> Jumpas When Is The Best Time For Squid
Sir Reel
post May 12 2010, 02:00 AM
Post #1

*Narcho's*

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,557

Seeing as your the expert in Squidlys
I thought I woul pick your brains a bit.
So does the moon stages affect squid?
I know you need clean water, and dusk and dawn work better.
And above weed beds of cource.
But is there a paticuler time I sould be targeting them?
Do you burley for them?
Cheers

--------------------
insanity takes it's toll, I make sure I have plenty of spare change

Catch ya L8ter

John

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 12 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #2

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Cant answer all your Q's but here is wot I know
Did quite well on them again o weekend

If you're after a good feed & to get them up in no time best to start an hr or so B4 dark this gives ewe enough time to locate them cause they aren't allways where ewe found them last time.

Cause I've been going out solo of late wot I do is use 2 rods
One to jig with & the other wit a baitrunner rel on it light overhead with ratchet will also do the trick

On this rod I tie on the squid jig have been using a large 4 gramma , was using a daisy chain of 3 jigs with lead taken out rigged up on a paddymonster with lead on bottom but gave that the flick cause it was a bit messy.

Here's wot I think is a must, get yourself wun of those clip on bobby cork floats found a whole box of them @ viva wun day & confiscated a few doz hysterical.gif
Reason they are so good is that you can depress bottom let line slide through to adjust required depth pretty important when drifting over area's that change depth.

Float also keeps line away from motor/boat esp good when using the lecky I generally have have float 10 meters out, if there's still daylight disappearing float indicated a squiddy has got it when it gets dark your ears tell you set a light ratchet & when you hear it ewe know there's a squid there.

Of late this rig has prob accounted for 70% of the squid taken not bad for something unattended wun good reason me tinks is that I prob have quite a few follow ups on the jig rod that dont take jig & nail the jig under the float cause it's just sitting there.

Have gone up to a 2.5 grama on jig rod opposed to the 1.5 gramma I was using early in the season when gathering bait for the kungs those squid were in much shallower water so a lighter jig suited best.

Make sure you let jig sink deep enough b4 starting retrieve as the squid are hiding on the bottom in either weed or kelp

Once that sun goes down & ewe have that last 1/2 of light things start to really hot up that's when they come out to feed & if your sounder is showing baitfish all the better.

Just an observation, the nights there's fluresence in the water seem to be the best prob because the jig causes a disturbence & is easier to see

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Sir Reel
post May 13 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #3

*Narcho's*

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,557

Thanks mate.
Have tied the float thing.
The multi rig would be intresting.
Seems a bit of hit and miss with no constent catches.
Thought the moon may play a part ie dark or full etc.

--------------------
insanity takes it's toll, I make sure I have plenty of spare change

Catch ya L8ter

John

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 13 2010, 02:39 AM
Post #4

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Alot of it is guesswork John

Have brained them on both no & full moon & complete oppososite results as well so it's hard to say

One thing I have observed though is that when predators such as kungs bonnys etc are about the squid shut down & you really have to work hard to get them

When that happens I tuck right up against the rocks in shallower water, to save getting snagged I use a pair of side cutters & snip away most of the lead on the jig.

From wot I saw last trip down your way it should be a haven for squid some great looking coast line

Dont neglete those protruding rock formations sticking out of nowhere they look velly squiddy country

Wash wont effect the squid either so dont by-pass those spots

Like anything after a few trips out chasing them with a bit of success you'll quickly nut out how to nail them

The multi rig would be intresting.

Nothing special & really not needed just a padamonster rig with knots tied so as the droppers face upwards so as the jigs dont tangle, just snip off lead weights only leaving behind wots embeded into the jig.

Seems a bit of hit and miss with no constent catches.

Like I said be out there 1/2 hr b4 dark for best results
Getting out a bit earlier is velly wise morso to give you time to locate where they are

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:45 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates