GooDarus guess is majed's tank is stainless steel & made of thin gauge material seam welded on the ends

1st thing ewe need to do is cut out the hole for the sender to sit in, that part is easy but not the case cleaning out all the shavings ewe made out of the tank

Next prob ewe face is find is finding a sender with the correct length on it's float arm, on a sq tank it's not a prob but if the tank is of V design the gauge will never read true

Biggest prob ewe'll face is threading the holes to fasten sender unit cause material being so light gauge

GooDarus guess as well the tank is long & shallow & again the gauge will be so inacurate unless ewe park the boat dead level all the effort fitting up the gauge will have been a waste of $$'s

If the tanks filler is on the tank itself best gauge to use is a piece of dowel empty the tank of fuel go to the servo put in 20 litres stop, insert the dowel pull it out then notch a mark into it @ the wet spot

Repeat this process till tank full
Majed
The filler is at the back of the boat..not at the tank..
And yes it is long and shallow........i suppose i will keep topping it up every trip...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.