> New Trailer
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 27 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #1

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well I've been contemplating it for a while now

Built the traler for my big boat 15 odd years back now made it out of Stainless Steel & it will last another 50 years.

Anyways 6 months ago I was going to sell my little Boat but then decided to keep it cause I started fishing SP's plus it lets me get into spots the big boat cant access.

At present trailer is a bit of a hassle as I like to drive my boats on & off so I've been tossing a few designs ariund in my head & believe I've come up with a good one.

Not a big lover of rollers & trailer currently has them & they will be going, new alloy rollers will support the keel & teflon Skids will be the rests & guides.

Ordered the materials today & should have it by Flyday prob have the trailer frame knocked up in a day esp now that I have set up tools & machines for Stainless Work have been doing the stainless hand rails & stairs on my little big project laugh.gif

Opted to use 60 mm x 40 mm x 3 mm tubing will post pics once I get started

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jun 27 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #2

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

stainless would make it a pricy trailer, but strenght and the fact that it will last forever makes it good..
It will outlast your boat!

keep the pics and story coming of your progress jumpy

+Quote Post
poly
post Jun 27 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #3

the yack man

Member No.: 4

J G how long is the little boat and could u give us a rough estimate of the cost of materials.
do u use marin grade stainless. dry.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 27 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #4

His Eminance

Only way to go Rum you have to remember I owned a Stainless manufacturing buisness & used to go through 5 ton + a month so to me it was cheaper to build trailer out of S/S than black steel then go get it galvanised.

Poly the little boat/trailer in Q is 4.8 meters I've been out of the trade years now & ordered materials through a mate who wouldn't have gotten the prices my Co did.

Mind you I did get a bit of a shock @ how much prices have soared in the last 6 years the Stainless to complete new trailer worked out @ $700 with 1/2 a length left over.

Can only get the tube in 304 grade next one down rfom 316 the marine grade makes no difference exempt the 316 had a higher nickel content either way I'll still paint the trailer.

It's not the S/S that rusts it's when you get contaminants settling on it that cause the stains.

The Big boat trailer was made out of 304 & no probs exept stains with it so I painted it

--------------------

+Quote Post
fish
post Jun 28 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #5

*Fingers*

Group:

Member No.: 10

What about a plastic trailer .

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Jun 28 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #6

*Telescopic Stick*

Group: Members

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (fish @ Jun 28 2007, 02:16 PM) *
What about a plastic trailer .

GET REAL ARE YOU KIDDING JUMPY TOLD ME HE THOUGHT OF IT BUT BECAUSE OF THE CARAZY WEATHER BEEN FORCAST FOR SUMMER IT MIGHT MELT WHLE HIS OUT TO SEE HUNTING HIS BIG HUGE ENMORMOUS BLUE MARLIN WE HEAR ABOUT ..........

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 2 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #7

His Eminance

Well the Stainless arrived today ordered it through a mate & he rang this arvo to let me know that I could pick it up & will do sop 2morro.
In the meantime think I lost the plot had another brain explosion thought while I was @ it I'd tidy up the boat I did a rough job when I got the Lecky a couple of months back & the bow rail had to be cut looks quite crappy.

Anyways around 3 pm I started stripping the boat motor off everything out floor up which was no mean feat cause I'd welded it in last time, reason for floor coming out was I want to make a 2nd under floor fuel tank & get rid of the spare plastic above floor one.

Since I've got a bit of welding to do the boat will be geting a new spray job as well.

Should have trailer started 2morro & it wont take me long to knock up so will post pick as soon as it takes shape have a bit of running around to do in the morn so pics may be a day or 2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 7 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #8

His Eminance

OK here's what the new trailer looks like nearly complete could've finished it off today but thought wise to rest the boat on it for one final check which stabilised the boat nicely as it was a case of Johny O'Keefe Rock'n Roll on the floor which would've made it a bit hard climbing in & out of boat to do the work on it so left the trailer & started on the GOAT.

You can just make out one of the Stainless axles standing upright on the back wall there's 2 of them

Boat & trailer side by side, Take note of the trailer down the guts this trailer does not have a single roller on it everything works on teflon skids it's all self aligning & the track down the guts guides the GOAT all the way up to the winch post in other words I'll be also driving this boat on/off trailer like on the big boat.

Like I said started work on the GOAT here's the centre consol the cutout is to accomidate electronics sounder,radio, stereo etc & will be completely dry, not done yet but another cutout will go into the top alongside again waterproof for stuff like wallets keys etc.

Tidied up the bow rail had done a butcher job back when I 1st fitted the lecky to bow, also made a new mounting plate for the lecky this one is 12 mm thick alloy & welded to the boat the other one used to flex cause it was bolted to the flimsy alloy on boat.

Also tidied up the front by adding a casting platform with the batteries to go underneath + the platform has given me a Sh*tload of storage space under for stuff like lif jackets & anything loose doors will be fitted as well.

Also managed to weld up the new fuel tank B4 calling it a day all it needs is a pressure test & I'll weld it in B4 closing the floor again

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 7 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #9

*FruitLoop* 53

looking good jumpy

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jul 7 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #10

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Hey Jumpus, I don't think you need to send the big boat to Whyalla, just hook this one on to the back of the Nissan it will be as good as a new boat and plenty big enough for down there.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 9 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

When I bought the hull SUMO I was intending to do a trip around oz with it then I got crook & the boat sat idle for around 3 years.

It's not a bad little goat but has limitations, after all it is a little tinny.

I dont like more than 2 on board like all little tinny's weigth transfer of people moving inside sways the boat unlike my bigger one stable as a rock that boat.

From what I've gathered so far you need to travel long distances in Sth Oz to get to the snapper grounds & I like the comfort of my big boat always stay dry & it has everything that opens & shuts on it.

But I haven't ruled out taking this one instead I'll see when the time comes.

Not one of my better days 2day didn't get a great deal done

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 9 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #12

*FruitLoop* 53

you dont need 2 boats jumpas.... how about i look after one for you! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 22 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #13

His Eminance

Chadd Chadd you cant cook baby potatoes in a boat laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well it's all finished I'm not as quick as I used to be but finally got there mind you been doing work on the boat as well hoping to have it on the water by the end of the week

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Jul 22 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #14

the yack man

Member No.: 4

strike me, all that effort and all u had to do was go down to the hardware store and pick up one of theses
Attached File(s)
Attached File  t1.jpg ( 22.53K ) Number of downloads: 19

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jul 22 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #15

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

A great looking trailer Jumpy, well done.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
hustler57
post Jul 22 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #16

*LaVistaBaby*

Member No.: 22

well done,

--------------------
............GLOBAL WARMING............

HIGHER SEA LEVELS

MORE FISHING SPOTS

BRING IT ON

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 23 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #17

His Eminance

The bit about it that I like the most

Note not a single roller unlike that blue thing that poly posted laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cant talk for the fibreglass boats but with the alloy boats teflon skids are definately the way to go just makes it so easy.

The old trailer used to give me headaches with the roller setup if there was wind anyone would get the impression I'd never trailered a boat B4 I think with this design which I think is original designed by yours truly it will be a snack getting the boat on & off.

Dont know if anyone noticed & more apparant in pic prior to painting there's a channel down the guts which locks the keel of the boat in & will hold it in a dead straight line all the way up not even a good cross breeze will throw the boat off centre.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jul 23 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #18

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Having that centre guide almost begs for you to design & install one of those automatic latch thingies to grab the boat when it's up on the trailer.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 23 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #19

His Eminance

I intend to just drive the boat up Fed only prob may be is the boat sliding back off as is the case on my big tub

Easy fix I just leave the motors in gear till shackle is on

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smelly
post Jul 23 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #20

*GasMask*

Member No.: 26

That's a nifty Trailer mate,
used to hate them breezes when trying to gt my mates 21ft fibreglass boat on the trailer in Muddie creek.Used to hav'ta tie a rope round back bollard or get in the water up to the waist depending on the wind mad.gif .

SMELLY

--------------------
catch ya
SMELLY

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:54 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates