Closed TopicStart new topic
> Diy New Boat, Mr hart wot have ewe done
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 11 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #1

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well the project has officially commence I know this cause my body is aching all over laugh.gif

Just to let you's know this will be a closed thread for a few reasons

* Those who are interested in the project can see it from start to finish un-interupted
* Only members who are logged in will be able to view the pics
* Think there's potential for many a spin off threads so Dont be shy to start threads if you have any Q's

Ok started cutting up the frames yesterday will have them all complete by tommorro, didn't bother taking any pics today & took pics below after I'd cut 2 of the frames.

One prob I did have was I couldn't get 2 frames from one sheet so had to weld in the missing overlap pieces.

Frames 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 & 10 relatively easy all straight cuts but 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 & 5 were curved so I hade to transfer the shapes onto some MDF board then use that template as a tracer for the router.

Pic a ... This is part of my new boat laugh.gif twas a shitfight yesterday trying to find a place that sold trammel heads ended up having to make my own set of trammels [ a must for marking out projects like this one.

Pic b ... @ this stage I'd only completed 2 frames I'd rather chech & double check then check again b4 cutting out the shape, can get costly material wise if you make mistakes.

Pic c ... Part of the plans
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a.jpg ( 42.18K ) Number of downloads: 94
Attached File  b.jpg ( 36.6K ) Number of downloads: 66
Attached File  c.jpg ( 43.32K ) Number of downloads: 65

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 14 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #2

His Eminance

Time for a bit of an update me tinks

Had a bit of running around to do picking up things last Friday, needed materials to make up the jiging so didn't get to finish the Frames till yesterday.
After which I started making the 1st part of the jig, I'm building the jig up in 2 parts so it can be pulled apart & moved out to back of premises when the time comes to start welding everything up.
Wont be able to build the boat where I'm currently working cause unless I knock out walls I wont be able to get the boat out so @ present it's just all prep work marking & cutting out.

Pic d.. All the Frames cut & stacked out of the way it was time to start building the jig, Frame 9 is the only full hight frame in the sequence I'm having a sloped back transom [frame 10] so I cut the Marlin door out in frame 9

You'll get a better idea what I'm on about after a few more frames have been secured to the jig.

Pic e.. One cannot be to carefull these days I dont want anybody stealing my plans & idea's so I installed a new security system it's called

The Black Chiwawawa laugh.gif

Pic f.. !/2 the jig complete I got around to securing Frame 8 & 9 B4 I called it a day
Attached File(s)
Attached File  d.jpg ( 52.48K ) Number of downloads: 52
Attached File  e.jpg ( 45.54K ) Number of downloads: 44
Attached File  f.jpg ( 63.52K ) Number of downloads: 72

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 16 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Well it's been a week since I started & it's finally starting to look like I've actually not just been sitting on my arse doing NuTTings laugh.gif

As with any project like this prep work is very time consuming with quite a few TIME OUTS to sit back reflect & think, these TIME OUTS are pretty important in my books cause they allow you to work out best way on how to go about things which in turn minimise mistakes.

So far I've only made one error & it was an easy fix, all it took to rectify was to shave 6mm off the length of FRAME 3 after which everything lined up to precision.

What you guys have to remember is that the plans I got where for a 7.5 meter boat + the length of the pod, I've reduced the boats length down to 7.15 meters & had to redesign FRAMES 9 , 8 ,7 ,6 & 5 as well as redesigning the Transom plate.

By Doing this angles on those FRAMES Altered just as well as got my TAMMELS hey laugh.gif

What we now have is a 3 piece Jig which I can easily pull apart & reassemble when the times comes to move the project out in the back yard, thats when the welding starts.

Everything should line up spot on again all I have to do is set up my rotating Laser Level just as I did this time B4 bolting everything up, my biggest asset on this job is the JIG I made without it I would've gotten into alot of trouble not to mention prob wouldn't have picked up on the mistake I mentioned earlier, lets face 6 mm on something like this is bugger all but would've given me alot of grief down the track.

Pic g.. Really needed a wide angle lens to have gotten all this pic in, think the pic speaks for itself & you really need to be standind in front of the project to appreciate how big the boat will end up also remember this is the hull only it will grow another meter + once the side skins go on.

Pic h.. A shot from the bow I may as well mention I had to get a starting point so the top of the jig is my floor level if you's can understand what I mean by that

Pic i.. A shot from the transom, now you cant see it in the pic but there is a step up in the transom plate to accomidate my long shaft Yammy 4 bangers all engine bolt holes have been marked & drilled into transom plate, I did this cause I wanted to make sure I leave the holes clear & not weld stiffeners there & have to drill through them.

I can now box in those engine holes which down the track wont suck in the transom skin .

Also in this pic you can see where I've pre cut out the transom door, those who have the ability to visualise things will be able to see the layout & those who cant ?? well you'll just have to wait till it starts to take shape
Attached File(s)
Attached File  g.jpg ( 62.67K ) Number of downloads: 86
Attached File  h.jpg ( 69.45K ) Number of downloads: 56
Attached File  i.jpg ( 64.51K ) Number of downloads: 73

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 24 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #4

His Eminance

Mentioned in one of the other threads that I'd moved the project out back on the weekend

Very easy to do in the manner that I went about starting the project as I'd made the Jig in segments so it was just a matter of unbolting everything, moving the jig out back, rebolting it all up.

After which came the most important tool ??

My laser level, packed all the legs late saturday arvo just B4 dark, ideal time cause I could actually see the red laser light rotating all over the yard & didn't have to strain my eyes looking for it.

Next morning I set up the mig with the steel wire & welded extentions onto the jigs legs with whatever tubing I could find, that out of the way it was time to re-assemble the frames & weld in the stringers.

Pic j.. Those who've been out in my plate boat know where my live bait tank is, situated under the wet deck floor, well this time I used frames 7 & 8 as part of the new live bait tank, I welded in 2 sides but have left the bottom of the tank out for time being so as I can access the hull skin welding points.
I have however run a 50mm overflow pipe out to the transom which will also serve as a piveting point when the time comes to flip the boat over

Pic k.. Something that not to many if any of the boat builders do the slack bastars, this was the cause for the corrosion in my current boat No Bloody cut outs to allow water to run dry hence the salt water would get traped between stringers & frames till it evaporated & left salt buildup.

Pic l.. I used some MDF board I found out @ oz mans joint to template the hull skins, they arrive tommorro & should be all welded up by friday all I need to do now is to trace the full size templates onto the alloy & cut to shape.

Pic m.. just a pic of the bow I set up a stem template to give myself a spot on Centre line to mark out the hulls curve twas alot of fart arsing about taking off about 5 mm @ a time till I got a spot on curve on the template.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  j.jpg ( 62.71K ) Number of downloads: 42
Attached File  k.jpg ( 54.92K ) Number of downloads: 42
Attached File  l.jpg ( 66.04K ) Number of downloads: 52
Attached File  m.jpg ( 65.5K ) Number of downloads: 72

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 30 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

Suppose I better update thread

Well it's coming along nicely but I haven't taken any pics for a couple of days the one below was taken last Sunday & a shiteload of work has been done since then

You'll notice there's a bit of the nose missing in the pic !

Well standard size sheets 6.1 x 1.2 & I need 6.6 meter sheet to do the hull in one piece, after pricing 2 sheets to do the hull in one piece I got a rude shock cause I'd have to order 2 9 meter x 1.8 meter sheets & we're talking close to $ 4,000 for the 2 sheets.

Since I didn't need any more 5 mm plate there would,ve been alot of off-cuts so I opted to do a join & I must say you wont even know the joins are there, I added a extra frame where the joins are so as there'd be no fear of the welds cracking.

Since pic below I've made the keel which will get welded up 1st thing in the morn

Welded on the chimes & underside strakes etc

Have to admit I'm happy with the way it's taking shape & of course my measurements etc, so far the worst I've done was a 2mm gap which was an easy fill with the welder.

Side sheets should be arriving tommoro all the way from Western Aust 2 sheets cost me $3,700 but they're 9 meter x 1.8 meters & the off cut will be used in the making of the cabin etc

With a bit of luck should be flipping her over 180 degree's by the weekend, only thing that hampers me is the wind taking away the welding gas.

CATCH22 got me a big Canvass Tarp last Flyday which should've been ideal, but I could've killed him last weekend when I spread the tarp out to cover the boat.

The bloody tarp was around 20 meter long but get this !

The Bloody Thing was only around 1 meter wide

Not Happy Jan

Attached File(s)
Attached File  n.jpg ( 61.05K ) Number of downloads: 70

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 3 2008, 02:33 AM
Post #6

His Eminance

Well had a bitch of a day last wednesday, thought it was the wind that was making my welding look like pidgeon shit laugh.gif
Started wising up after I wasstuffing up tip after tip, thursday morning 1st thing it was off to get a new mig torch & boy what a difference that made, I've gone 2 days now with the same tip not to mention how clean the welds are.

Anyways all the welding under the hull has been done planing strakes , chimes keel etc & B4 I started gring back the pidgeon shit thought it a good idea to flip the boat so as everything below floor level was complete B4 the side skins got welded on.

It may be my 1st boat but I like to think ahead & as you see it in the pics gives me the perfect opertunity to mark out & cut the floor sheets & will be doing that next , may not be ready to weld them in for a while but hey it beats the hell out of trying to mark & cut once the sides are on.

Pic o.. 1st pic of project right side up & @ least now I can weld looking down not up, cause the project will go back on the jig I got a can of spray pait & marked where the legs of the jig are to go again as I cant use the laser level again to re-align.

For all you smart arse's No I'm not advertising V on my boat that V came about where I had to join the sheets & what the heck thought I'd weld in a Stripper pole laugh.gif

Pic p.. Just a pic from the rear & no that's not a poop hole in the transom laugh.gif

Pic q.. Birds Eye view from the fire stairs

Pic r.. Another shot from up high
Attached File(s)
Attached File  o.jpg ( 87.05K ) Number of downloads: 64
Attached File  p.jpg ( 86.27K ) Number of downloads: 52
Attached File  q.jpg ( 79.76K ) Number of downloads: 79
Attached File  r.jpg ( 64.36K ) Number of downloads: 52

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 12 2008, 03:14 AM
Post #7

His Eminance

Had to drag myself into doing an update these pics were taken last flyday.

Done a fair bit since then including the sides one of the skins is allready welded to the boat & finally I can see the shape coming together.

Not going to ramble on off to bed 4 me

Pic s.. Just the Transom bay B4 frames stiffeners etc got welded in, I opted to have the transducer going through the hull nence the whopping big hole, I've only allowed a 2mm gap allthe way around the tranny so as I dont have to order a cement truck when the time comes to seal

Pic t.. Pretty self explanortory I opted to cut the floor to shape prior to side skins going on this way I got to work muck easier & measurements get to be spot on.
Floor is by no means welded in yet it't just sitting there, since been removed else I coulded weld in sides

Pic u.. Again self explanatory pic
Attached File(s)
Attached File  u.jpg ( 66.02K ) Number of downloads: 56
Attached File  t.jpg ( 83.28K ) Number of downloads: 42
Attached File  s.jpg ( 75.08K ) Number of downloads: 61

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 18 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #8

His Eminance

I did pull out the camera today to take latest pics but the batteries had gone flat, these were taken last Flyday

Pic t.. Twas raining all day last tuesday & wednesday so couldn't fart arse about on the goat, ended up going to a mates workshop & made the fuel tanks, seat box's etc

Pic u.. just a pic with the sides on, gunnels etc have been done since this pic
Attached File(s)
Attached File  t.jpg ( 42.43K ) Number of downloads: 55
Attached File  u.jpg ( 54.27K ) Number of downloads: 73

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 26 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #9

His Eminance

Not a great deal has been done on the boat itself since last tuesday cause it was pisshing down rain wasn't it

So I had to look for indoor stuff to do

Pic v.. Alloy part of the seat box's has been completed

Pic w.. Enjoyed doing this wun cause it was easy & something I've been meaning to do to current boat since I went all bent but rods

Pic x.. Very time consuming, the floatation ! this is part of just for wun of the full bays

Pic y.. Self explanatory the fuel tanks, these have been fitted with anti Fed pee filters laugh.gif

Pic z.. View from up top

Pic a1.. Again self explanatory
Attached File(s)
Attached File  v.jpg ( 80.08K ) Number of downloads: 39
Attached File  w.jpg ( 91.59K ) Number of downloads: 42
Attached File  x.jpg ( 41.01K ) Number of downloads: 38
Attached File  y.jpg ( 78.54K ) Number of downloads: 44
Attached File  z.jpg ( 125.38K ) Number of downloads: 66
Attached File  a1.jpg ( 114.39K ) Number of downloads: 64

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 31 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #10

His Eminance

Not so much an update cause I lost a couple of days to rain this week.

There's been a couple of Q's tossed @ me & thought I'd answer them

Blind Freddy wrote
Dear Mr Jumpus GooDarus SIR oh allmighty GOD Legend etc etc laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wot are you grinding with ??

Well Freddy I'm not, or limiting the use of the grinder to very wittle usage, Alloy machines very nicely & where I want to clean up a weld for a smooth rounded finish like on the seat box's or the long welds gunnel wise on the boat itself I'm using a router, if it's a square corner I'm using the straight cutter with tracing bearing & I'm finding this is leaving me with around 1/2 of a mm of weld buildup, I then whisk the 5" grinder over this buildup to level it off but not with a grinding wheel just one of those Zerconian disks I mentioned last time.

Prob with grindings disks on Alloy is they clog up but when I do have to use one it's an AC36 disk same as I used to use on stainless.

See Pic a2.. for end result

Now in one of the updates I mentioned I was having probs with the torch & did some you beaut chicken shit welds since I got the new torch a couple of weeks ago I cant believe it but I still have not had to replace the tip whereas I was going through 10 a day prior to that.

Anyways I still have my old polishing machine from my old workshop hasn't been used for about 7 years since I retired & boy aren't I glad I never sold it.

Thiis machine has a 7 speed gearbox 12,000 RPM top speed & down to 650 RPM @ low speed which is what was required on stainless to get that N0 4 finish.

I'm cutting through the chicken shit with a tungstun burr & it's eating the alloy @ 5700 RPM to finish off the grind I'm runing a mop over the weld

See Pic a4..

Pic a3..

Both Bees & Blindman would be interested in this wun
I posted on SFF in regards to the crack I got in the H31 4mm plate when I folded it, unfortunately my mates press dosen't have radius dies, the crack only around 1 mm deep on the outer radius, still 3mm of clean fold internally so I comprimised & welded the support brackets for the tanks on each of the cracks & now she's RIP SNORTA mate laugh.gif

Pic a5.. Boat turned upside down, I'll prob etch & seal her on sunday after which I can then flip her over again, looking 4ward to that cause that's when I can weld in the floor & really start to finish her off
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a2.jpg ( 27.28K ) Number of downloads: 31
Attached File  a3.png ( 715.54K ) Number of downloads: 38
Attached File  a4.jpg ( 111.39K ) Number of downloads: 50
Attached File  a5.jpg ( 64.25K ) Number of downloads: 69

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 25 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

Geez lost quite a few updates in this thread

May do an update with just pics cause I can remember wot I waffled on aboat with my comentry laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 2 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #12

His Eminance

Was in the mood to dig up sum of the pics we lost

I'll leave the comentary on the pics themselves
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ff.jpg ( 76.43K ) Number of downloads: 29
Attached File  ee.jpg ( 70.87K ) Number of downloads: 25
Attached File  dd.jpg ( 90.7K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  cc.jpg ( 97.44K ) Number of downloads: 26
Attached File  bb.png ( 291.54K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  aa.jpg ( 93.72K ) Number of downloads: 34
Attached File  gg.jpg ( 68.36K ) Number of downloads: 22

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 2 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #13

His Eminance

Next lot of pics
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a1.jpg ( 111.04K ) Number of downloads: 29
Attached File  a2.jpg ( 78.51K ) Number of downloads: 24
Attached File  a3.jpg ( 111.16K ) Number of downloads: 27
Attached File  a4.jpg ( 93.24K ) Number of downloads: 30
Attached File  a5.jpg ( 67.56K ) Number of downloads: 34
Attached File  a6.jpg ( 101.14K ) Number of downloads: 25

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 3 2009, 03:30 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

Bit hard to recall the chain of events as they occurred pics may be a double post or not in sequence

But I'm doing the best I can tongue.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  b1.jpg ( 82.95K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  b2.jpg ( 60.09K ) Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  b3.jpg ( 67.33K ) Number of downloads: 16
Attached File  b4.jpg ( 56.36K ) Number of downloads: 15
Attached File  b5.jpg ( 114.58K ) Number of downloads: 27
Attached File  b6.jpg ( 56.18K ) Number of downloads: 24

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 3 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #15

His Eminance

Next lot of pics
Attached File(s)
Attached File  c1.jpg ( 79.65K ) Number of downloads: 19
Attached File  c2.jpg ( 79.04K ) Number of downloads: 19
Attached File  c3.jpg ( 65.26K ) Number of downloads: 25
Attached File  c4.jpg ( 104.75K ) Number of downloads: 24
Attached File  c5.jpg ( 81.87K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  c6.jpg ( 62.68K ) Number of downloads: 29

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 14 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #16

His Eminance

That nagging yellow man from Can Berry who dosen't own a boat laugh.gif

Reminded me about this thread

Shame all the posts were lost, not going to even bother trying to recall wot I had posted I'll just add the pics which I managed to recover from HHD
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ab.jpg ( 58.74K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  ac.jpg ( 56.73K ) Number of downloads: 20
Attached File  ad.jpg ( 75.53K ) Number of downloads: 22
Attached File  ae.jpg ( 71.81K ) Number of downloads: 28

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 14 2011, 04:06 AM
Post #17

His Eminance

A few more crayon drawings
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ba.jpg ( 82.21K ) Number of downloads: 24
Attached File  bb.jpg ( 88.41K ) Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  bc.jpg ( 77.82K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  bd.jpg ( 49.21K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  be.jpg ( 58.23K ) Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  bf.jpg ( 61.03K ) Number of downloads: 22

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 14 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #18

His Eminance

Just posting pics as they appear in folder
Not neccesarily in order of build
These are of the traler build

Oh yeah Frank dont ewe start up about where I mounted the lights again laugh.gif laugh.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  t1.jpg ( 89.42K ) Number of downloads: 30
Attached File  t2.jpg ( 44.45K ) Number of downloads: 25
Attached File  t3.jpg ( 89.81K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  t4.jpg ( 80.87K ) Number of downloads: 17
Attached File  t5.jpg ( 73.25K ) Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  t6.jpg ( 89.34K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  t7.jpg ( 78.04K ) Number of downloads: 54

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 16 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #19

His Eminance

Sum more crayon etchings
Attached File(s)
Attached File  b1.jpg ( 66.08K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  b2.jpg ( 48.71K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  b3.jpg ( 68.68K ) Number of downloads: 19
Attached File  b4.jpg ( 38.5K ) Number of downloads: 15
Attached File  b5.jpg ( 59.51K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  b6.jpg ( 64.14K ) Number of downloads: 16

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 16 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #20

His Eminance

Getting There
Attached File(s)
Attached File  c1.jpg ( 61.77K ) Number of downloads: 26
Attached File  c2.jpg ( 52.69K ) Number of downloads: 36
Attached File  c3.jpg ( 58.01K ) Number of downloads: 29
Attached File  c4.jpg ( 82.08K ) Number of downloads: 66
Attached File  c5.jpg ( 62.98K ) Number of downloads: 47
Attached File  c6.jpg ( 50.4K ) Number of downloads: 29

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:11 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates