Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Under Binding
jasonb
post Jan 12 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #1

the wizz kid

Group: Members

Member No.: 9

hey guys im just wondering do you guys when putting on new eyes do you underbind the eye s,? as in do you run a seat of binding around the rod first then bind the eye on top ,ive done a little reading on the subject and its half and half as to what you want to do ,i myself do underbind as i think it protects the blank and stops it from rubbing weak spots ,,,what do you guys reckon ?

--------------------
allways in the shit ,its just the depth that varies
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jan 12 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #2

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

mate ive never done it, but from what i understand it depens on the what you want from the blank and the action?

underbinding may make it last longer but will affect the action/weight of it...

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 12 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Yep Yep I allways underbind.

Factory built rods dont have any underbings but they are built to budget & thats the reason for no underbings on those rods.

If you remove a guide from one of thos factory rods wsp the graphite ones you'll see for yourself how the guide foot actually imprints into the blank sort of compress's into the blank.

Exept in the case of a single foot guide another reason why under bings are used is more a cosmetic thingy, under bindings allow the rod builder to add a pattern into the bindings.

When you're binding on the larger guides such as rollered guides you can break up the section between the feet with a few rotations of a different colour.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jan 12 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

I never built a rod from scratch. (Pardon the pun)

I underbind all that I replace no matter what the rod is used for. If I am going to spend some time replacing a runner then I think that it should not scratch the surface that it is going to be sitting on.

I also remove the sharp edge on the feet using a very high wet and dry so that it is slightly rounded.

+Quote Post
Arnie Dog
post Jan 13 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #5

*The Dog Master*

Member No.: 17

Good question Jason as Jumpy said an under will help protect a blank from damage due to excessive pressure e.g a game rod or heavy line class rod, beach rod....... I agree with the lad on alot of what he says but for me when building a light weight rod e.g 1-2kg I use single foot guides for a few reasons and I don't underbind them. Reasons are as follows. They don't restrict the action of the rod as much as two footed guides, they are lighter, they help prevent line slap when casting . I'm not sure if you are aware but you can get singles in a high or low frame configuration, in the case of singles I use high frame guides. Christos mentioned filing off sharps or burrs. This is a must when not underbinding or as The Jumping one said it will actually damage the rod and eventually the blank will snap. I go as far as using wet and dry paper to make sure the foot is smooth. I build alot of rods and do workshops for a mag. Any questions don't hesitate to send a PM. I am building two Sabre game rods at the moment with Aftco detachable butts and fully rollered with Big Game roller tips to accomodate wind on leaders. These rods in parts alone are in the $500 range. Glad I'm not buying them. Take care and keep up the good questions

This post has been edited by Arnie Dog: Jan 13 2008, 08:53 PM

--------------------

The George Street Shuffle

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 03:57 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates