> Broadband (wireless)
Spudly
post Sep 6 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #1

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

Heres one, maybe for OZ...

Im moving house at the end of the month and my only options for Broadband being out of town are...

1. To keep the Cable connection they have (think its pretty expensive, he used it for online gaming)

2. To get Telstra Wireless..... BUT Do i get a wireless desktop modem or go with the Card modem for the laptop...
I recon the laptop card makes it much more mobile, but if i get anyone move in with another coputer / laptop, then they will have to route through my laptop to use the net.. (or get another connection which dont make much sense)

What do yas recon?!!?!?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poly
post Sep 6 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #2

the yack man

Member No.: 4

the easy way would be to stay were u are, me thinks hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 6 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

1. To keep the Cable connection they have (think its pretty expensive, he used it for online gaming)

The plan you go on determies how expensive it gets.

I'd be ringing your ISP up, you'll find being in a country town out woop woop the same ISP does all the services.

Just ask them to do a transfer of the existing account prob wont cost you anything for the transfer

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 6 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #4

*FruitLoop* 53

Im on ADSL, where im moving to the lines dont support DSL. So ive basically got stick with his cable account, Wireless or dial up..

Main question is which wireless.. Telstra have said they woudl swap my account for me, just gotta pick which one

+Quote Post
Christos
post Sep 7 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #5

Kokino Vraka

Group: Members

Member No.: 220

How fast do you want your connection? How fast is it now? That is what you should be asking.

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 7 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #6

*FruitLoop* 53

I dont think it has anything to do with speed other than i want dial up or broadband.. I dont want dial up..

I dont want to take over his cable, although alot stabler connection, its too expensive and i dont play games.. My options are satalite (which is CRAP, i know i used to work for a sat company) or wireless.. My questions is to which wireless device to go for?

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 7 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #7

His Eminance

Why would you want to have anything other than cable ???????

You said the conection is allready on the premises so why fart arse about trying to get anything else.

Cable is the fastest of any of the services runs something like a constant 1500

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 7 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #8

*FruitLoop* 53

I dont want to take over his cable, although alot stabler connection, its too expensive and i dont play games

To keep the Cable connection they have (think its pretty expensive, he used it for online gaming)

Are two reasons...

The third is that it is not Mobile..

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 7 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #9

His Eminance

Bullshit it's more expensive laugh.gif laugh.gif

Only reason I dont have it here is because they only alot X amount of conection per street so as not to overload the lines.

A mate has got it in the same street & he's paying slightly less than me.

It only gets expensive when you start including services like pay TV to the account.

Unless you ring to find out you're only speculating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 7 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #10

*FruitLoop* 53

Cable is not a servie that can be connected out here anymore jumpus.. Its the middle of nowhere and its a special connection.. The only reason they let him keep it was because the wireless loses to many packets for gaming and you canot get a stable connection. Because he already has it they cannot take it off him.

I cannot keep the cable at the house unless it stays in his name and i pay him for it, otherwise they want to disconnect the line. I dont particularly want to pay for it cause it is nearly 3 times the cost of wireless... Ive seen the bills and gone through it all already..

Thus the reason im looking at ; which wireless system to go for?

+Quote Post
oz man
post Sep 7 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #11

The Guru

Group: Root Admin

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Rumpus @ Sep 7 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Cable is not a servie that can be connected out here anymore jumpus.. Its the middle of nowhere and its a special connection.. The only reason they let him keep it was because the wireless loses to many packets for gaming and you canot get a stable connection. Because he already has it they cannot take it off him.

I cannot keep the cable at the house unless it stays in his name and i pay him for it, otherwise they want to disconnect the line. I dont particularly want to pay for it cause it is nearly 3 times the cost of wireless... Ive seen the bills and gone through it all already..

Thus the reason im looking at ; which wireless system to go for?

Now That is crap , if there is cable connected to the house you can have it transferred to anyone .
As for the wireless satelite they are shit and keep on dropping out due to climatic conditions, and personally would never touch but if you have to gowireless use the usb dongle transmitter as they are more reliable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Sep 7 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #12

*FruitLoop* 53

QUOTE (oz man @ Sep 8 2008, 06:45 AM) *
Now That is crap , if there is cable connected to the house you can have it transferred to anyone .
As for the wireless satelite they are shit and keep on dropping out due to climatic conditions, and personally would never touch but if you have to gowireless use the usb dongle transmitter as they are more reliable.

The wireless im talking bout is the telstra next g... id never go the satalite.. i used to sell it and it was shit.. dunno bout the next g though..

i dont think the cable out here is exactly what you got in sydney.. mind you, im not exactly sure how it works... Im pretty sure they didnt run cables 50lkms out of town just to his house, he is the only house within 10kms so i doubt he got special treatment.. But he pays by useage and trust me, im not keeping it.. ive seen the bills!!!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 7 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #13

His Eminance

But he pays by useage and trust me, im not keeping it.. ive seen the bills!!!

Geez Rumpus what part dont you get ????????

In your own words you said the guy uses it in his buisness

Do you honestly think you'll be using anywhere near what he uses ???????

Instead of looking @ the guys bills why dont you do the sensible thingy & ring the ISP to get a confirmed price instead of just speculating

--------------------

+Quote Post
oz man
post Sep 7 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #14

The Guru

The 3G system is done by mobile towering and satelite system and is alot beter than just satelite.
But be aware they really hit you hard for over usage on that system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christos
post Sep 8 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #15

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

I have been reading this and see that the best option would be to try it out for a period that you are there. That way you find out how much you are using and wow could be cheaper as you do not play games.

+Quote Post
storms72
post Sep 8 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #16

Shark

Member No.: 393

My 2 cents! Can kinda believe the cable thing, in some areas where I install the waiting list on cable and even ADSL is so big the moment someone disconnects due to whatever reason their port is given to the next on the list! The service providers didn't allow enough in their carrier systems for such rapid growth in the high speed data internet business.

Been using a 3G mobile for a few months now and the coverage in known blackspots is velly good, I guess its the same as what you would use for a PC!

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!

+Quote Post
oz man
post Sep 8 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #17

The Guru

QUOTE (storms72 @ Sep 8 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Been using a 3G mobile for a few months now and the coverage in known blackspots is velly good, I guess its the same as what you would use for a PC!

yep it is identical.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:34 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates