If you wish to Help Oz man Pay for the site
> Ethanol Fuel
salty fil
post Jan 28 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #1

*Suretus Anus*

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,582

Below is an extraction from Fishing World Magazine re the change to ethanol fuel

COMMENT: Mandatory Ethanol Fuel a Bad Idea
27 Jan 2012
by Jim Harnwell

THE NSW Government is planning to force petrol companies to add ethanol to all “standard” or “regular” fuel sold at service stations by the middle of the year. This move is being touted as having environmental credentials but many pundits claim it is a ploy to prop up the ethanol industry.

Ethanol is basically alcohol derived from plants. It has a lower heating value than petrol – meaning you get fewer miles per litre – but is a renewable “biofuel” with fewer harmful emissions than the fossil fuels the global economy currently depends on. Most modern cars can run on fuel blended with 10 per cent ethanol, as can other modern internal combustion engines such as outboards.

The NSW Government wants all unleaded fuel to be blended with 6 per cent ethanol by July 1. NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell is coming under significant pressure about his decision to mandate ethanol fuel. It will be interesting to see if he and his Government buckle. The deadline for forcing the fuel companies to blend ethanol with their petrol has already been extended by a year and public outcry is becoming more vocal as people begin to understand what this ethanol issue will entail.

The big issue here for boat fishermen is that ethanol-blended fuel is utter crap. In fact, NSW Maritime – the government agency responsible for boating safety – says ethanol-blended fuel is not recommended for use in boats. This is because ethanol is “hygroscopic”, which means it attracts water. You don’t have to be Einstein to work out that this has obvious implications for boats. According to the NSW Maritime website, ethanol also adversely affects “carburettors, fibreglass fuel tanks, rubber fuel lines, fittings, seals and filtration systems, particularly in older engines, and non-standard engine installations”.

Premier O’Farrell has very generously given marinas special dispensation to continue selling “straight” fuel. You ever bought fuel from a marina? You need to take a mortgage out to get a couple of litres. And why would someone with a trailer boat go to a marina to buy fuel?
Mr O’Farrell has obviously spent a lot of time thinking about this ... Not!

So if you don’t want ethanol fuel buggering up your boat, and probably putting your family at risk while you’re out on the water, you can avoid the issue and by premium fuel, which the Government has decreed will not be tainted by ethanol.

You purchased premium fuel lately? As a bit of an experiment, I put 20.87 litres of Caltex Vortex 98 octane premium fuel in my 4.65m Sea Jay tinny yesterday morning. It cost $1.659 per litre, equalling $34.63. If I’d filled up the 65l tank it would have cost almost $110. This is for a small boat fitted with a 70hp engine. My Bar Crusher 670C has a 200l tank. Filling that up with premium would cost $330. I guess I won’t be fishing as much as I’d like once this stupid ethanol rule comes in …

Like just about all boat owners, I don’t need premium fuel to run my engines – they are designed to run on unleaded - but I will have no choice but to use premium under Mr O’Farrell’s plan. The fact is that ethanol fuel is just not safe in boats. You would be nuts to use ethanol-blended fuel in any boat, big or small. It just ain’t worth it. Unleaded fuel is cheaper than premium but I – and all you guys lucky enough to be living in NSW who like fishing out of boats – fundamentally have no choice but to fork out more of our hard-earned cash just to wet a line after July 1.

On top of all the other crap we have to deal with involving crazy Greens who want to ban fishing, more and more marine parks and a commercial sector that seems out to catch and kill every fish that swims, Premier O’Farrell’s ethanol tax on fishos is just another kick to our collective guts.

This decision is stupid and unnecessary. The petrol companies are up in arms about it, the 750,000 motorists in NSW whose cars won’t run on ethanol fuel or premium are wondering what they hell they’re going to do and boat owners are seething. This fuel tax will damage the already struggling boating and fishing industries. Things are tough enough as it is – we don’t need to pay even more for our fuel!
Rethink this ethanol issue, Mr Premier. You’re on the wrong track.

Jim Harnwell is the editor and publisher of Fishing World magazine.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
Fed
post Jan 30 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #21

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Just looking at he BP website they also sell BP Ultimate so forgetting the petrol sniffer OPAL they have 4 common fuels for sale.

E10, ULP 91, Premium PULP 95 and Ultimate PULP 98.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 30 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #22

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Dont forget the Fed peeing.gif fuel mix

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jan 30 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #23

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Thanks for reminding me to remind you Jumpy, have you emptied your water trap yet, did you get any water in it?
HaHaHaHa!

Hey Frank you want Govt bullshit?

What about the fuel levy, 3x3 3 cents for 3 years...
OOPS make that 5x5, 5 cents for 5 years...
OOPS make that 5xFOREVER, 5 cents forever

No wonder everyone hates their guts.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 03:10 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates