Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping Hooks From Rusting
Fishing oz style > Chat > Tackle Talk
jasonb
hey guys ,just wondering how you salty fullas stop your hooks from rusting ,,,,because whenever i get to fish in salt water i get home after the holiday and most of my hooks are starting to rust and within a week if i dont spray them with lanolin they rust bad ,,what do you guys do???
quintrex101
i never had that problem maybe it just dust your from the country remember laugh.giflaugh.gif
poly
i keep a little plain flower on them and i don't have a problem at all + I NEVER PUT A USED HOOK BACK back with the new ones. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
Not a great deal you can do except keep them dry & Never put a used hook back in the nex hook part of your tackle box

These days I'm using virtually all chemically sharpened hooks & they keep pretty well haven't had any probs with them rusting up.

Which puts crap on Yipperty Yapperta's theory that a hook will rust & fall out of a fishy's mouth after a day laugh.gif laugh.gif
Spudly
Ive been using a bit of talcom powder..

Also try the silica packs out of shoe boxes..

I always wash my hooks in fresh water after use if they still sharp and dry them out on paper towels. Otherwise i ditch them.
jasonb
yeah i know what you use talcom powder for rum ,,haahaahahaa
Spudly
you said you wouldnt tell anyone!!!!!!!
Jumpus GooDarus
Are you 2 girls right ???

Bet the talcum powder lets you's get your hooks into one another a bit better huh ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif
poly
Hmmmmmmm
jasonb
hey dont bring me into this ,i was up him ,,ahahahahahah ,,hang on i was into him ,,hang on ,,,i was having a go at him ,,hang on ,,oh you guys know what i mean ,,,,,i was tormenting him ,,thats better lolololol
Christos
As I fish the rocks I carry a backpack. You do not want this to be heavy as it can some times bee a long walk. So I take a waterproof flat tackle box and place the hooks and stuff in this. To keep the different hook separate each has their own resealable bag. I take one out and when I have finished using it I put it in a separate compartment of this tackle box. This is also used for sinker, swivels.

If I am not too lazy I wash them or dispose of them.

It has been mention in the thread and I will mention again. They do not go back in with the unused hooks.
Christos
QUOTE (Christos @ Feb 25 2008, 07:27 PM) *
It has been mention in the thread and I will mention again. They do not go back in with the unused hooks.

Just imagine you are about to be questioned by a professional. Would that person use dirty tools to apply pressure or a trusted tool that can be trusted.
jasonb
are we talkin about poly here ,lololooooll
Mully
hooks will rust out very quickly when water flow is applied to them in a fishes mouth, water is constantly being sucked in and out..

I use inox to coat my hooks and lures its food grade safe and also has a million other applications..
SUMOFISHIN
i keep a little plain flower on them and i don't have a problem at all

Poly I make a habit of taking the hooks OUT before I put flour on the fillets
salty fil
I keep them in little plastic cylinders and each cylinder screws into the next. So each compartment has different sized hooks. I use a small amount of good old vegetable oil which i put in the bottom to prevent rust. Works for me.
quintrex101
when my hooks rust out i just go and buy new ones laugh.giflaugh.gif
jasonb
well bugger me ,,i never thought of that fh ,,ahhhhahhahhahahha
STEVE.P
keep them in there packets use them as U need them dont put old ones back in packet .
and if they rust GO buy a new packet Dog05.gif
Mully
Should have mentioned my advice is for trebles on lures, I never re use singles ever....And I will never ever use a stainless hook very unfriendly product when lost and left in a fishes mouth or gut my view is stainless should be banned from use high carbon is a friendly product which will rust away very quickly when a water flow is applied a bit slower if just sitting in brine but will dissolve regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.