Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Baitcasters
Joey
post Oct 24 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Garfish

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,125

Looking at getting either a new diawa HRF or diawa advantage reel. Does anyone have any ideas which one is a better reel or other reels in the $250 to $280 price range in other brands.
Cheers guys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Reel
post Oct 24 2010, 04:01 AM
Post #2

*Narcho's*

Member No.: 2,557

Is that a baitcaster your after?
I couldnt find the specs on these models
So all i can say is dont be hung up on the price.
Some manufactures these days make a reel to suit a price range, doesnt always meen that it is beter because it costs more.
Things to consider are
Drag strength, number of bearings and retreve rates.
From here the decion becomes a little clearer.
What made you chose these 2 models?

--------------------
insanity takes it's toll, I make sure I have plenty of spare change

Catch ya L8ter

John

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 24 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Pretty sure our resident parrots.gif poly got wun of those & wasn't tu impressed with it

1st ting about baitcastors pay no attention to the name, these reels are for tossing lures about not bait

Velly small spools which means small line capacity.

Wunce you've mastered the reel they're alot more accurate than a threadline for tossing lures about.

Nothing special about the reel you're asking about all reels of that description have the features listed by daiwa most without the hefty price tag

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 24 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Garfish

Hey sir reel.
Its the daiwa saltist hard rock fish. The reason I looked at that is the fact its made for salt water supposeldy.
And the advantage has a few more BB's . other than that they are pretty much the same. I looked at them as they are more in the price range but if there are ones cheaper than that which you think might be as good Id be open to suggestions.
As far as drag settings go I find that most of them are 4 kg unless you get over the $300 dollar mark.
I have read good and bad reviews about the Abu revo series. And the good shinamos are a little to expensive for me.
Any suggetions from you guys to have a loo at.
Its for lure obviously and will be the only one I buy for a few years so want a fairly decent one.

Also Jumpus. I looked at the cheaper versions. like the caenan from shimnao which doesnt have a magnetic brake, the pro max from Abu and the strikeforce and megaforce from diawa. All had some shit reviews except for the caenan which i couldnt find any on. Im a little worries about if you buy crap, you buy twice theory so was looking at one a little more pricey

Cheers guys

This post has been edited by Joey: Oct 24 2010, 10:47 AM

+Quote Post
Sir Reel
post Oct 24 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #5

*Narcho's*

I have a saltist overhead real and is great for turning kingys around. I only use it for bottom bashing and trawling. It hasent let me down. A while back i bought a abu 7000 egg beater and it rusted out in no time, replaced after 3 months via the Abu rep which was prety good service but it did the same thing. The abu baitcasters are a lot better according to others but i wouldnt have one. Shamano have 10 year replacment waranty and ive seen a reel that was jigged up from the ocean floor and was replaced under waranty. I do find the shimano have a smother drag and with a lite wash down last for many years.

--------------------

Catch ya L8ter

John

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 24 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Garfish

So would you recommend something like a curado.

Are they Ok for saltwater use. Id like to use it for some surface lure and shallow divers.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 24 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #7

His Eminance

QUOTE (Sir Reel @ Oct 25 2010, 08:35 AM) *
I have a saltist overhead real and is great for turning kingys around. I only use it for bottom bashing and trawling.

Different reels alltogether Sir Reel

Also Jumpus. I looked at the cheaper versions. like the caenan from shimnao which doesnt have a magnetic brake,

I do have 1/2 doz or so baitcastors including a couple of Shimano Cronachs & they're nothing special definately not worth the price tag or the hype they get.

Depends on how much of a hurry ewe're in to get a baitcaster ??

I do also have a couple of these

http://www.viva.com.cn/fish-reel-ba-en.htm

Their were only 100 units released not sure if any are still about or all got sold but personally supped up the drags on each wun of them to america made carbon & they all pulled 5 kg of smooth drag & that's a shitload for a reel that size.

This model is know superceded new model is the crusis & have to admit it's very spoofy looking & will have a factory carbon drag system with all the features the shimano/daiwa have not that the BA model didn't have those features.

Pretty sure it will retail for around $150

Id like to use it for some surface lure and shallow divers

Define surface fush you're targeting ??

If pelagics line capacity on any baitcaster will be a prob

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Reel
post Oct 24 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #8

*Narcho's*

Those Viva look good Jumpus
Shame I cant cast for shit with LURE casters lol

--------------------

Catch ya L8ter

John

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 24 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #9

His Eminance

Reel in pic is not the newer spoofier model

Shame I cant cast for shit with LURE casters

Dosen't take long to get the hang of baitcasters esp if you're got some sense of co-ordination when casting

Personally I'm alot more accurate with a baitcaster than a threadline

Baitcasters allow ewe to thumb the spool thus controlling whe flight of the lure

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 24 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Garfish

Bream,tailor, etc are the fish is would like to target, not pelagics so much.

Cant find those new viva reels anywhere on the net to check out, Just their spinning reels.

How much is a drag upgrade for reels like that?

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 24 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #11

His Eminance

Cant find those new viva reels anywhere on the net to check out, Just their spinning reels

Didn't think ewe would viva started off with sum crappy gear initially & got the crappy reviews they deserved, not that the factory didn't have some really nice gear the crap was more or less ordered & that didn't do the brand any favours.

These days after the success of the LOX range of rods alot more thought is put into which reels are brought in, they are given out to the LOX ambassadors to try out B4 released.

New range are called CRUSIS & they should've been released this week but feed back saw new spools being ordered on the threadlines flutes machined into the spool [appearance only] would catch the line

How much is a drag upgrade for reels like that?

Zilch !

Comes standed with the reel, only 100 of the BA's went to Complete Angler Stores from memory original drags weren't up to scratch so 5 different grades of carbon was ordered in from the USA I made up a set of washers from each sheet then ran the drag through the scales till best grade was found after which all those 100 reels had it fitted got sick of working on those reels hysterical.gif

All the factory produced reels including the threadlines will have carbon drag systems

Prob find Complete Angler sold out of them not a surprise considering the price tag , thing there are a few left @ warehouse I'll have a look next time I'm out that way if your're genuinly interested.

If so I can get the reel sent out to a tackle store so ewe can looky @ it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 26 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #12

Garfish

whats the price tag mate.?

Im actually considering buying another threadline after some talk with a few mates. Like was said earlier you can do most thing with threadlines and the drags are alot better Not sure if I can justify $250 bucks on a baitcaster.

decisions decisions and not enough cash for all the gear I want!!!!!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 26 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #13

His Eminance

whats the price tag mate.?

Buggered if I know.
Goodarus guess around $140

Not been well last couple of days stuck indoors I did get a ling ling 2day though & did ask about the reel & hu's got them, they did go to complete anglers but no idea which stores.

Was also told the newer spoofier model will be here in a few weeks

Im actually considering buying another threadline after some talk with a few mates

Velly wise idea me tinks

Trust me ewe'll rarely use the baitcaster I haven't used any of mine for years only pull them out if going freshwater fushing & that's rare

A mate of mine just got a 4000 stella the other day & I had to have a laugh @ him esp @ the price tag cause when I looked @ it & compared it to my CI's price difference was 5 X's +

Both reels had carbon drag , worm drive etc etc

I do own Stella's but in the big size range where the specs are far superior to most other reels

On small reels you never need that sort overkill

If not in a hurry & can wait 3 weeks for new spools to arrive honestly have a look @ the new Crusis

http://www.viva.com.cn/fish-reel-ch-en.htm

Same reel different cosmetics to wun in link above I have been using them for a couple of years & cant fault them also bear in mind I fish a hell of alot more often than your average Joey Bloey hysterical.gif my gear cops a hammering

Sorta Metallic British racing Green in colour spool black/silver on the new crusis + a real nice feel to the handle tis cylindrical /hypolon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 26 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #14

Garfish

can olny find the styra range of low profiles but will wait and check out the new models.
I keen to try and learn a baitcaster but im losing interest in the $250 price tag for what i will use it for.
Would rathewr another nice spin reel i think.

Thanks for your advice Jumpus.

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 26 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #15

Garfish

a bit off topic jumpus but after some advice from your good self Ive been looking at more than just daiwa and shimano.
The verdict is still out for me on the Abu garcia range but have been looking at some tuff tackle options. Do you have any advice on what they are like. bare in mind that I have no idea whether brass is better than steel or grphite is better than aluminium and the list goes on and on and on!!!!. you hear so much crap from so many companies its hard to know what to believe until you actually use something for yourself and my budget doesnt allow rigourous testing of numerous reels. I like the idea they are aussie but when I look at their site they say all the models are superceded

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 26 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #16

His Eminance

ABU's were a great reel 30 odd years ago I still have a 52 & 54 sumwhere floating in the garage but not a fan of them since the Swiss sold the co & reels started getting made in Taiwon me tinks from memory.

Tuff Tackle ?

I do have the XTA DIABLO SNIPER 10000 & the 9000 & had I known of these reels ealier I WOULD NOT have wasted my $$$'s on the Stella's

Have pulled both Stella's & the Tuff Tackle reels apart & there Siera Foxtrot Alpha between them exept the price tag virtually double for the Shimano gear

I like the idea they are aussie but when I look at their site they say all the models are superceded

Reels are the same as originals like mine superceding just means cosmetics have changed just had a look @ new wuns only thing different is the colour

Yes they are sorta Aussie made body's etc do get made in china along with drag system & a few other parts, the gearing is made here in Aust & reels are also assembled sth of the border in Mexico a place called Melbourne

Was on the ph for sum time with Simon the guy who owns tuff tackle reels so got a good insight into them b4 he sent a couple up only the 10000 has stainless gears which i didn't really like the thought of till he told me they were case hardened stainless contrary to wot people think is really a pretty soft metal rest of the models have brass which is naturally a harder material & dosen't need hardening.

When I got my 2 reels they were the only 2 available but sure the full range is now available in other words the smaller models & I believe a baitrunner range

Botany Bay tackle is prob your best place to look @ these reels & get the best deal tell Ernie I sent ewe & he'll charge ewe double hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

you hear so much crap from so many companies

So True see if I cant clear a few tings up for ewe

The Term Graphite Body reel ????????????

Not a fan of them Graphite is just a fancy name for plastic even fishing say light line 3 kg ewe will feel the reel twist in your hand on a decent fishy these reels are generally cheaper than the Alloy Body reelswhich I much prefer.
They are a wee wee bit heavier but it's minimal & not wot sum try making it out 2b

Bottom line with reels they're all made on CNC machines only difference between brands when comparing specs = in specs is th the $$$ ewe lay out your Shimano's, Daiwa's are no better alot of the other reels on the market just good marketing lets them charge the bigger $$$'s

No different to wot berkly have done with SP's same plastic made in the exact same factory just in a different packet brand name sells for far fewer $$'s

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 26 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #17

Garfish

Thanks for all your info.
I was looking at the shimano bait runner actually so will definately have a squiz at the Tuff tackle ones as well as the spin range
cheers mate.
Wont et down to botany tackle shop just yet but will let you know if I do. I like the idea of being charged double!!!!!! the big brands have made a career out of it!!!!!

want to do a bit of reading first then will make the purchase. Im like to be sure Im making the right decision on buying new reels. Nothing worse than looking at stuff and thinking why the F#*k did I buy that.

+Quote Post
Fed
post Oct 26 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #18

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

I keen to try and learn a baitcaster

Nothing worse than looking at stuff and thinking why the F#*k did I buy that.

Why did I buy this birdsnest reel? Where's my old faithful eggbeater?

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Joey
post Oct 26 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #19

Garfish

Haha FED. point taken. Im still keen to learn to use one properly one day. Just think a spinning reel will give me less hassle for the money I have to spend on one. Plus now that ive seen these tuff tackle reels im keen to see the new models coming out soon.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 26 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #20

His Eminance

Wi dont ewe use your
birdsnest reel?
to cover that shiny head of yours

Bloody Hell ewe nearly blinded me 2day hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:03 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates