Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Corrosion
Fishing oz style > Chat > Tackle Talk
kkw
I haven't used my Penn Senator for a few years, and despite washing in warm soapy water after use, it has still got corrosion on it. Also the rod winch.

I am going to lightly rub it over with soapy steel wool. Is there a product or any hints on how to prevent the corrosion from coming back too quickly? I am talking about the white salt, powdery bloom.
poly
yep a light spray with inox or w.d.40 should slow it down smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
jasonb
mate i allways spray the whole reel with a pressure pack clear acrylic laquer before spooling them up and they stay good ,you could even clean them up and spray the same way
A pirate
try silicone spray and then wipe the excess off.

I would not use steel wool too harsh i use a scourer and soapy water the spray with silicone spray and seems to work for me.
Jumpus GooDarus
It's because the components you mentioned are chrome plated brass & there's not much you can do to stop the corrosion.

best you can do is clean it up using a fine steel wool.

I tend to use Lanogaurd 3000 to spray my reels

Any solution with lanolin will last sprays such as CRC & Wd-40 are a big waste of time & effort as the solution evaporates
It'l Do
They claim INOX does not dry out. Does INOX contain any lanolin?

If not is the Lanox a better choise?
A pirate
QUOTE (It'l Do @ Apr 18 2008, 03:37 AM) *
They claim INOX does not dry out. Does INOX contain any lanolin?

If not is the Lanox a better choise?

Because it has lanolin......and the sheep will remember you and the kiwi's will love you! poke.gif
Mully
I use inox for all my corrosion protection including spraying my lures after swims doesnt mess with pain,line,braid or rubber so its good for me...Also its food grade safe.
It'l Do
Well if INOX has lanolin in it I will grab some tomorrow at Withworths.

Website claims to sell 300g can of INOX on special for $6.95

Lanox is $9.95

Thanks.
CATCH22
buy some new ones viva has good bargins ..(( who da tight arse now))) hehehheeh
It'l Do
QUOTE (CATCH22 @ Apr 19 2008, 01:11 PM) *
buy some new ones viva has good bargins ..(( who da tight arse now))) hehehheeh

Catch, only just bought some new Viva and Browing reels. Only ever washed any of my reels in water and they all have lasted for years.
Only buying the INOX to say ME TOO
kkw
I didn't see you today. All the other hobbits were there. I splurged and bought the Lanox - you cheapskate laugh.gif

Cleaned the reel and lubed it. Pretty good stuff, really. Will do the reel seat on the rod tomorrow and respool the reel with mono (maybe). I was surprised to find (I had forgotten) that I had backed it with dacron, then a hundred or so metres of 30lb mono and 250m of 30lb Raptor braid.
It'l Do
KK,

Why Lanox over Inox???

PS I saw some seafood extender floating down the river today. I though you said you left it on Dave's bonnet? Did you keep some to fish with and don't tell me it was berley?
I cannot stand the crap I bet fish would not touch it as well. laugh.gif
Only tossing, but there is heaps of rubbish in the river ATM due to the bloody rain.
Bees Knees
QUOTE (kkw @ Apr 19 2008, 10:11 PM) *
Cleaned the reel and lubed it. Pretty good stuff, really. Will do the reel seat on the rod tomorrow and respool the reel with mono (maybe).

Once you have tidied that up kkw, you can hand it over to the son-in-law. He would appreciate that. smile.gif

Then while you in the giving mood, hand over the old tinny to him. He'll think it's x-mas poke.gif hysterical.gif
kkw
I read the labels on both, Greg, and the Lanox seemed to be more suitable. The Inox was like WD40. A penetrating, water dispersant oil. I only had a quick read though, and figured that if Lanolin keeps them sheep lubricated for the Kiwi 'wool' trade, then it should be good for the reels as well.

The son in law saw the Penn and asked what the star thing was for!!!! I think I will get him one of those pink outfits from K Mart - the ones with the plastic reels.
Mully
inox is food grade safe nothing like wd-40 plus it will not build up residue like lanolin when applied on a consistant basis...
Inox can be sprayed into your mouth as its non toxic try that with wd-40 [lol]

LANOX

Lanolin is a natural wax found in animal wool especially the wool from sheep, commonly referred as 'WOOL FAT' or 'WOOL GREASE', it has wide spread uses, cosmetics, medical, soaps, etc. Down through the centuries the Egyptians, Romans, Vikings, sailors and soldiers alike all used lanolin as a very effective anti- corrosion and waterproofing agent for a variety of metals, materials, timbers, to protect sails, leather, cannons, etc. Although we make INOX, a quality anti-corrosion lubricant, there are areas where a lanolin based anit-corrosion lubricant like LANOX is sometimes better suited for the application at hand.

LANOX is a heavy duty anti-moisture, anti-corrosion lubricant made with a high grade lubricating oil and lanolin base with specialized chemical compounds.

LANOX contains no silicon, kerosine. acids or dieselene.

LANOX is harmless to metal points & surfaces, plastics, painted & enamel finishes, fibreglass, formica, rubber or neoprene seals.

LANOX doesn't become sticky, gooey or gum up.

LANOX is non-conductive, non-static & non-corrosive.

LANOX has neutral properties, low flammability (NON-AEROSOL)

LANOX DOESN'T DRY OUT OR WASH OFF WITH WATER

TECHNICAL DATA
ASTM D4052 DENSITY @ 15.6 °C .8461

DIELECTRIC 26

ASTM D93 FLASH POINT 179 °C

ASTM D97 POUR POINT -26 °C

ASTM D445 VISCOSITY ( cSt, 40 °C ) 13
( cSt, 100 °C ) 2.4

SOLUBILITY IN WATER NEGLIGIBLE

INOX

DISPLACES - PENETRATES
LUBRICATES - PROTECTS

INOX contains no silicon, acid, kerosene or dieselene.

INOX will not harm metal points or surfaces, plastics, paints, enamels, fibreglass, formica or neoprene seals.

INOX doesn't dry out, gum up, become gooey or sticky
or wash off with water !

INOX is non- conductive, non-static, non-toxic, non-corrosive
and non-staining.

APPROVALS

FOOD GRADE
AUSTRALIA: Instrument of Approval is freely available on request.
NEW ZEALAND: NZFSA Approved C 12 (All animal product except dairy)

N.B. Copies of Food Grade Approvals can be downloaded from the INOX-mx3 MSDS page. They can also be faxed or posted directly to the recipiant from Candan Industries Pty Ltd.

N. A. T. O. Defence Manufacturers Code No. Z5594/5 ( R. A. N. App.)

TECHNICAL

ASTM 1298 DENSITY @15.6 ° C .850

ASTM D97 POUR POINT -13 ° C

ASTM D92 FIRE POINT 204° C

DIELECTRIC > 40

ASTM D1744 KARL FISHER WATER 273.2 ppm

ASTM D445 VISCOSITY @ 40° C 10.04
@ 100 °C 2.54
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.