Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Up Old Epoxy
Fishing oz style > Chat > Rod Building
catchnrelease
I've removed and moved a guide on a rod but there is all this binding epoxy (no thread) left from where the guide was. I've used a scalpal to scrape as much as possible off before I was threatening to cut into the blank.

How can I remove this old epoxy stuff? I've heard steel wool with a solvent will work? What can I do? It doesn't affect the performance but makes the rod look ugly.
Jumpus GooDarus
800 wet & dry sand it off
kkw
I'm just about to rebind a rod, and have found that the epoxy on both the binding and glass, is very thick. It comes off reasonably easy with wet and dry, and as JG says, that is probably the safest and best way to do it.

On another note, I am being a bit lazy and don't really want to underbind or do fancy bindings. The rod is to be used for 12lb line and a baitrunner reel. It isn't an expensive rod, and is of glass construction, rather than graphite/carbon. Should I underbind?
Jumpus GooDarus
could just brush on sum epoxy & wait for it to dry
can add a bit of colour [paint] into the epoxy to give it sum charactor
jasonb
i wouldnt think it would need it ,,mate ,,,jas
Christos
I would perfer to remove the old epoxy.
jasonb
sorry i should of answered a bit better ,after removing the old epoxy ,i wouldnt think underbinding would be needed,,,jas
kkw
I knew what you meant Jas.
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (jasonb @ Feb 22 2010, 12:36 PM) *
sorry i should of answered a bit better ,after removing the old epoxy ,i wouldnt think underbinding would be needed,,,jas

Nope ewe dont on glass sticks but it's nice to have it esp if you're using the same old guides & have to file the feet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.