Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fishing At Manilla
Fishing oz style > Chat > Fresh Water Chat
SUMOFISHIN
To: Bush Telegraph
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:14 AM
Subject: fishing club

Manilla Bowling Club Fishing & Social Club.

Well the weekend at Split Rock Dam started a bit slow, some members got there early and set up camp on Friday relaxing and watching the TV out of the windy weather.

Saturday Morning those on site hit the water to try their skills, Motoring up the River seemed like a great idea for a fish, but someone forgot to tell the Fish, water temperature was in the high 18 and low 19 degrees and the fish were found hanging around the structures but apparently not hungry,

After a few hours fishing, motoring back to the main Basin was a bit blowy and the wind only got stronger as the day progressed.

Most were getting off the water early as others rolled up and hit the waves to try their luck,

3 Yellowbelly and 1 Cod was the total tally for Saturday as we settled in for Steak all round, Sausages, Tomato’s and Onion for dinner.

The Rum and whatever else available was called upon to help raise the body temperature or abate the chill factor and most got involved.

By Sunday the wind had eased and the fishing improved, a total of 27 fish were recorded Two of which were Cod and One solitary Silver Perch, Yellowbelly were small but great eating sizes, all fish weighed in were Gilled and Gutted before weighing.

Top Junior was Ian Lamb with a nice Yellowbelly, Amanda Graham recorded her 69cm Cod weighing in at 3.1kg, Biggest Yellowbelly went to Captain Greg Jones with 1.25kg,

The lone Silver Perch was caught by President John (Simmo) Simpson, and the Secret weight was won by Pauline Turner.

No Catfish were caught, and a few fish were released not recorded.

All in all it turned out to be a great weekend for those that came out to brave the cold conditions that Mother Nature had dished up.

Don’t Forget the Keepit Cup on May 18th combined comp at Pelican Point, please notify Board members with names for Keepit Cup, and we need as many members as we can Muster.

Until we Congregate next,

SUMO.

Click to view attachment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spudly
They are a turly AWESOME fish... I really dont think ive seen one with such Cool colours whn thy come out of the water, and best of all, they are a native Australian.. Iv only caught a few so far, best goig 50 somthing cm? But im working on it...

Were most bait of lure fishing Sumo?

Congrats on a good weekend.
SUMOFISHIN
Your right Chad,
They are a nice colourful fish, this is the biggest of the two taken on the weekend, both Cod were on Lures and about eight of the 24 Yellowbelly were on lures.
poly
thanks for the report Sumo, not a bad read at all. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
They are a turly AWESOME fish... I really dont think ive seen one with such Cool colours whn thy come out of the water

I have & they are quite pretty looking for a freshwater species laugh.gif

Good one SUMO
Spudly
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 22 2008, 10:39 PM) *
I have & they are quite pretty looking for a freshwater species laugh.gif

Good one SUMO

I messed that up mate, what i meant is i havnt seen another type of fish that looked as good as the murray cod..

Sure, there are alot of species that i havnt seen yet, but being such an icon and the fact that they are independant and such a strong and territorial fish.. They are just a prize catch.. Really didnt realise how nice they were untill i got my first one.

Admitadly, they dont fight like the salties, But hey... They aint as easy to catch as a bream or flatty either!
CATCH22
good report sumo enjoyed it ......
MartinF
nice one mate.

Not catching any catfish has to be some sort of record as well I guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.