Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back From Jervis Bay
Fishing oz style > Chat > Lets Talk Fishing
salty fil
Back from Jervis bay.
Spent 3 days and 2 nights camping with 9 others, 2 babies, and my bird (my parrot who travels everywhere with us).
Great weather and cool nights, but that was fixed up with a camp fire during the night.
The first day i took the kayak out in the river off our camp to do some exploring. Absolutely magical on dusk.
The next day i was up at 6 a.m. to go fishing while the others went surfing.
I spent about 2 hrs flicking plastics at a mussel farm which i thought would be full of bream but i was unable to get one. Only small Trevally and yakkas. So i ventured out Sanctury Point where the swell was kinda big and there were great drop offs.
Spent a few hours there getting loads of bream up to 42 cm, and a few Snapper, some over some under.
Everything was released except 1 bream which went on the bbq.
Everyone was spewing i didnt keep them for a feed, but i saw no point seeing as we didnt have things like lemon and stuff that goes with fish.
The nights were great sitting around the fire drinking, eating, putting marshmallows in the fire like kids and listening to a mate play the guitar.
The last day we were up early and packed. A few of the others hired canoes and we went for a long paddle down the river. Let me tell you, my kayak flies! It has fins on it and i peddle with my legs.
The others were struggling so much that i was actually bored going round and round them so i can keep moving, (man were they jealous!!!).
At one stage i acted as a tow truck and they held onto each other while i grabbed the first canoe by a rope and towed them along. We still went quicker than they wouldve if they were paddling, and i was just pumping the legs casually!
Arnie Dog i wanted to come down, but seeing as i only had 1 full day there it was pretty hard cause i fished it. But next time il take you up on it if the knee and everything else is better.
All in all a good weekend. Bring on the Queens birthday!!!
quintrex101
well dun sounds like you had a top trip, i bet that bream would have been nice on the bbq ...... biggrin.gif

and thats one nice kayak smile.gif , and thats the perfect sounder for it .. same as the one on mydory tongue.gif

p.s i reakon catchnrelease will love this report tongue.gif
catchnrelease
It's a good report. It is true that I don't like the thought of bream being kept at all, but if you caught stacks then keeping one is OK I guess. Better than bagging out.

Well done and love the yak. How quiet is the mirage drive system when compared to say a leccy?

P.S. Why are you using lip grips for bream and snapper? It's not like they have teeth or serious spines? A simple comfort lift (on their side) does less harm and lessens the chance of them spazzing out.
salty fil
QUOTE (catchnrelease @ Apr 28 2008, 09:38 PM) *
It's a good report. It is true that I don't like the thought of bream being kept at all, but if you caught stacks then keeping one is OK I guess. Better than bagging out.

Well done and love the yak. How quiet is the mirage drive system when compared to say a leccy?

P.S. Why are you using lip grips for bream and snapper? It's not like they have teeth or serious spines? A simple comfort lift (on their side) does less harm and lessens the chance of them spazzing out.

The drive system is completely silent. Ive never been on a leccy so i cant compare.
I was expecting something about the lip grips. To be honest i placed them ever so gently for the photo, they swam away healthy as can be after that. I still have to master not dropping them on my lap while truing to take the photo, where they go nuts and cut my nob! and i also have the risk of dropping my camera over board. But still, not a good look i know.
Jumpus GooDarus
Good one Phil !

Did you try out your new spin stick ??????
jack
very nice kayak,

Good fishing and nice pics.

Jack
Majed
Well done. Good report and sounds like a lot of fun there..... smile.gif
Christos
Good report. I have one friend that has been after a Kayak for some time.

He gets all excited every time the fishing show comes around.
salty fil
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 28 2008, 10:11 PM) *
Good one Phil !

Did you try out your new spin stick ??????

JG, everything i caught was on the spin stick.
Great rod mate.
CATCH22
goodonya phil you say you take your bird with you what type is it ...lori/cockatiel/budgie/galah????alex/macaw???
salty fil
QUOTE (CATCH22 @ Apr 29 2008, 12:35 AM) *
goodonya phil you say you take your bird with you what type is it ...lori/cockatiel/budgie/galah????alex/macaw???

Alexandrine.
The bloody bugger flew away on us in January up at Brunswick Heads. Took me 5 hrs to find him in the mangrove, oyster encrusted river.
Still got the cuts on my feet to prove it. Since then he wears a harness when away with us.
Heres a picture of the bugger in the middle of a shake.
Spudly
first thing ive noticed is the 4by in the background??

Is it yours?
STEVE.P
Good stuff salty, that river looks good fishing.gif
Christos
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Apr 29 2008, 10:21 AM) *

You must own one.
poly
thats a top report mate, jervis is a top spot all wright.
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (salty fil @ Apr 28 2008, 11:11 PM) *
JG, everything i caught was on the spin stick.
Great rod mate.

Welcome to the world of Graphite Rods laugh.gif laugh.gif
salty fil
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Apr 29 2008, 10:21 AM) *

Is it yours?

This is my "Fearless Chunk Of Steel" Rum.
Im looking for another one, maybe an 02- 04 model.
My babys had a hard life since i took over it. She hasnt complained so il put her to stud.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.