Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paternoster Rigs
Fishing oz style > Chat > Tackle Talk
MartinF
Hey guys,

Posted this as a reply on another forum but guess you guys are all hiding out here smile.gif

Here in Holland in sea fishing we use the paternoster rig alot but often it's quite different from what I've seen posted on the various aussie fishing sites. It looks like this:

Now this is one type where the side-lines are connected to the mainline with wire outriggers, there's another type that just connects line to line but uses what amounts to little straws as outriggers. Basically it means it tangles less easily, but also the baits are held further apart.

Have I just overlooked the usage of these types of rigs in Australia or is there some other reason? Only thing I could figure is that you have more movement in the water and have less need of this.
Sir Reel
The Paternoster rig is a great set up for bottom bashing. Has many uses ie live bait in deeper water or simply dropping dead baits into a bearly trail. I like to use a lighter line to the sinker incase of snags. The wire trace is being used less these days unless being bittin off by those tothy critters.
MartinF
QUOTE (Sir Reel @ Mar 21 2008, 03:51 PM) *
The wire trace is being used less these days unless being bittin off by those tothy critters.

It's not really a wire trace though, the line connected to the hook is still normal mono, it's just an outrigger to keep the hook&bait away from the main line

I wasn't implying that you guys don't use the paternoster rig, it's just that I've not seen this particular setup which surprised me since it's so common here, at least it was when I went sea fishing
Spudly
Have seen the rig discussed in books but never seen anyone use the rig..

Have had issues with tangles myself before but with a change in rigs and knot styles I havnt had any problems.
Sir Reel
QUOTE (MartinF @ Mar 22 2008, 04:13 AM) *
It's not really a wire trace though, the line connected to the hook is still normal mono, it's just an outrigger to keep the hook&bait away from the main line

I wasn't implying that you guys don't use the paternoster rig, it's just that I've not seen this particular setup which surprised me since it's so common here, at least it was when I went sea fishing
ce
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

We seem to have moved away from the use of wire unless needed for the above. Since the use of braid and fluro carbons leaders, there has been a big move to lighter, harder to bee seen rigs. Also some areas and species have been banned from the use of wire.

I have used this rig when I was much younger and new to fishing. It was handy as it was a pre made rig but these days I am confident in my knots and pre make my own rigs.

The use of wire in a paternoster rig has its uses but is not fool proof. It will fray mono and braided line when a fish is caught and swims around the line causing knots and tangles.

Hope this explains the use or lack of use better
It'l Do
Martin, Problem is the straws McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, etc give you are too thick as they are used for thick shakes as well.
And the local milk bar usually have only blue or red one.

They cannot buy them as they have spent all their money on their boats and fuel. hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Jokes aside it looks like a good idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.