Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marlin Day Out, Last Flyday Saturday
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 13 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #1

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Started this report the other day thought I'd better finish it.

Friday early start well it was for me had to get out of bed @ 5 . 30 am laugh.gif

Putted across the bay whilst I punched all the co-ords I'd worked out the night b4 then it was MC hammers time, not flat seas so motors sat on 400 rpm all the way out to browns.

Lure spread went out & we were runing
2 transom lures
2 rigger lures
Shotgun & a bibless minnow just behind the motors in case YFT were about, also the old faithfull Witch Doctor sat in it's usual place may have to get a new one it's seen better days & has been smacked by a few marlins to boot.

4 miles east of browns the water still looked shitty with no temp hike so in came the lures & down went the MC Hammers again ran out east for another 13 NM's 1/2 a mile short of a nice big rise coming out from 2000 meters to 1700 meters.

Lure spread went out again & I worked that area which looked very lifeless & again no change in water temp allthough the water did seem alot blue'r, the bigger 3 + meter swell wide off Browns made it harder to troll running with the swell as it was picking the boat speed up & the lures weren't running true so I was limited to direction I could troll @.

Heatons Hill was another 6 odd NM's away & I chose a course to take us further east of it so as the direct southerly swell wouldn't hamper the lure action once about 5 NM's east of Heatons I cut back across back over the top of it did a few laps B4 proceeding further NW back to another rise I came across the night B4 1600 meters rising from 2000 meters.

By the time I'd gotten there the wind had come up a touch more & we were still a good 25 NM's from Browns water still looked lifeless & the arvo was getting old so in came the lures again & MC Hammers went down yet again.

A huge advantage I have over most of the trailer boats that get out wide is the boat itself & I will give a Big Rap to my Furuno GPS it's not a toy & with it's largish 10 " screen it allows me to get a pretty good look @ the area's around me, now when I zoomed back out there was a spot in the continental shelve that caught my eye & that's where I headed.

2 NM's short the boys put out the lures again & I should've checked, around an hour or so of light left my thoughts went to YFT if they were about really thought we had a good shot @ them if they were about.

Anyways peeps 500 meters from that compression that I'd signalled out a ratchet was heard right on sunset but we still had plenty of light to see what was causing the Ruckus , it was a sight to behold sitting on about 30 meters behind the boat was this massive big head, mouth opened up wide with a lure hanging in there somewhere.

Motors still in gear reving @ 2400rpm that's what the rachet noise was cause this Bloody Big Marlins aka Jumpus GooDarus wasn't moving he just sat there for a good 20 seconds in a dead Verticle position to the water unphased with what was going.

Now unknown to me because some bloody twit obscured my view of the rods I had no idea which rod the fish was on even worse this person copped an earfull from me after that & out on his boat the next day.

I have rules on board my boat & No 1 rule is to clear the deck once we get a strike, this person went straight for the rod that had the fishy on the other end of it & I could see Jack Sh*te.

Now Jack was indeed on board & as much as I would've loved to see him nail his 1st Marlin this fish was very big & not the fish to put him on the rod with esp with nightfall nearly upon us this fish if hooked properly would've been fought under Floodlights.

Turns out the rod that went off was one of my new 37 kg sticks & didn't I spit the dummy when the person in Q came up with the excuse that all he was doing was upping the drag, that's when I really lost it esp after leaving the wheel to go check what he had done.

Both the 37 kg outfits we were running in close [targeting the Blues] had their drags backed right off & were lucky to have been pulling 5 kg of drag & not the 13 kg that I'd set them to the day B4 in other words the levers hadn't been pushed right up & that would explain why the Marlin was able to just sit there in a verticle position cause there was NO PRESSURE on IT on PRESSURE for the hooks to penetrate in.

I'm very conservative with calling a fish's weight untill I get a real good look @ it originally I'd called it @ around 140 kg but after really thing about it 10 minutes later when I'd calmed down over the events that just happened I upp'd it's size & prob still being conservative @ around 200 kg.

Oh well we still had a 21 NM trip back home but the sea's & wind had abated by this time, no Marlins pics peeps so you'll have to settle for the Flippers which followed us about

Saturday

Late start early finish, perfect day on the water did some sleepies & had no idea where we'd trolled to couldn't be bothered getting up when the boys were calling a Bloody Big Tiger Shark heading for the boat.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post May 13 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #2

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

unfortunate mate, but would have been a good day to be on the water!

Next time hey... You must be enjoying turning the winches again!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 13 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

I only drive the boat Rumpus not really interested in turning the winch's when you're trolling it's supposed to be a team effort & that's why I got cranky

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post May 13 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #4

the yack man

Member No.: 4

what can be said other than thats fishin, j.g thanks for a top report, mate fish or no fish its a great read and just gos to show how much work is put into prep before u even hook the boat up smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 13 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #5

Kokino Vraka

Group: Members

Member No.: 220

It is another interesting report. It is so offen the case that most of what happens to us we love the feeling of spinning a yarn. And for those not aware I am not talking about knitting. That is another web site ok.

I guess you should have informed the person in question about the drag and that. But then again it happens.

+Quote Post
jack
post May 13 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #6

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (Christos @ May 13 2008, 07:42 PM) *
It is another interesting report. It is so offen the case that most of what happens to us we love the feeling of spinning a yarn. And for those not aware I am not talking about knitting. That is another web site ok.

You have way too much time at work to surf the web hysterical.gif

QUOTE (Christos @ May 13 2008, 07:42 PM) *
I guess you should have informed the person in question about the drag and that. But then again it happens.

It was brought to our attention that the drags were set beforehand, and we still mucked it up tongue.gif

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post May 13 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #7

*Bi Catch*

Member No.: 11

Soooo the guy f*cked up the hook up? Ah well. So do you keep the rod in it's holder until the deck's clear and then someone picks up the rod and fights the fish?

I'm confused as to what happened when the fish struck.

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post May 13 2008, 02:29 AM
Post #8

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

at least you tryed jg well done

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 13 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #9

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (jack @ May 13 2008, 08:21 PM) *
You have way too much time at work to surf the web

I am at home. Majed is working laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 13 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #10

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (jack @ May 13 2008, 08:21 PM) *
It was brought to our attention that the drags were set beforehand, and we still mucked it up

No names were mention but we do know it was not you. ^_^

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 13 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #11

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (catchnrelease @ May 13 2008, 08:29 PM) *
I'm confused as to what happened when the fish struck.

I reading that they did not get the hook up, because the drag was set too light.

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post May 13 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #12

*Bi Catch*

Member No.: 11

So did JG set the drag to 13kg and then someone lowered it to 5kg?

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 13 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #13

Kokino Vraka

My guess is that is what happened but we have to wait for Jumpus to come back with that answer.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 13 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

All my outfits are setup the day B4 drags checked on scales to their line class's

All you have to do is push the lever up to the point it cant go no more if you want more drag then you depress the button which never gets done & shouldn't have to be touched.

The only reel on the boat that I personally check on is the Fin Nor cause it's got a different setup.

Unfortunately it was Human error which may have deprived us of a good hookup, fish are to few & far between this time of the season to allow for mistakes.

On a brighter note Albacore were caught yesterday outside Browns with some very small YFT in amoungst them, a few of the boys I know went out 2day & I'll find out how they went when I see them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Majed
post May 13 2008, 03:46 AM
Post #15

*TheUnderTaker*

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Christos @ May 13 2008, 08:35 PM) *
I am at home. Majed is working laugh.gif

Yes i am working.....isn't it great being at work and surfing the net too...... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey Jumpus, do many get sea sick on these trips out wide?

--------------------
FISHING beats Working

+Quote Post
salty fil
post May 13 2008, 04:58 AM
Post #16

*Suretus Anus*

Member No.: 2,582

Good story JG, pity about the hook up.
I feel mainly for you Jack. It would have been a great experience for ya if you guys got him.

+Quote Post
jack
post May 13 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #17

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (salty fil @ May 13 2008, 10:58 PM) *
Good story JG, pity about the hook up.
I feel mainly for you Jack. It would have been a great experience for ya if you guys got him.

Had a good day out anyway, I like being on the water and saw heaps of dolphins. There is always next season, maybe I can hitch a ride again one day.

But yes would have been absolutely awesome to have caught one of these longnose tuna's

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post
alex
post May 13 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #18

Snapper

Member No.: 2,587

Well peep's i was on the boat with JG i seem 2 be a part of his regular crew which has been really awsome i do have to admit the old codgger has a hell of alot to teach...

Unfortunatly some people dont follow instructions but hey u cant help old dogs that cant be taught new tricks !!!!!

One thing that never fails to exite me is hearing the rachet screaming off i think jack might just mite have the game bug starting 2 bite !!!

--------------------
Of all marlin species the pacific blue is KING. Nothing runs as fast jumps as high or goes totally ballistic like a blue.

Its not that you find A BLUE - A BLUE finds you

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 13 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #19

His Eminance

Copped one of my wittle attacks last night so I'm not wheelly wit it @ present laugh.gif
Spewing literally cause I would've liked to have been on the water again cause once the Gamefush hits you you get hooked.

Anyways there are many ways you can fush for Game & when I'm up to it I may even do a story called the Jumpus Way & pin it I've learned from some of the best that ever Gamefished out of Sydney & have come up with quite a few of my own little tricks over the years.

Seems that when I do a Gamefishing report here they generate a fair bit of interest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xtosea
post May 13 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #20

*One Block*

Member No.: 40

JG, i m having accidents over your camera!!!!
The shots you get is awesome!!!!
Tuna are here
Kamil

--------------------
"Reel Men Smoke Tiagra's"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 08:18 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates