> Permatrim
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 2 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #21

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Feb 3 2008, 04:04 PM) *
lend me the boat for a few months poly and ill sort it out for ya!!

Rumpus there's 3 thingys you never ask a man to lend you

1. His Car
2. His Boat
3. His Bum

poly trim is only there to fine tune the performance nothing more & yes the motor needs to be tilted in all the way [this is a genaral comment not all boats are set up the same way]

It's no good having your motor trimed up when you take off as the prop wont bite in as well as it will struggle to lift the boats nose up.

Once you're under way that's when you do a slight trim of your motor & I stress trim not tilt by that I mean dont go overboard else you'll start hearing the motor reving out to much & if you hit a bump in the water you will cavitate.

When triming I do it by ear you get to know when your motor is reving just right prob not what you wanted to hear as it dosen't explain alot to you but yep I do it by ear

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Feb 2 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #22

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 3 2008, 05:10 PM) *
Rumpus there's 3 thingys you never ask a man to lend you

1. His Car
2. His Boat
3. His Bum

Well i was gonna borrow your "Ute" to tow it and i thought Poly's were differant to boats?

Id rather have nothing to do with any of your bums!!!

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 2 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #23

the yack man

Member No.: 4

When triming I do it by ear you get to know when your motor is reving just right prob not what you wanted to hear as it dosen't explain alot to you but yep I do it by ear

not having a trim gauge i have to do the same, when i say the motor has to be trimmed out at 5 degrease from the vertical that is an estimate on my part it may be a bit more or less but that is the only way i can get it out of the hole safely.

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Arnie Dog
post Feb 3 2008, 02:57 AM
Post #24

*The Dog Master*

Group: Members

Member No.: 17

Well looks like every one has had their say. If it was me Pol I would get in contact with the people who sold and installed the motor and tell them to sort it out. They would not like it if you started telling others of how they never set up your boat properly in the first palce. But you must give them a chance to rectify the fault first. If they don't ............ DFT Department of Fair Trading just love to deal with people who don't hold up to their end of the bargin.

--------------------

The George Street Shuffle

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 3 2008, 03:25 AM
Post #25

His Eminance

The guys who fit the motor can only do it one way Arnie & that's Central with the Motors Cav Plate flush with bottom of the boats V not much else they can do.

They didn't sell poly the boat just the motor & as long as the motor performs then thats all they are liable for.

Boats aren't like cars each boat is generally fitted to owners specs & the people who sold the motor to poly cant be held responsible for the boats layout or performance.

Poly is best off asking @ the polycraft site he visits if anybody else has had the probs he's had to deal with.

Comments by myself & others here are only general refering to boats in general

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arnie Dog
post Feb 3 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #26

*The Dog Master*

Member No.: 17

Thanks for that i thought they were all in kahoots rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

The George Street Shuffle

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Feb 3 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #27

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

is a Permatrim a brand of hyrofoil cause i been looking at getting one

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Feb 3 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #28

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (southcoastin @ Feb 4 2008, 05:43 PM) *
is a Permatrim a brand of hyrofoil cause i been looking at getting one

Why, what is your boat not doing correctly ?.
Frank

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 3 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #29

the yack man

QUOTE (southcoastin @ Feb 4 2008, 05:43 PM) *
is a Permatrim a brand of hydrofoil cause i been looking at getting one

i would say stay away from them S C i don't think they are worth the trouble, and yes they are a type of hydrofoil. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 3 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #30

His Eminance

Poly if I run into you again there's a few wittle thingy's I can get you to try to rule out this & that
They're a bit hard to convey in a thread & I need to be on the boat to see for myself

southcoastin !

If your boat is performing why would you bother adding something that is not required ???

Personally I'm not a big fan of foils some peeps rave on about them but I dont really think they know what they're on about laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 4 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #31

the yack man

well i had a long talk with a good friend of mine who has had many years in the marine industry, i told him of my problem with the boat trying to do a u turn as i accelerate out of the hole and he suggested that the motor was most likely trimming in to far and trying to berry the nose, and i should move the stop pin out one hole at a time till the problem disappeared if that did not work he would call in next time he was down and sort it out for me.
so i took the boat down to the river this afternoon to give it a try, after moving the stop pin out 2 holes the boat was running strait and true and since the permatrim has fixed the porpoising problem i will leave it alone biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 4 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #32

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Member No.: 13

POLY,
Maybe now that you have the pulling problem fixed, it probably wouldn't hurt to undo the permatrim (it's only four little bolts) and see how the boat performs without it ,
You never know, it could be better

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 4 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #33

the yack man

sumo the the problem only happened coming out of the hole once on the plan she ran strait so i am going to leave well enough alone as the boat is now preforming well

S. C. listen to the advise that J.G. and i have given u if there is a problem with your boat please post it and the members will try to nut it out for u, any thing u add to the motor that is below the water line will rob u of top end speed, in the case of the permatrim on my boat its about 5kmsph so think carefully before fitting one, as u can see it coursed me a head ache and a half rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 4 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #34

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

Good to see you get it sorted poly.

Made for an interesting topic to read also.

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 5 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #35

the yack man

Poly if I run into you again there's a few wittle thingy's I can get you to try to rule out this & that
They're a bit hard to convey in a thread & I need to be on the boat to see for myself

thanks J.G. for offer but as u can see i have it sorted, but the day may still come when i can take u for a ride in my little boat

Good to see you get it sorted poly.

Made for an interesting topic to read also.

thanks mate it sure had me scratching my head.

Poly is best off asking @ the polycraft site he visits if anybody else has had the probs he's had to deal with.

this is something i though about , but this being what i call my home site and with the wisdom of the members here this is the best place to get the help i needed, if dave had not phoned to say he was coming down I AM SURE that one of the members would have come up with the fix biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 5 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #36

His Eminance

Think Rumpus suggested you do that early in the thread poly.

Yep Yep if motor is trimed to far in it's not so much a case of the nose burying itself in quite the opposite actually.

What does happen though is that the motor is trying to get the nose up to quick which in turn can bury the nose off to one side & that's what I think was happening to you.

Again I was not there to see what was going on & my comments are in theory only.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Mar 23 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #37

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

bringing an old topic back from the death i know!!!!

But for 4 years ive always wondered what my boat would handle like without the permatrim that came fitted to it..

Finally i pulled it off and give it a go. After the first run i was defiantly going to put it back on. after the second run i cant believe i took the boat out again without it..

I never had any issues with the permatrim, boat handled fantastic, but was just interested to try..

Things i noticed immediately were;

* boat was much slower to get onto plane. this became even worse when i loaded 4 adults onto boat. now its only a 5.4m boat and has the max HP (130hp 2 stroke) allowed but i do have some weight in the rear in 130lt fuel and 2 batteries and a live well..

* Even with the motor fully trimmed down i could not bring the nose down. this became much worse going into any swell as the boat launched of the waves and was consistent at any speed. the only time the boat really flattened out was at 4000rpm or greater on flat water.

* Now i know someone is going to say I need more negative trim here but there is plenty, believe me, so much so that the motor looks odd fully trimmed down and the steering becomes unbelievably heavy, an issue Ive never before had..

So what i have found with the permatrim installed on my boat!

Much greater control of engine trim / boat relations. I can lift or drop the nose easily.
Much greater take offs, quicker and without the bow lifting.
much much much lighter steering!

I really cant see any reason not to have it on there!

Im sure i could try more things like moving batteries and weight forward, negative trim packing under the engine, hydralic steering (for tight steering) but why would you stuff around with any of that when a boat handles perfectly well with a simple permatrim added.

Thought it is worth sharing my experiance for anyone else going through the same process!

for anyone reading who doesnt know, boat is a haines signature 540f with yamaha 130hp.

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Mar 23 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #38

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Member No.: 13

It Just Goes to show that if you do some experimenting you will solve problems, Diagnosis is something that you can use with all problems especially Motor Vehicles.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Mar 23 2016, 02:10 PM
Post #39

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

I suppose it's good to get another view and opinion on these things.
You have used the boat with the trim on for a while with no apparent issues and now you have tried it with the trim off and found it's not to your liking.
Whatever works for you I spose that's how you have to go.
Personally I don't believe they are needed on trailer sized boats, on larger boats you use trim tabs, same issues you are bandaiding the original problem,
the problem is still there you have just counteracted the problem so it's no longer an obvious problem.
A lot of people confuse porposing with natural wave motion, and think because the boat is moving in a up and down motion that it is porposing.

http://fangnsw.freeforums.org/index.php

This post has been edited by nimrod: May 31 2016, 02:33 PM

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 08:20 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates