Reply to this topicStart new topic
> .270, .308, 30.06, What would you prefer
Spudly
post Sep 21 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #41

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

got my 250 for luggin kkw... Its Fibregaurd, stainless and fluted and nice and light, with a leupold on top...

This one will be for shooting out of the car, or minimal lugging..

Any Opinions on the Hakko Scopes??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Sep 21 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #42

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Rum,
Try checking out the specials in the shooting magazines, If they haven't got what you want advertised just give them a ring, you never know what some of these big dealers have hiding in corners.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 21 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #43

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Rumpus it all boils down to what you know.

I know .270 & that's where I'll go again no different to fishing tackle

And yep as kk said these big guns do get a bit heavy to lug around I'll prob have to get me a caddy if I get another one laugh.gif

I priced the Tikka .270 @ the Bankstown gun shop a few months back with stainless barrel $1,050

Now that the cooling off period is no more when I finally decide to go for another shoot I can just walk in & buy it

Runnus Fustus gave me a scope a couple of months back cant recall brand name I'll have to dig it out to see
I can tell you I liked the optics on it & the scope came with it's own bridge mounts

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
kkw
post Sep 21 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #44

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Member No.: 30

Rumpus, just a quick check of what I have left.
900 x large rifle primers, Lee Loader (hand loader) for .357/.38, RCBS 5-0-5 scales, RCBS single stage press with shell holder, RCBS powder thrower/measure, 3 x caseguard ammo boxes(50 rds), .22 Hornet dies and shell holder as new, Bushnell bore scope sighter/collimator, CMI Deluxe Rifle safe. about 600 rds .222 handloaded ammo.

This post has been edited by kkw: Sep 21 2008, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 22 2008, 03:09 AM
Post #45

*FruitLoop* 53

Im interested in the press and associated gear to use it. Thhe .222 rounds and safe aint much use, but i have a mate with one, so may be able to pass them onto him.. Are they new or used brass.

+Quote Post
kkw
post Sep 22 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #46

They are rounds. Loaded ammo. Ready to fire.

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Sep 22 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #47

*The Manilla Gorilla*

I was told that a new line of scopes would be appearing on gunshop shelves early in 2002. Well, they are here.

Hakko is a well-known Japanese scope manufacturer and has had 40 years’ experience in this field. Many shooters may be using one of their products without knowing it, as they have produced scopes for other companies for many years.

Olin Australia (Winchester) will be distributing the new range under the Hakko brand name. It will be emphasised that these scopes are fully manufactured and assembled in Japan and not outsourced to other countries.

Eight riflescopes were supplied for this review. Five were from the ‘Smooth Body’ BH series, which have one-inch aluminium tubes. The other three were from the ‘Superb’ range, which, among other features, have a one-piece aircraft grade aluminium 30mm tube. All have a matte finish and are filled with dry nitrogen.

All Hakko scopes are claimed to be ‘wide angle’ and ‘magnum proof’.

This is a neat little scope that would be absolutely ideal on a rimfire or perhaps a .22 Hornet. For hunting small game on foot out to 150 metres, this is an excellent spread of scope power. It would also be a good choice for spotlighting rabbits, as too much power can be a hindrance at night. The standard duplex-type crosshairs were fine enough in the centre to allow for precise aiming on small targets. The quarter-minute click adjustments were positive and were user-friendly. A raised section of the knob made adjustment possible with thumb and forefinger.

Although these two scopes appear to be similar, the 4x is actually 30cm in length, which is some 3cm shorter than the 6x. The clarity of all of the scopes tested was above average and either of these two scopes would give good service to those who prefer fixed power at the lower magnification. There should be no problem about putting one of these on your favourite centrefire rifle for general use. Both scopes employed the standard duplex reticle, which is arguably the best choice for all round hunting.

This scope is 35.5cm in length and shooters may have to remove the rear sights (if supplied) when fitting to their rifle. Scopes of this power are ideal for longer range sniping at small targets, such as rabbits and crows. The duplex crosshairs are fine enough to allow for precise aiming and a tennis ball at a measured 200 metres could be quartered. The perceived ‘brightness’ of the image in failing light bears testimony to modern lens technology.

The second of the variables tested, the BHZFW 4-12x40 is a longer scope, at 37cm and just less than half a kilo in weight. The most obvious feature is the range focus, also known as ‘parallax adjustment’ or ‘adjustable objective’ by other manufacturers. This allows for precise focussing at high magnifications and is a useful feature. There have been problems with some variables in the past, which would change point of impact when the power was moved from low to high - but not with this scope. The variable power covers a useful range and could be used for various applications with a centrefire rifle.

At 38cm and 500gm, plus a 56mm objective lens, this is a big scope. It has a one-inch tube, but high mounts will almost certainly be required to clear your barrel. Years ago, when skins were worth something, most professional fox rifles were equipped with 8x56 scopes of some persuasion. The wide field of view, plus the extra light-gathering power, makes this configuration attractive.

The R8 GR reticule is unusual in that it has three thick bars that extend out from the three, six and nine o’clock positions. Along the horizontal crosshair, there are three stadia bars either side of the centre. These are excellent for holding off in crosswinds. The vertical crosshair contains numerous lines for holding over at extreme range, plus a graded series of lines for range estimation. As it is difficult to explain how this works without having the actual scope in front of the reader, I suggest that prospective buyers ask to see one and refer to the comprehensive instructions. An interesting feature is the use of an erector tube coil spring - this is a superior method of ensuring that the point of impact does not change and is often seen on high quality benchrest scopes.

This scope weighs in at more than 600gm, has a 30mm tube and is 40cm in length. Medium to high mounts will be required for most rifles. It has a military-style mil-dot reticule, with four dots extending out from the centre in all four directions. Even those not familiar with this layout will soon appreciate the ease with which targets can be acquired at extreme ranges. Instead of the more common front lens adjustable objective, this scope has a side-mounted arrangement, which is graduated from ten yards out to infinity. The theory behind this, as I understand it, is that a tactical shooter can make adjustments with his left hand, so his right hand is free to control the rifle and trigger while continuing to observe through the scope.

There is a new patented gear zoom system, which utilises a 35-degree cut in the tube. This differs from the usual 270-degree cut required by many scopes. It is claimed that this results in a body strength 34 times stronger than the old method.

The military-style knobs were quite stiff to use and were graduated into quarter-minute clicks. This is a serious scope for serious work and would not look out of place on any quality rifle.

At 42cm in length and 800gm in weight, this is a big scope. The 56mm objective lens dictates that high mounts be used on most rifles. The power range will cover most applications that the average shooter will encounter.

It also features a side mounted range focus, again graduated from ten yards to infinity.

Target type elevation and windage knobs are supplied as standard. It is recommended a rifle be zeroed using this scope and then the owner may set up calibrated rings that are part of the adjusters. Pick a distance, zero the rifle and then set the ring at ‘0’ with the Allen key supplied. Using this set-up, one can always have a reference point to go back to if further adjustments are ever made.

The ‘IL’ in the title refers to this scope having an illuminated dot in the centre of the crosshairs. This works very well in failing light and gives an excellent reference point. However, it is easy to leave the IL power ring in the ‘on’ position and flatten the expensive three-volt battery. One would be well advised to seek out a spare, as these proved hard to find.

Sumo has batteries on hand.

This post has been edited by SUMOFISHIN: Sep 22 2008, 07:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 22 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #48

*FruitLoop* 53

Yea, I read that on the SSAA website.. Have you ever seen them Sumo? Would you reccomend one? Im not sure what price they are worth.. Im buying ti from a freind (Professional Shooter) in the box, at what he claims is a Bargin.. But have neer heard much of the brand myself.

He said its a 5-15 x56

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Sep 22 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #49

Twoeyesea

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,659

Found this Rum.. Do you feel like some practice?

A PIG the size of a shetland pony is holding a woman hostage on a property in northern New South Wales.

Caroline Hayes says she cannot go out of her Uki house to use the outdoor toilet because the pig is aggressive towards her.

Ms Hayes, 63, says the pig has managed to get into her bedroom.

"It's a beautiful male pig but he's just so big and so pushy," she said.

"He's actually getting very cranky at the moment. He pushes my door and I push a little bit and he gets in and I've got to push him out of my room."

She says says even rangers from Murwillumbah Council have failed to capture the animal.

"The rangers came out to my house yesterday with a dog cage and this pig is that big, it's like trying to put an elephant in a dog cage," she said.

"They tried for a little while and they couldn't do it. They got him halfway in and he just backed off and went back to my dam, where he was having a lovely time in the water."

Rangers are still trying to capture the pig today.

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
kkw
post Sep 22 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #50

Yeah. Take a broom with you just in case.

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 22 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #51

*FruitLoop* 53

haha, Mate, we have already got her phone number from the white pages and going to try to call her.. Long way from here though...

A pig that pic is more likly to be domestic.. Id say its a pet!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 23 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #52

His Eminance

Hey Rumpus !

If you can get Dave to teach you how to use a Telescopic Stick you wont need a new gun laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Sep 23 2008, 05:03 AM
Post #53

*Telescopic Stick*

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Sep 20 2008, 07:43 PM) *
Chad,
I'm with KKw on this, as I've said before I used them all, and always preffered the 308w being a NATO round the ammo is readily available, I have pulled off some incredible shots on roo's and Pigs at 1000 and 1200mtrs now I don't know what range you want to shoot over but the extra benefit of the noisy 270 and 30:06 is minimal and both caliburs are almost obsolete in Australia, I have had 308 in Ruger, Remington, Spanish Mauser, and settled on a very solid Aus Mountaineer which is a Japanese Howa and a better rifle by a long shot Also sold as Weatherby.

news to me for when we go you miss every thing in sight come home and have to go to butcher to buy me meat.......cant even shoot me a rabbit .......getting old sumo eye sight not what it used to be old friend....

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Sep 23 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #54

*Telescopic Stick*

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Sep 23 2008, 07:04 PM) *
Hey Rumpus !

If you can get Dave to teach you how to use a Telescopic Stick you wont need a new gun laugh.gif laugh.gif

got a sale on TELESCOPIC STICKS today only call 0055 66775566 now ...call me NOW

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 24 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #55

His Eminance

QUOTE (CATCH22 @ Sep 23 2008, 11:03 PM) *
news to me for when we go you miss every thing in sight come home and have to go to butcher to buy me meat.......cant even shoot me a rabbit .......getting old sumo eye sight not what it used to be old friend....

DAve are you still spewing over that esky ?????????

Well peeps Dave got himself a Big new esky just for shooting mind ewes to bring back meat

Well after 1/2 doz trips up to SUMO's the esky was still in brand new condition cause they could never shoot anything to put in the bloody thing laugh.gif laugh.gif

Dave even tried his telescpic stick but alas it's only good for 10 meters, deadly accurate @ that range mind ewes but Dave keeps telling me that SUMO keeps scaring the crap out of evewrything with his Red T-Shirt & he cant get a shot in laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Sep 25 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #56

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Hey Rumpus,
You should get Dave to tell the story of the time we were sitting in the car and Jumpy went stalking Goats, it goes a bit like this :: Jumpy stops the car and goes stalking a mob of goats which were a few hundred meters to our right,
When he had gone about 30 meters he decided to lay on the ground and try a long shot, well as he got settled I yelled out Jumpy come back here Dave said shut up he will get upset and I said Dave Look over my left shoulder! to my left was a mob of goats that had wandered around the hill and within 10 meters of the car, well Dave hung out of his window and yelled to jumpy that there was goats here, To our suprise Jumpy came back saw the goats got all excited and put 3 shots into the nearest Cloud well the goats walked away LAUGHING hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif He didn't even make it Rain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Sep 25 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #57

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Have you ever seen them Sumo? Would you reccomend one?

Rumpus I did post a reply to this and somehow it has disappeared, My 6-30x56Scope is a HAKKO Range focus Nitro Point Electronic, It is just sitting in its box waiting for a rifle to mount it on, This scope is 19 inches long and pretty heavy for a scope, I had it on my ZKK BRNO 375 H&H Magnum but the weight was too much for the RECOIL and it broke the mounts, I then tried it on my Ruger 300wm and the recoil kept making the mounts moove forward it has been back in it's box since.

you can see it when you call in, Hakko also made many scopes for Bushnell and Tasco, I do have some of their Variables on the shelf But they are made in the Hong Kong Factory and unlabled, whereas the Japanese models are always labelled ( Made in Japan) if you are going to buy one at big prices make sure it is labelled I can sell the unlabelled models for around $100.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 26 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #58

His Eminance

SUMO I really didn't believe there could be anything worse than your aim
But there is & it's called your memory.

For the record I think the guys here should hear the truth about that incident which SUMO boldly twisted into the Biggest Porky I've ever heard.

And let Dave be my witness cause he was there

Yep we did come across 2 herds of goats , around 30 or so Nanny's & Kids in the main bunch & around 7 Billy's 50 meters down hill from them, we spotted them 400 meters away, I pulled up & turned the motor off in the car.

SUMO ! the big white hunting guide who wears the same Red T-Shirt to go shooting in day in day out [think it's to scare everything away] started raving on he knew where to head the goats off [what a load of crap that was] sat in the car watching them for around 15 minutes & I decided they weren't going anywhere as they were grazing.

With the wind blowing in our faces it was a shite easy stalk around the side of the hill, so Dave & I set off on the stalk SUMO who cant walk 10 meters without losing his breathe stayed behind & had the shits.

Anyone who's ever hunted goats knows wind in your face if you cant see them they cant see you & dont know you're there. the stalk was easy Dave & I were nearly on top of them but still couldn't see them we looked back @ the car & all we could see was this big red thing [SUMO in his T shirt for those who haven't jerry'd.

I made 2 mistakes that day
1st was that I didn't tie SUMO up b4 going on the stalk
2nd was that I left my keys in the ignition

Here's where you guys get to sort of know what sort of guy SUMO is
Those who know me know very well nobody controls Jumpus & out of spite or what ever you want to call it SUMO the plick jumps in my car starts it up & starts heading our way his aim was to scare the goats away so he could say

**You Should've Listened To Me**

He then had the hide to tell us that a kangaroo spooked the goats away

Dave as my witness will confirm this

I'll leave the story's @ that cause I'll only get very cranky recalling the rest of them

I've told SUMO I'll sit & have coffee with him etc, pop in & say hello if in the area

But I Will Never Ever Again go SHOOTING with Him

SUMO you are the most DANGEROUUS person I've ever come across in regards to Firearms & I'll leave it @ that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 18 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #59

His Eminance

QUOTE (kkw @ Sep 20 2008, 11:51 AM) *
That is the calibre I would choose. I have shot Tahr, Chamois, deer, pigs and buffalo with the .308 and it worked perfectly. Only once did I need a second shot on a buff.

What about blackfish kk

They any good on the vegies ???????????? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkw
post Oct 18 2011, 03:24 AM
Post #60

Yes, the .308 cleans, scales and fillets them with one shot. Where'd you dig this old thread from???

This post has been edited by kkw: Oct 18 2011, 03:31 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 04:47 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates