> Speed Of Drying Motor
It'l Do
post Mar 25 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #1

*Tooth Fairy*

Group: Donator

Member No.: 2,553

Jumpy,

What speed is your finisher/dryer motor?
Reasearching - common speeds seem to be around 6 & 18 rpm.

Some also mention applying the guide & wrap finishing epoxy at upto 200 rpm. This seems very fast. Is your dryer speed adjustable.

Was given a 24V DC motor with gearbox and at 3V was around 4rpm and at 12V was around 16rpm. I have not tested it at hight voltages. Will run of an adjustable plug pack.

Next step is to get the wraping motor.

--------------------
Don't tell anybody but my name is Fushin Freddie
I don't exaggerate...I just remember BIG!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 25 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #2

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Just timed it

3 R P M

You'll want to make sure the wraping motor free spins that's why the sewing machines motors are so good

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
It'l Do
post Mar 25 2008, 04:55 AM
Post #3

*Tooth Fairy*

Thanks for that. I will run around 4 - 6 rpm depending on the voltage on the plug pack.

Question: There is no way I can stop/stall the motor due to the gearbox. Is there any need to hold the rod still when applying the finishing epoxy?
If so I assume the rubber cups you use will allow you to do that.

Yes read before that I need to get a sewing machine motor and foot control for wrapping, just have not had a look where to buy one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 25 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #4

His Eminance

Question: There is no way I can stop/stall the motor due to the gearbox. Is there any need to hold the rod still when applying the finishing epoxy?
If so I assume the rubber cups you use will allow you to do that.

You really need to be able to turn the rod free hand when applying the resin else you'll miss spots & it's a pain waiting for the motor to revolve the rod again.

I dont secure the rod to the motor till after the resin has been applied & just let it sit on rollers till I'm done

--------------------

+Quote Post
It'l Do
post Mar 25 2008, 05:18 AM
Post #5

*Tooth Fairy*

Once again thanks.

One less thing to do now. Thought I might have to buy or make a clutch system.

See ask the question and you don't have to buy the book. laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MartinF
post Mar 25 2008, 05:23 AM
Post #6

*Bunyip Man*

Member No.: 2,565

good thing about the new auction thingie is that you can just bash all your failed first attempts on here like ol' jumps does and then say you've fished happily with them for years but have since moved on to bigger and better things and are now selling the surplus SmellyFarTing.gif

--------------------
Flying Dutchman.. soon to be fishing my way around Oz. Check http://www.mytb.org/MartinNL for my blog and if you think I'm coming near where you live, let me know!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 25 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #7

His Eminance

Smart SmellyFarTing.gif

I'm gonna tell Santa Klaus not to visit you anymore cause you wet the bed laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
It'l Do
post Mar 25 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #8

*Tooth Fairy*

Don't think that will be the problem Martin.
I only hope the bug does not bite and I end up building as many rods as Jumpy. I am not retired so there is no way I would get to use them. Hang on I can flog them on the Auction forum if that happens. hysterical.gif

Seriously, I want to build my own rods because I can and want to know how it is done. Then next year I will build each of my kids a rod (1 blue and 1 pink) like none that can be commerically bought. Just because I can. fish.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MartinF
post Mar 25 2008, 05:55 AM
Post #9

*Bunyip Man*

yeah mate I hear you.. I would defo give it a try myself as well if I lived over there. Would just be cool to fish with a rod that you built up yourself. Will prob take some practice to get the nice clean results that some (like jumps) get but would be well worth it.

--------------------
Flying Dutchman.. soon to be fishing my way around Oz. Check http://www.mytb.org/MartinNL for my blog and if you think I'm coming near where you live, let me know!

+Quote Post
jasonb
post Mar 25 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #10

the wizz kid

Group: Members

Member No.: 9

its actually pretty easy to do guys ,,,,,i dunno what my motor spins at but i can underbind then put on an eye without overuns in about 2 minutes flat ,,,,,

--------------------
allways in the shit ,its just the depth that varies

+Quote Post
jack
post Mar 25 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #11

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (jasonb @ Mar 26 2008, 05:55 PM) *
its actually pretty easy to do guys ,,,,,i dunno what my motor spins at but i can underbind then put on an eye without overuns in about 2 minutes flat ,,,,,

Personally I wouldn't mind having a good perv at some people that do this regularly to see if I could get into this.
Are there any members on this list that do this regularly and don't mind showing of their skills one day?

Are there any workshops around sydney where you can go and have look at it, maybe a factory or something?

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post
oz man
post Mar 26 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #12

The Guru

Group: Root Admin

Member No.: 1

Here is a bloke that put it all in simple language. http://members.datafast.net.au/darrylt/

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasonb
post Mar 26 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #13

the wizz kid

Group: Members

Member No.: 9

jack you would be closer to jumpy ,,and he knows more and has done more than me ,,hed be the guy to see and watch ,as i havent used my gear in a few years ,i was thinkin about gettin back into it again as me old rods need redoing ,i might do em up for the kids ,,,,,,plus ive got some old solid glass rods ide like to refurbish cause they were my fathers years ago ,,,,ill have to buy more thread again though ,,,,,ahahha ebay here i come hahahah

--------------------
allways in the shit ,its just the depth that varies

+Quote Post
It'l Do
post Mar 26 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #14

*Tooth Fairy*

QUOTE (jack @ Mar 26 2008, 06:25 PM) *
Personally I wouldn't mind having a good perv at some people that do this regularly to see if I could get into this.
Are there any members on this list that do this regularly and don't mind showing of their skills one day?

Are there any workshops around sydney where you can go and have look at it, maybe a factory or something?

Jack

Jack, save your money you don't need a workshop. You can start by looking at the free videos in mudhole.com
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101#
Pretty good intro.
Equipment I need is no where as expensive. If you looked at the pictures Jumpy posted you can see how simple it can be.

Start simple and go from there.

Once I get the motors and rod steady (can be as simple a 2 scooter/in-line skate wheels) I will get Jumpy to advise basics need to get started.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MartinF
post Mar 26 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #15

*Bunyip Man*

thanks for the link mate, that's pretty clear.

Looks like a top little hobby, I can just imagine how much better it would be to catch a fish on a rod that you built up yourself, picked out the blank, guides, etc. The whole decorating business could keep you happy for years to come I guess, but even just building it up and binding it without any fancy stuff would be very cool.

Guess I could fit an old sewing machine engine in the 4be somewhere ;-)

Oh I think I now also understand why some ppl have so many rods, once you start building you just never stop... you make one and then you think 'well, if I just changed this and that so and so it would be that little bit better'

edit-

was just readin on ausfish that they have a rodbuilding weekend this coming weekend and since they have a bunch of ppl together they don't even use a machine to turn the blank, as that would require a pretty big workshop with so many ppl. The guy just says "You will need something on which to turn your rod, the best things are rollers, but I improvise and lay the ends of my rod on a pair of my joggers, sounds strange & Stu is always taking the piss, but it works."

So I guess if you really wanted to start out cheap, you could do it by hand completely. Have to say that sounds like a bit of a juggle, but if you're only going to do it once or twice you could probably Maguiver a system which would be a bit more stable than a pair of shoes.. like you say, just use skate wheels or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Mar 26 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #16

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Jack. next time you are over my place I will show you a basic wrap, chevron and show you a few steps that would get you started.
I have long since sold my lathe and most of my rod building equipement, but I can throw a basic rod stand together in about 5 minutes and do everything by hand.
For drying the resin I have a battery powered 1 x d battery that rotates approx 3 revs a minute.
I will try and take a photo of a test pattern rod, that I used to show people for a couple of basic thread designs, and post it here, if I can get this camera to work or I might have to borrow the wifes new digi.
Frank

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
jack
post Mar 26 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #17

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (nimrod @ Mar 27 2008, 10:44 AM) *
Jack. next time you are over my place I will show you a basic wrap, chevron and show you a few steps that would get you started.
I have long since sold my lathe and most of my rod building equipement, but I can throw a basic rod stand together in about 5 minutes and do everything by hand.
For drying the resin I have a battery powered 1 x d battery that rotates approx 3 revs a minute.
I will try and take a photo of a test pattern rod, that I used to show people for a couple of basic thread designs, and post it here, if I can get this camera to work or I might have to borrow the wifes new digi.
Frank

Cool, I plan to be in the area real soon tongue.gif

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Mar 26 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #18

Marlin

Attached File  rod_designs0007.jpg ( 21.67K ) Number of downloads: 14
Attached File  rod_designs0006.jpg ( 19.97K ) Number of downloads: 16
[attachm
ent=761:rod_designs0005.jpg]Attached File  rod_designs0004.jpg ( 14.52K ) Number of downloads: 16
Attached File  rod_designs0003.jpg ( 21.91K ) Number of downloads: 15
Attached File  rod_designs0002.jpg ( 21.03K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  rod_designs0001.jpg ( 23.03K ) Number of downloads: 16

QUOTE (jack @ Mar 27 2008, 11:33 AM) *
Cool, I plan to be in the area real soon tongue.gif

Jack

Hope this works.

This post has been edited by nimrod: Mar 26 2008, 04:53 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  rod_designs0007.jpg ( 21.67K ) Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  rod_designs0005.jpg ( 19.38K ) Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Mar 26 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #19

Marlin

I'm making a mess of editing the post so I will start a new post.

photo 1 unfinished fishies, needs fill in, but couldn't be bothered at the time, as it is just to show pattern.
....... 2 Large and small eagles, can have either or both.
....... 3 out of focus starburst.
....... 4 wide view of sample patterns rod.
....... 5 bit useless.
....... 6 Very basic roller set up, just to hold rod and you turn by hand, or use battery rotisary for drying.

Sorry about the poor photos, there are more photos in the camera but somehow they won't transfer to the computer.
I am going to get a new digi camera one of these days, or borrow the wife's new one.

Either that or transfer from slides 35mm ( my prefered mode of photo taking ) to computer.

Frank

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
MartinF
post Mar 26 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #20

*Bunyip Man*

photo qual is not the problem, the camera is just focussing on the wrong object in the first couple of them, dunno if you can set it to manual but try moving the camera around a bit, you may be in just a bit too close for it to focus on the rod if it doesn't have a macro option.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:28 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates