Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boat Building- Yes I'm Ready
Fishing oz style > Chat > Boating Talk
Bees Knees
Just got our TIG converted to Aluminium rolleyes.gif Have just welded my first bit of Aluminium.

It was some 3mm and 6mm angle. It took a few goes but have got it licked now dry.gif

Somebody said it was hard 22.gif So has anyone got a blue print of their tin boats. I'm as keen as mustard now :TazSpin2:

I get all my folds from this mob.. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale....aspx?R=2901824

They are forever overcharging me. I'm in the wrong side of the market, so we are now called Taylormade Boats

Put your order in Jumpy hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
Bee's you'd never contemplate building a boat using a Tungsten Inert Gas Machine.

TIG's are fine for short welds but you'd never be able to keep the filler rod up to the molten pool.

I wont even mention the warping & distortion in the boat people will laugh @ you laugh.gif laugh.gif

Then there's the cost factor MIG's are that much more efficient it's not funny

ps] R U tied of getting glass in arse ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif
jasonb
mate this would be good ,can you make it a full on topic ,ide like to follow the build
Bees Knees
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 6 2008, 09:12 PM) *
Bee's you'd never contemplate building a boat using a Tungsten Inert Gas Machine.

TIG's are fine for short welds but you'd never be able to keep the filler rod up to the molten pool.

I wont even mention the warping & distortion in the boat people will laugh @ you laugh.gif laugh.gif

Then there's the cost factor MIG's are that much more efficient it's not funny

ps] R U tied of getting glass in arse ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Come on pal!! I've had the thing for a week.. I'm the expert here laugh.gif 4 years for a trade PPpffft.. tongue.gif tongue.gif Already have the MIG converted super.gif

Actually have them as an addition to the business. But a mate bought a damaged tinny.. So it got my a*&e into gear.

If you need it to get a proper fuel tank into your tin can.. It's there for you Jumpy
Bees Knees
QUOTE (jasonb @ Mar 6 2008, 09:26 PM) *
mate this would be good ,can you make it a full on topic ,ide like to follow the build

It's a bit of tongue in cheek Jas. laugh.gif But i would be willing to give it a go. I've seen that one from O'briens at different stages while picking up stuff.

It does get the cogs ticking.. $70 odd grand second hand. They wouldn't have spent half that building it. Done in the lads downtime ect i would expect
jasonb
yeah get rid of the ss fuel cans and get a good alloy one ,,i know a bloke who can make ya one pretty cheap ,,hey bk ,,may get one for 2 ducks and a cat
Jumpus GooDarus
Bee's buggered if I can find the thread but I posted pics of some of the rebuilds that I've done on my last 3 boats including the 35 ft'er

I looked @ building one from stact back when I had my workshop & the workshop was well equiped with guillo's , press's plasma cutters etc etc.

When I did the sums it was cheaper to just buy a bare hull unpainted & fit it out the way I wanted one thing led to another & I ended up with the big 35 ft'er which was a Alloy plate boat.

I'll have a looky for that thread later but tell you what had a good laugh reading old threads esp the one titled

Ideal Boat

still got the giggles @ what I did to SUMO's goat laugh.gif laugh.gif
jasonb
i could guess what ya did to sumos goat ,,,,,,mate that might be an idea just buy a bare hull and fit it out with al the gear ,youll still get plenty of welding done doing that ,,,but its up too you ,im interested either way ,,
Jumpus GooDarus
jas I've done that with all my boats

In the middle of binding a rod when I've got time I'll dig up those threads in the meantime this was the last project I did

http://www.fishing-oz-style.info/forum/ind...p?showtopic=408
Bees Knees
There is a company that sell the boat in kit form and away you go. They were displaying the finished product. It was impressive and cost effective. Dont know about the ride though.

But all tinnies are a rough ride aren't they?? biggrin.gif poke.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Mar 6 2008, 10:10 PM) *
There is a company that sell the boat in kit form and away you go. They were displaying the finished product. It was impressive and cost effective. Dont know about the ride though.

But all tinnies are a rough ride aren't they?? biggrin.gif poke.gif

Not as cost effective as they make out esp in the hands of a novice who is ill equiped.

Rough ride huh ?????

A boat only handles as good as the person behind the wheel & suggest you better not come out on my bigger boat unless you've got a good supply of Reg Grundies cause you'll shit yourself laugh.gif laugh.gif

Like to see the glass boats keep up with me & everybody knows I only do 10 knots laugh.gif laugh.gif
Bees Knees
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 6 2008, 10:06 PM) *
jas I've done that with all my boats

In the middle of binding a rod when I've got time I'll dig up those threads in the meantime this was the last project I did

http://www.fishing-oz-style.info/forum/ind...p?showtopic=408

Good thread Jumpy. It's all application isn't it fish.gif

I told you it wasnt that hard rolleyes.gif

I like your rod holders in the gunwales. They remind me of what is standard in a glass boat laugh.gif laugh.gif OUCH
Bees Knees
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 6 2008, 10:21 PM) *
Not as cost effective as they make out esp in the hands of a novice who is ill equiped.

Rough ride huh ?????

A boat only handles as good as the person behind the wheel & suggest you better not come out on my bigger boat unless you've got a good supply of Reg Grundies cause you'll shit yourself laugh.gif laugh.gif

Like to see the glass boats keep up with me & everybody knows I only do 10 knots laugh.gif laugh.gif

1.Hey, who are you calling a novice. I told you i had a go at that welding thingy this week..
2. I don't need to go on your boat to soil my reggies
3. Get your licence and isn't it 9 knots?
hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Mar 6 2008, 10:29 PM) *
1.Hey, who are you calling a novice. I told you i had a go at that welding thingy this week..
2. I don't need to go on your boat to soil my reggies
3. Get your licence and isn't it 9 knots?
hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Jed there's a bit more to it than just welding.

When I got that wittle boat it was just a tinny no gunnels, transom , pod etc just a tinny.

Originally bought it so as I could do a trip around Oz but got crook & didn't go I didn't have a great deal to do last refit & was going to sell it but I got into this SP thingy.

So I remodified the boat for that type of fushing with lecky cast platform etc even built a new trailer for it great wittle boat & I prob use it more than the big tinny.

I'm a Sheety by trade & did my time on aircraft so I'm pretty knowledgable with tin
jasonb
jumpy whats sp stand for ,,,is it small poly ,,,as in boat ,,,,ahhahhaha
Jumpus GooDarus
SP = Soft Plastic

As in lures

Geting back to boat fitting out poly asked me some time back about converting his plastic thingy & provided a link to the polycraft site where SumYungGuy can done a conversion into a lurecasting boat.

He'd put up quite a few pics & I really didn't agree with the way he did it, maybe he didn't know any better or the guy followed the norm of others but it all boils down to what I said to Bee's earlier it's not just about being able to weld.

I would've done what that guy did on the poly in a fraction of the time & a better job, I didn't like the way he used frames cause with frames you're not spreading the weight load & on a plastic boat think it matters more.
poly
I didn't like the way he used frames cause with frames you're not spreading the weight load & on a plastic boat think it matters more.

i think we will have to wait for time to tell us about that one, i will say this they are very strong and so far i have not herd of any mods giving trouble at all.
the boat in question is a 4.1 built as a fly casting platform and is preforming very well in that roll so i am told.

sorry if i am drifting of topic a bit , i would have to agree with j.g on this one to build your own boat FROM SCRATCH would be a huge undertaking :o :o :o
jasonb
hey bk,maybe you could sell the tig and buy a plastic welder and go make some polies ,,,,aahaahahahha
Bees Knees
QUOTE (jasonb @ Mar 7 2008, 10:16 PM) *
hey bk,maybe you could sell the tig and buy a plastic welder and go make some polies ,,,,aahaahahahha

It's funny you mention that. I actually Can weld plastic. Used to repair Bike Fairings, rare grills for cars ect for years.

Its been in the back of my head to use that line on poly when i had the chance.hahaha hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
poly
this is great another plastics man, B K u are a legend tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
poly
here u are B.K.finish this one off

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aluminium-plate-boa...1QQcmdZViewItem

new i had seen this add some were cheack it out B.K.

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=31925
Bees Knees
QUOTE (poly @ Mar 8 2008, 01:17 PM) *

Thanks for that.. It's smaller than my current boat.. mad.gif But it's worth it with the motor, wonder if he has everything there

Keep looking poly, i need something bigger to sink my teeth into hysterical.gif
poly
what size range are u looking at b.k.

i would think the motor he has on that boat would be worth more than the money bid so far rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Bees Knees
QUOTE (poly @ Mar 8 2008, 02:06 PM) *
what size range are u looking at b.k.

i would think the motor he has on that boat would be worth more than the money bid so far rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

i want a 6/6.5m cuddy set up. We have been looking for a few months now. I'm not rushing into it. My boats doing fine, it's a walkthrough. I just want something bigger.

Thanks for the info. I have made an enquiry to the mob in Perth. It would be fun. As long as i dont pull a rummy and split the thing
jasonb
mate keep us posted ,ide like to see the build ,,
Bees Knees
QUOTE (jasonb @ Mar 18 2008, 07:27 PM) *
mate keep us posted ,ide like to see the build ,,

Yes Jas, what started off as a bit of a joke has me interested. as i said I've enquired, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm in no hurry. super.gif

Worse comes to worse, i'll corner them at the boat show..

I didn't realise that the o'brien boat i posted was The Hun's from Sff
Bees Knees
QUOTE (poly @ Mar 8 2008, 01:17 PM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aluminium-plate-boa...1QQcmdZViewItem

new i had seen this add some were cheack it out B.K.

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=31925

I had contact from the mob in Perth..
Like Jumpy said somewhere, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

The boat comes complete and then you fit it out. You cand take the hull off them for 'X' amount and go from there. After i went through with it with the inclusions it ended up at $79,000. Just a touch out of my price range. :crim: But they sent me and excel sheet with the inclusions and prices. You just punch in what you want and you get a total.

If anyone is interested in the sheet for curiosity. Let me know
poly
think i will stick with the plastic BEES, them tin things are way to expensive for my blood biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
Bee's I've allways told people expect to spend alot of $$$'s if you're either going to build one or refit out a boat.

I should know cause I've done it time & time again & it's never cheap.

Just got back from Greenwell Pt only meant to go down for the day yesterday but a late start & very wittle sleep the night B4 saw my eyes hanging out of my head late yesterday arvo & was in no mood to drive home so we stayed the night @ the Coral Tree Lodge.

I didn't have a close up look @ any of them but there were 3 plate alloy boats up for sale there between 6 - 7 meter boats if you're really interested in looking @ any of them
Bees Knees
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 27 2008, 08:28 PM) *
Bee's I've allways told people expect to spend alot of $$$'s if you're either going to build one or refit out a boat.

I should know cause I've done it time & time again & it's never cheap.

Just got back from Greenwell Pt only meant to go down for the day yesterday but a late start & very wittle sleep the night B4 saw my eyes hanging out of my head late yesterday arvo & was in no mood to drive home so we stayed the night @ the Coral Tree Lodge.

I didn't have a close up look @ any of them but there were 3 plate alloy boats up for sale there between 6 - 7 meter boats if you're really interested in looking @ any of them

Not overly Jumpy.. But if something comes up which is more benefit to me than my boat, at a great price, i will upgrade. In my opinion i have a good boat. But the next step is iminent. Whether it's tomorrow or x-mas, i'm in no rush.

"It wont happen overnight, but it will happen".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.