Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Articles Thread
Fishing oz style > Chat > Have your say
Spudly
We have got a few people on here that have or maybe still do write articles for magazines..

Im not sure of copyrights or any of that Jazz, but how about a section on here where we could put those articles up (if the writers dont mind) So we could all have a read and an archives section..

I know KKW threw a few of his hunting ones up a while ago and they were a great read..

KKW? Jumps? Arnie? What do you think?
It'l Do
I agree Rummy. I joined after reading some of the antics some members get up to. Strange how some of the members did not find it as funny and don't seem to post that oftem but I bet they are LURKERS.

Another reason people join is because of excellent pinned articles which make them an expert after they reads them. So I reckon it is a great idea.

BTW, I'm now an expert in the Seatow radio calls thanks to Steve.P
oz man
I have no problems with that just tell me what you want it called.
Spudly
I spose Articles??

It reallt depends on the guys if they are willing or allowed to share them?
CATCH22
mago reports an idea
kkw
Thing is the space it takes up. I sent a crocodile article I wrote, to Poly. It is 7mb. You can reduce that file size substantially by converting to .pdf but it still needs to be stored on the servers. I have quite a lot of magazine articles I wrote, on another website not related to fishing or hunting in any way. Copyright is the property of the author, but when it is released to a magazine for publication, it reverts to their property. A grey area, as you can still 'display' it on, say a website, so long as it is not for commercial gain. That's my understanding in any case. I don't put an article on a website until the magazine has been published and a few new issues have been released. Not sure about the legalities of doing so, but it is a grey area in my understanding, as I said.
Jumpus GooDarus
Prob a good idea but as kk said the legalities may be a prob

ps] kk it's the file type you use that makes the files so big

Very easilly converted down to a teeny weeny wittle file which would take up no more bandwidth than this reply
kkw
I will send you an article in its word format, and as a .pdf, and you send it back to me as a smaller file biggrin.gif than the .pdf one. Maintain the formatting and pics etc, so that it still resembles the original article.
Jumpus GooDarus
Very easily done

All it takes is a snapshot & it can be posted as a jpeg no more than 60 odd kb
It'l Do
QUOTE (kkw @ Mar 21 2008, 05:52 PM) *
Thing is the space it takes up. I sent a crocodile article I wrote, to Poly. It is 7mb. You can reduce that file size substantially by converting to .pdf but it still needs to be stored on the servers. I have quite a lot of magazine articles I wrote, on another website not related to fishing or hunting in any way. Copyright is the property of the author, but when it is released to a magazine for publication, it reverts to their property. A grey area, as you can still 'display' it on, say a website, so long as it is not for commercial gain. That's my understanding in any case. I don't put an article on a website until the magazine has been published and a few new issues have been released. Not sure about the legalities of doing so, but it is a grey area in my understanding, as I said.

My guess is the file size is large due to high resolution photos. Only need 72dpi for a computer screen.

Jumpy,
Don't forget the articles that Daniel (Flattie Hunter) recerntly did. They need to formatted/reorganised. A lot of work and I am sure he will do more once he see how good they can look. Glad to help but need to know how you want them reformatted/outlayed.
MartinF
60kb jpeg is gonna take a huge quality loss jumps. As a photographer I work with file formats quite a bit and it's always a compromise between size and quality.

But you can compress a pdf down quite considerably. Unless it's like a 10 page full-colour spread, it shouldn't be anywhere near 7mb.

legality is always an issue too, depends under which terms you supplied the article I guess. What's pretty common tho is that you're allowed to publish it on your own website, usually with something added like 'no commercial gain' etc like you mention. From what I've seen from some of my friends who publish is that you can usually stretch that 'own website' to include stuff like a forum. Like you say, grey area and likely the worst that might ever happen is that someone objects and asks you to remove it.
Jumpus GooDarus
Martin I wont get any quality loss @ all

The snapshot prog I use is very good &will only lose quality if original pic is poor quality & I try to enlarge it

Just a preview of kk's article

MOUNTAIN TAHR CONQUESTS.

BY Kay Kay Winks
laugh.gif laugh.gif
MartinF
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 21 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Martin I wont get any quality loss @ all

The snapshot prog I use is very good &will only lose quality if original pic is poor quality & I try to enlarge it

mate no offense.. I'm sure you're quite handy with your computer there but I do this for a living.

It's not a matter of how good a quality product you use, it's a simply mathematical truth that jpeg is a compression format that sacrifices quality for the sake of size. It basically deletes detail info so you get a smaller size image. It does this in a clever way so you don't notice it as much but especially with things like text, the quality loss is very noticeable very quickly because it becomes blurry, loses sharpness, etc.

Even a 1 page A4 article in full-colour reduced down to 60k would be almost impossible to read, unless it was written for a children's book and has like 10 words on it (granted, that wouldn't surprise me either tongue.gif -kidding kkw- )

This is the whole reason they invented a standard like pdf, it lends itself much better to compressing text while keeping it legible. A whole book, without pictures, converted to pdf is usually only around 2-3Mb maximum and sometimes a lot less.
Jumpus GooDarus
I didn't say anything about taking a pic of the text Martin tongue.gif

No need to I have the whole article in a hex editor & the whole file is only 16 kb

A copy & paste job & it's in a thread

It's the pics kk was refering to that took up the 1.2 mb upload & you wouldn't know the diference after I've snap shot them.

Different story if I had a crappy screen with poor resolution but my pc's have all the good gear in them
MartinF
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 21 2008, 02:07 PM) *
I didn't say anything about taking a pic of the text Martin tongue.gif

All it takes is a snapshot & it can be posted as a jpeg no more than 60 odd kb

tongue.gif yes you did ;)

Anyway if you do it the way you're saying it would obviously work but would be a lot of work to keep the original formatting I would think.. Might be easier to try and go the compressed pdf route if we're talking about a lot of articles, otherwise you're going to get even less fishing done mate! haha smile.gif

anyway you can figure it out, I'll just stick to reading the damn things
Spudly
Well, I dunno. But if it can be done, I think that it would make a good section on the site, Perhaps in a menu like the links one..

Speaking of which, OZ, A couple of the links Could do with a space between them? and possably a small note to explain what they are.
It'l Do
I would rather see the article as a thread on the forum not as a pdf. This way as Jumpy says he can reduce the photos for veiwing on a screen rather than printing. I may be out of date but you only need 72dpi for a screen and when in photoshop 72dpi photos are not very large.

Anyway Jumpy hurry up I want to read Kay Kay Winks mountain story. Does it start with Once upon a time ?
kkw
They ALL start with 'Once upon a time' or 'The night was moist'.
Spudly
The night was moist!!!!!!

Any of my storys that start like that are all XXX and the adult section is gone!
kkw
That was a line from 'Throw Momma from the Train' starring JG's alter ego, Danny DeVito.
Jumpus GooDarus
Yes Rumpus !

And kkw played the Role of Momma laugh.gif laugh.gif

Danny tried to get her knocked off not knocked up laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.