Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diy Kona Head Style Lures
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 15 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #1

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well the parrot was nagging me sometime back about these lures so if anyone finds this thread of interest you can thank poly tongue.gif parrots.gif

OK I wont finish this How to Do in one hit it's been a decade since last I made some & since my moulds are misplaced I've had to make some new ones so I'm going to start from scratch.

Now B4 you even think about getting started you need to set up a vacume chamber else the air bubbles in the silicon mould will remain & you'll end up with lures that look like a chokito.

Pic 1

This is my old vacume chamber made it years ago out of stainless you dont need it made out of stainless BUT very important that it be cylindrical else you'll collapse a say square one once the pump starts to vacume.

up high you'll need a conection point which the suction line from the motor can connect to.

The motor ??? just keep your eyes open for a dumped refrigirator

Pic 2

Well I've added the info in the pic

Only thing you need to be wary off is the length of the PVC allow approx 25 mm @ face off lure & around 60 mm @ end of lure, reason being once the pump starts to vacume the silicon moulding rubber will rize, it's a very thick solution & the air bubbles inside it will allow a shorter pvc length to overflow resulting in loss of silicon & a incomplete mould once you turn the pump off an hr or so later.

Also when measuring & pouring the silicon allow etra dont just cover the top of the lure cause once the air comes out you've lost volume & this will also result in a incomplete silicon mould, you can allays cut off the exess with a sharp knife

I'll explain all this a bit better in next pics once I've pulled the origal lures from the moulds

Pic 3

Well this is self explanortory, it's in regards to the gasket & lid for the vacume chamber, once you've got all your PVC mould holders inside start the motor & push down on lid this should be done as soon as you've finished the chamber as a test run way b4 you even think about starting on the lures just so as you can check that it's going to work.

You'll know if it works cause you'll have buckles chance of removing the lid until you turn the motor off & wait a minute or so for the chamber to lose it's vacume.

Pic 4

I prob Jumpus'd the gun on this one, I'll do some better pics & explanations with next update
I did manage to find a couple of my old moulds & this is what they look like
Also found some old inserts which came from one of the moulds , inserts even had paint on them & I'd glued eyes to one as well
I'll give more detail next post

Attached File  pic1.jpg ( 66.12K ) Number of downloads: 23
Attached File  pic2.jpg ( 72.8K ) Number of downloads: 24
Attached File  pic3.jpg ( 88.04K ) Number of downloads: 18
[atta
chment=925:pic4.jpg]
Attached File(s)
Attached File  pic4.jpg ( 94.15K ) Number of downloads: 26

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 31 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #2

His Eminance

Ok guys I'll do a post per pic from now on as I'm using attachment option

This pic more or less shows the inserts again
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a1.jpg ( 124.82K ) Number of downloads: 21

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 31 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

OK again the inserts this time preparing them with eyes Holographic paper etc
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a2.jpg ( 112.17K ) Number of downloads: 23

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 31 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #4

His Eminance

Haven't taken to many pics of the fished product yet but when I do you'll better understand why I've laid the lure moulds facing horizontally like in the pics below.

Now it's a bit hard to show with pics but each lure has a slant on it's face & B4 you push the insert into the mould you need to determine which is Up & which id Down.

You do this by getting a cylindrical object like a ball bearing & drop it into the mould whilst it's in a VERTICAL position, the ball bearing will roll then rest @ the lures top of the head.

Marking pens aren't any good & you'll need to cut a groove into the moulds opening up top, line up the bearing with the centre of the mould with a ruler & have the ruler running over the centre of the mould easy to locate by the hole which accomidated the brass tube.

You can use a marking pen to do this then cut your grooves about 1mm deep along those lines, next cut another mark which you'll know is up, that will be the end which the bearing is resting on.

Very important to do this cause that's how you'll be able to line up your insert into the mould, if not done correctly the insert will end up upside down or off centre.

Another thing with the insert push it down till it hits the moulds bottom then pull it back 5mm or so, if you dont then the lure will crack in the mould after resin has beem poured & sets.

Now the reasons the moulds are laid down is simple !

What I'm doing here is adding a coloured tint to the top of the lure & the top of the mould has to be facing downwards after a small amount of the tinted resin has been poured into the mould.

A second lighter coloured tint can also be added in the same way after the 1st lot of resin has cured or @ least started to GEL, thats how you get that 2 tone effect.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  a3.jpg ( 49.47K ) Number of downloads: 14
Attached File  a4.jpg ( 65.2K ) Number of downloads: 14

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 31 2008, 01:10 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

OK once you've got both the layers of tinted Clear Casting Resin set or the 2nd layer geling off so it isn't in liquid form any more you can now pour in the final lot of Clear Casting Resin which has no tint runing through it.

To do this you know need to stand the moulds upright & fill with the resin till it's level with the top of the mould once that's done esp this time of the year when it's much colder forget about removing the finished lure from the mould till the next day else you'll stuff it up.

You may also have to play around with the Catalist ratio mix as well when it's cold I had to use twice the recomend dose B4 I started geting the lures to pop out near perfect.

To extrude the lure from the mould I use my air compressor, clamp the the brass tube coming out from rear of lure into a vice then use the air compressor to balloon out the mould & it pops out.

These were the 1st decent ones to pop out took me a couple of goes to get the Catalist mix right

You's can know ask Q's in this thread if you wish to do so
Dont know how well I've explained things, only thing left now is to polish the lures & trim back the brass tubing

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post May 31 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #6

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

thank u very much for doing this thread j.g, i will need to read it a couple of times to get my head around it, thanks again. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 6 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #7

His Eminance

Got around to polishing up a few of them the other day

--------------------

+Quote Post
xtosea
post Jul 6 2008, 04:23 AM
Post #8

*One Block*

Group: Members

Member No.: 40

Brother is there anything you cant do?????????????????????????
They look so good! I would love to get into that!
I dont think much would compare to achieving the fish you do with the stuff you build for yourself, rods lures etc.
What a feeling!
Gold champion!
Kamil

--------------------
"Reel Men Smoke Tiagra's"

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jul 18 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #9

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (xtosea @ Jul 6 2008, 10:23 PM) *
Brother is there anything you cant do?????????????????????????
Kamil

He can't do the Mason's secret walk or the secret handshake, and he also can't do the Lederhosen Polka. I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff he can't do, but I don't want to demoralise him too much in one post.

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jul 18 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #10

I saw the results and they look great. I can't really understand how they are done from start to finish, so a suggestion is that maybe we can organise for Cecil B De Weiss to come over and do a video of the whole process, with dialogue and step by step procedure. What ya reckon, JG?

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Jul 19 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #11

Jewfish

Member No.: 2,564

they look fantastic Jumpus! A man of many talents!

--------------------
A Pirate by name, A Pirate by nature!

I support FILLET and RELEASE!

Botany Bay PB's; nil to date
Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jul 19 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #12

Seriously JG. Can we maybe organise a time where we can video it from start to finish?

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jul 19 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #13

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

Boy I think that we already have enought Jumpus pasted on the web and now you want to put him in a Video. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 20 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

QUOTE (kkw @ Jul 20 2008, 04:07 PM) *
Seriously JG. Can we maybe organise a time where we can video it from start to finish?

kk I dont do NUDE TV laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Jul 20 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #15

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 20 2008, 06:49 PM) *
kk I dont do NUDE TV laugh.gif laugh.gif

WTF hhahahaaahaaa

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jul 20 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #16

Cecil B DeMille did Ben Hur, I will do Jumpus Her. Hang on!!!! That might be x rated. Jumpus does latex. Oh oh, another bad choice. Jumpus dribbles it into latex. Awwww heck!!! I give up.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 17 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #17

His Eminance

Got in the mood again to knock up some more heads, as well as just making the heads that have served me so well over the years I also machined up a few new designs which I'm looking forward to running this coming season.

A couple of the new moulds are still drying with the master head inside them but I'd made a few new moulds a few days ago here they are in the 1st pic

a] well this design is similar to my favourite LNG head just alot bigger body to allow me run big skirts

b] very similar to one of the williamson lures

c] Send up of the 501 head

OK you've prob seen most of these style heads this time I'll put names to them & moreso to show how you can play around with the inserts to give the lure a different appearance.

1] This is one of my designs have caught marlin on this head as the pic shows placement of eyes is different in both lures

2] Well this is another of the regulars I run The Tube

3] Have 2B my favourite & accounted for more fish than I can remember LNG

4] Marlin Parker

5 & 6] Big Dog

7 & 8] Baby Plunger

9] You'd have 2B a fool if you didn't run this head in your pattern in famous Apollo Head

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 17 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #18

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

lookin good J.G. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:12 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates