Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Fishing Report
kkw
post Nov 11 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #1

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 30

I suppose that a report will keep a couple of you interested?
Just arrived back to Sydney, from a couple of weeks at Forster/Tuncurry. We had a couple of days of strong wind and some rain, but overall, the days were terrific. The water temp warmed up noticeably whilst we were there and the fish didn't disappoint. Many, many releases of big flathead over 70cm and dozens which were 36cm and under. This year saw a lot of big flathead encounters and a fair bit of gear lost in the racks, trying to slow down the monsters. A mate got his PB at 95cm and it took a good 10 - 15 minutes to land. Photos were taken and she swam away strongly. We had fantastic sunrises, small tides and even heavy fog one morning. I was surprised to see how much the channels and waterways have changed. So much sand has moved and areas blocked off. Most of the big flatties were caught in around 60cm of water and towed us around the flats for some minutes before settling in for a good fight. I fished heavier than in previous years, using 12lb braid and 17lb fluorocarbon leader, but did land a 54cm fish on 6lb line and 4lb leader. I have booked for 3 weeks next year and am looking forward to it already. Came across a bloke who was pedalling his little Hobie for all he was worth and hardly making headway. He had forgotten the seat as well, so wasn't doing too well. Finally figured out the problem for him, when he returned to the ramp. He had forgotten to take the trolley and wheels off, when he launched. Got to have a laugh at someone's expense every now and again. I was staked in at a good spot where there is a break in the oyster covered reef, one morning and the tide was coming in, funnelling through the gap. I had landed a couple of nice fish and a bloke spotted the bend in my rod and raced over in his tinny. Electric motor came out and he cruised all around me, fanning cast in all directions. I hooked up on a big mother and actually saw it speed in from the shallows and nail my SP before taking off with the drag screaming. Guess where it went! Straight under the keel of the tinny, which was only 3m away from me, cutting me off. I didn’t say anything as he wouldn’t look in my direction, but pulled up the stake and moved off to another section. He left shortly after, probably looking for another spot where someone looked to be catching fish. That would probably have been the biggest flathead I had hooked and seen for the trip, but suspect some of the ones which broke me off before coming within sight of the kayak, were bigger. All good fun.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  3.jpg ( 484.87K ) Number of downloads: 3
Attached File  4.jpg ( 371.53K ) Number of downloads: 4

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Nov 11 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (kkw @ Nov 12 2018, 09:18 AM) *
I suppose that a report will keep a couple of you interested?
Just arrived back to Sydney, from a couple of weeks at Forster/Tuncurry. We had a couple of days of strong wind and some rain, but overall, the days were terrific. The water temp warmed up noticeably whilst we were there and the fish didn't disappoint. Many, many releases of big flathead over 70cm and dozens which were 36cm and under. This year saw a lot of big flathead encounters and a fair bit of gear lost in the racks, trying to slow down the monsters. A mate got his PB at 95cm and it took a good 10 - 15 minutes to land. Photos were taken and she swam away strongly. We had fantastic sunrises, small tides and even heavy fog one morning. I was surprised to see how much the channels and waterways have changed. So much sand has moved and areas blocked off. Most of the big flatties were caught in around 60cm of water and towed us around the flats for some minutes before settling in for a good fight. I fished heavier than in previous years, using 12lb braid and 17lb fluorocarbon leader, but did land a 54cm fish on 6lb line and 4lb leader. I have booked for 3 weeks next year and am looking forward to it already. Came across a bloke who was pedalling his little Hobie for all he was worth and hardly making headway. He had forgotten the seat as well, so wasn't doing too well. Finally figured out the problem for him, when he returned to the ramp. He had forgotten to take the trolley and wheels off, when he launched. Got to have a laugh at someone's expense every now and again. I was staked in at a good spot where there is a break in the oyster covered reef, one morning and the tide was coming in, funnelling through the gap. I had landed a couple of nice fish and a bloke spotted the bend in my rod and raced over in his tinny. Electric motor came out and he cruised all around me, fanning cast in all directions. I hooked up on a big mother and actually saw it speed in from the shallows and nail my SP before taking off with the drag screaming. Guess where it went! Straight under the keel of the tinny, which was only 3m away from me, cutting me off. I didn’t say anything as he wouldn’t look in my direction, but pulled up the stake and moved off to another section. He left shortly after, probably looking for another spot where someone looked to be catching fish. That would probably have been the biggest flathead I had hooked and seen for the trip, but suspect some of the ones which broke me off before coming within sight of the kayak, were bigger. All good fun.

Very good report and great photos, good to see you out and about and wetting a line. Shame members don't respond to these topics any more, couple of years ago this report would have had 10 replies by now.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
kkw
post Nov 11 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #3

Thanks Frank. Yes you are right. Where's my alias for FR smile.gif

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Nov 12 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #4

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Member No.: 13

Some Nice Flatties there Klaus, I hope you had a good feed on them, It's great to see someone doing some fishing.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
kkw
post Nov 12 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Sumo. Kept around a dozen for the 2 weeks and released around 140 or so. Yes they are a nice change from blackfish fillets, albeit a bit drier in texture. Good times. Sad to see some of the regulars who have made the annual holiday a fun time, have slipped their moorings, fallen off the perch, never to be seen again. Only country bloke still coming, is Eddie from Quirindi.

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Nov 13 2018, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (kkw @ Nov 13 2018, 08:31 AM) *
Sumo. Kept around a dozen for the 2 weeks and released around 140 or so. Yes they are a nice change from blackfish fillets, albeit a bit drier in texture. Good times. Sad to see some of the regulars who have made the annual holiday a fun time, have slipped their moorings, fallen off the perch, never to be seen again. Only country bloke still coming, is Eddie from Quirindi.

Welcome aboard " KILLER ".

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
kkw
post Nov 13 2018, 02:06 AM
Post #7

You're too astute Frank. Just don't tell Doona

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Nov 13 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #8

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Member No.: 13

Sounds Like You had a great couple of weeks, I love fishing over there and at Laurieton, But don't get the chance lately,
I haven't got any fishing companions up this way.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 02:37 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates