Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rod Handle Cork
Fishing oz style > Chat > Lets Talk Fishing
Christos
Some background if you bear with me a little.

I had recently acquired a fishing rod with a cork handle. I was informed that I should be putting some Bees Wax on the cord to protect this. I went to Bunnings (Hardware Store) and they told me that they did not have any and suggested that I try a certain bait and tackle store on Anzac Parade. I thanked the assistant and kept looking at what they had.

I found Bees Wax in the Bunnings store but this also had citrus extract as part of the mixture. It was giving a very strong odour of oranges. I do not know many fish that eat oranges and so thought that I should keep looking.

I went to the bait and tackle store on Anzac Parade and asked the owner of the store what he had. He informs me that he does not have any and that I should try Bunnings. peace.gif

Here is my question does anyone know of a place that sells Bees Wax with out the extra odours added in the mixture.

I live in Sydney.
Jumpus GooDarus
Staff @ Bunnings are bloody hopess I had a go @ a lazy one yesterday

Bunnings do have Bee's Wax it comes in a little red plastic container
Christos
I will take another look, when I am next there. The only one that I found was the one that contained citrus extracts and that smell was just too heavy.
jack
You can try shops that sell outdoor gear.

Hiking boots are treated with bees wax as well to weatherproof them (not waterproof) and make sure the leather doesn't dry out

Jack
Bees Knees
I can keep my cotton buds for you!! It may take a while, so be patient biggrin.gif
Spudly
I use my saddle conditioner.. works a treat..
CATCH22
always ask for the manager at bunnings as jumpy said they are bloody hopless wouldnt know what day it is ...truely ....have many a problem with these bludgers.......so thats what i do ask for manger and no probs i know it takes time but thats life my friend and you can get a hot dog at the babaqu
thay put on out side but only on a saturday or sunday......going to breaky ..cheers
poly
i think surf shops sell it to wax boards with smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Majed
Maybe you can find some in a bee hive............. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
STEVE.P
QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Apr 19 2008, 01:08 PM) *
I use my saddle conditioner.. works a treat..

What sort of conditioner do you put on your back side Rump N Ruckus rolleyes.gif
Spudly
its to control the scurvy!
It'l Do
I though it was to control the saddle sores.

Bee's wax??? I was told that Rummy needs hot wax for his back side. laugh.gif
Heard he visits Pube 2000. hysterical.gif

Why the hell am I having a dig at Rummy?
Because I just was reading old posts on Sportfish and saw the fun that they stopped.
Spudly
Haha, you aint seen me then have ya!! haha!!

Got more chest hair than a gorilla, and can grow a beard in 24 hours!

But my back and back are hair free... Thanks for asking!!

If you would like to see them on a more personal note, you will be disapointed!! They are only reserved for some!
It'l Do
Hell NO I'm not askin', I'm only repeating what I heard. laugh.gif

Though you might have been Crummy on Sportfish.

Anyway want a laugh read the post by Steve Burt. Someone with a lot of fishing experience and very funny. Was it you Jumpy???

The steveburt collection
http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/search....;MEMBER_ID=3487
read Marlin go off at Port. What a gem
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (It'l Do @ Apr 19 2008, 11:45 PM) *
Anyway want a laugh read the post by Steve Burt. Someone with a lot of fishing experience and very funny. Was it you Jumpy???

The steveburt collection

Nah not me but it may have been one of my GrassHopper Apprentices

I haven't used live bread to catch a Marlin for years found it bloats up to much when I troll it behind the boat, then there was the seagull prob !

Bastard of things would chase the live bread & whilst flying overhead would crap all over the boat.

These days I troll live bloodworms for marlins but I keep getting 3 meter long Whiting attacking them the other week we were 9 miles east of Browns & I kid you not this rip snorta 5 meter long Whiting came through & scoffed all 4 of the Bloodworms that I was trolling.

ps] It's no big deal to get the amount of hook up the original poster claimed in his report up @ Pt Stevens in close if he had stuck to stripes & Blacks.

He didn't say method of fishing but generally when you're fishing for them in close live slimy's are used & either they were hopeless or he's exagerating stats cause hookup rate on livey's far exceeds that on lures
It'l Do
I have so much to learn about fushin'.

Jumpy, thanks for the tip. Next time I'm in Canberra I try using blood worms for a 3 meter Whiting in Lake Burley Griffin. tongue.gif

I loved Steve Burts gee up:
speaking of brissie waters i went up there the other day and hauled a 44lb murray cod from paddys channell.nothin much was happenin but i will posts the pics tommorow wen i get them

They fell for it hook, line and sinker.

This why I though it was Jumpy - classic
hi everyone
i like to use my favourate outfit all the time which is a penn 8 foot jetty rod witha shimano thunnus 4000 spooled with 20lb mono would this be a good olutfit for lure fishing in estuaries for bream as i am a novice

stevenburt

Only relation to cork is classics like Steve as rare like cork is becoming.
Back on topic I hope Christos gets his bees wax.
Christos
I have had the chance to go to Bunnings and once again look for Bees Wax. I found again only one product that also contained orange extract.

I went to the local camping store here at Kingfords and found two products that had Bees Wax in them. One was s shoe polish and the other was Sno Seal. This had a web site and so I looked them up prior to making a decision.

Well I purchased the Sno Seal and have given this a go. I used a hair dryer to soften the wax and then blend this in to the handle. It has made it a little darker and I guess we shall see how it handles.

I have posted photos before and after application.
Jumpus GooDarus
Geez they must be idiots you're talking to @ Bunnings

If you had gone to their cleaning products isles you would've found it yourself.

Wittle red tub & it's exactly what the name implies

Bee's Wax
jack
SNO SEAL is the stuff I meant for your hiking boots.

I used to sell heaps of it working for an outdoor store in holland. Used it all the time on my boots as well.

Jack
Christos
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 25 2008, 09:27 PM) *
If you had gone to their cleaning products isles you would've found it yourself.

I revisited the wood stains isle, and had a very good look. Only one product there that had Bees Wax as mention before. Then went to another isle and this might have been cleaning product isle and found in a yellow tin Bee Wax did not mention anything else that if might contain. Could not find further information about this product, so I just thought that I should try something that gave further information as what Sno Seal did.

What is the worst thing that could happen. I would have to buy another rod to replace the one that I screwed up. emot201.gif
Christos
QUOTE (jack @ Apr 25 2008, 10:15 PM) *
SNO SEAL is the stuff I meant for your hiking boots.

Yeah it has a number of things that it is used for and even fishing but does not mention if this can be used on cork handle. We shall see how it turns out after a few days and once again after fishing with the rod.

casting.gif

Opps where is my rod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.