If you wish to Help Oz man Pay for the site
> Braid Vs Mono
Spudly
post Jul 2 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #1

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

What are your thoughts on the braid vs mono topic?

Currently im using braid on my light rods, for lures and for bait, however when i get some deticated plastic/lure and bait rods
i will use mono on my bait rods which will also double for light trolling and braid on my lure/plastic rods.

On My heavier gear I am using mono trolling and livebaiting, however i am considering putting 30lb braid on one that i can use
for jigging, livebaiting and casting poppers etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
catchnrelease
post Jul 2 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #2

*Bi Catch*

Group: Members

Member No.: 11

Braid for everything except heavy trolling applications and rock fishing. ;)

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 2 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #3

*FruitLoop* 53

if useing a running sinker with a swivel above the hook how does the sinker affect the braid as it runs on it,

I have been attacking a meter or so of mono above the swivel, also help keep the braid clear of the structure on bottom? is this nessacary or just complicating things

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jul 2 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #4

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Everyone went crazy over braid, but can you justify the expense for general use, It has no stretch so is therefore no use for trolling, it is abrasive and does do damage to rods and guides, it is too expensive for bottom bouncing as regards to snagging although the no stretch properties are an asset, I like many other fishermen went all out using Braid but have slowly rerigged most of my rods with good quality Mono which is now widely available in Low Memory, Low Stretch, and Low Diameter, It is available in many top Brands With many varieties and colours,
there is much World Development still being done with Mono, and World class IGFA grade line is being Produced in USA,Germany, Italy, England,Holland Sweden,and Australia, plus countries I have failed to Mention. This development and testing that is being done in all of these countries, just goes to to show that the trend is reverting back to Chemically Produced Products, which have many qualities without going to rediculous expense.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 3 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #5

*FruitLoop* 53

Well put sumo. That puts alot into perspective doesnt it..

I think its main advantage would be for feel with plastics and lures, but as you did, i went out and bought a bulk package of fireline, at a good price and i am thinking of taking it off a few reels.

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jul 3 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #6

*Bi Catch*

QUOTE (Rum Dust N Ruckus @ Jul 3 2007, 04:04 PM) *
if useing a running sinker with a swivel above the hook how does the sinker affect the braid as it runs on it,

I have been attacking a meter or so of mono above the swivel, also help keep the braid clear of the structure on bottom? is this nessacary or just complicating things

If sinkers run over braid...don't expect the braid to last too long. I use a stopped running rig. It goes mainline-swivel-30cm of line with sinker-swivel-leader-hook. Works for me.

B) B) B)

This post has been edited by catchnrelease: Jul 3 2007, 01:00 AM

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jul 3 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #7

*Bi Catch*

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Jul 3 2007, 04:16 PM) *
Everyone went crazy over braid, but can you justify the expense for general use, It has no stretch so is therefore no use for trolling, it is abrasive and does do damage to rods and guides, it is too expensive for bottom bouncing as regards to snagging although the no stretch properties are an asset, I like many other fishermen went all out using Braid but have slowly rerigged most of my rods with good quality Mono which is now widely available in Low Memory, Low Stretch, and Low Diameter, It is available in many top Brands With many varieties and colours,
there is much World Development still being done with Mono, and World class IGFA grade line is being Produced in USA,Germany, Italy, England,Holland Sweden,and Australia, plus countries I have failed to Mention. This development and testing that is being done in all of these countries, just goes to to show that the trend is reverting back to Chemically Produced Products, which have many qualities without going to rediculous expense.

Good point, but I still use braid because:

A- I use lures a lot.
B- If using bait, I can feel every little nibble.
C- The thin diameters means more line and further casting.

True it has its downsides, but i still like braid over mono.

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 3 2007, 02:57 AM
Post #8

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Use braid on my spin outfits only & wouldn't give it to a Jap on ANZAC to use on a bait outfit thats how crap a bait line I think Braid is.

Have to agree withy SUMO as well & if you ask me the only reason braid is so popular these days is merely because of marketing esp with the amount of fishing shows on the idiot box these days.

No offence to those TV hosts but they're earning a living selling you what they want you to buy & if they say braid is the in thing then peeps echo the same thing.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
fish
post Jul 3 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #9

*Fingers*

Group:

Member No.: 10

BRAID4 ALL APPLICATIONS IMAO ... AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT. :o

+Quote Post
STEVE.P
post Jul 3 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #10

*BloodyBumShitBugger*

Member No.: 6

What Fish said biggrin.gif

--------------------
Goony Googoo

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 3 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #11

*FruitLoop* 53

well theres a few from all ends hey

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jul 3 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #12

*Bi Catch*

QUOTE (fish @ Jul 4 2007, 10:45 AM) *
BRAID4 ALL APPLICATIONS IMAO ... AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT. :o

Even trolling? :huh:

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jul 3 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #13

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Yes you have heard from all sides Chad, BUT how much research have they done, and how much trolling do they do, and how many Snapper have they lost in the rocks, and how much money have they wasted unnecessarily, and how many CUSTOMERS have they had to Please explain too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 3 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #14

*FruitLoop* 53

yea, i got a heaps of fireline cheap and put it on all my reels and now im taking it off some of them..

makes a good discussion though!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 5 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #15

His Eminance

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Jul 4 2007, 05:32 PM) *
Yes you have heard from all sides Chad, BUT how much research have they done, and how much trolling do they do, and how many Snapper have they lost in the rocks, and how much money have they wasted unnecessarily, and how many CUSTOMERS have they had to Please explain too.

Geez SUMO this is the 2nd time I've had to agee with you in this thread & well said ??? tongue.gif

Money is not the issue with me when it comes to line I've always & still do buy Pre Test even though I dont fish comp or the rules anymore old habits are hard to break I guess.

Getting back to the arguement let me point out that none or very few game boats use Braid for the Simple reason it dosen't break @ the kg it is sold @ or supposed to it breaks well over depriving the angler of making a claim for a point score or record fish.

Now if your one of those anglers who dosn't give a hoot about records etc like me nowadays then by all means go use Braid BUT dont go around claming you caught a bla bla bla kg fish on say 10 kg braid when the stuff is breaking @ 20 kg.

I still rate a capture size of fish to line class again old habit not only that it lets me know what sort of fisherman you are there's a big difference when I comment to someone Nice Fish or Good Capture

Again this goes back to my fishing the rules days, for years I wouldn't climb down from the flybridge when I had my big boat to pick up a rod simply because we were fishing 37 kg tackle & as far as I was concerned all the guy on the rod was ?

A Bloody Winch Handle laugh.gif laugh.gif

Think that's answered my thoughts on Braid as far as a trolling line goes now lets get to it's faults as a bait line.

It's a bastard as far as tangles go mono will not tangle anywhere near as bad as braid & being a finer dia line it's a bugger to untangle.

Most of my bait fishing is floating baits & I've found that the braid sink alot faster & on the shallow reefs I was always getting snagged not good when your bait is supposed to be of the bottom not to mention the amount of line you keep losing with the braid due to the snags.

Again being a finer dia line a nick in the braid is more dire than on mono

--------------------

+Quote Post
fish
post Jul 5 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #16

*Fingers*

Group:

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 5 2007, 10:40 PM) *
Geez SUMO this is the 2nd time I've had to agee with you in this thread & well said ??? tongue.gif

Money is not the issue with me when it comes to line I've always & still do buy Pre Test even though I dont fish comp or the rules anymore old habits are hard to break I guess.

Getting back to the arguement let me point out that none or very few game boats use Braid for the Simple reason it dosen't break @ the kg it is sold @ or supposed to it breaks well over depriving the angler of making a claim for a point score or record fish.

Now if your one of those anglers who dosn't give a hoot about records etc like me nowadays then by all means go use Braid BUT dont go around claming you caught a bla bla bla kg fish on say 10 kg braid when the stuff is breaking @ 20 kg.

I still rate a capture size of fish to line class again old habit not only that it lets me know what sort of fisherman you are there's a big difference when I comment to someone Nice Fish or Good Capture

Again this goes back to my fishing the rules days, for years I wouldn't climb down from the flybridge when I had my big boat to pick up a rod simply because we were fishing 37 kg tackle & as far as I was concerned all the guy on the rod was ?

A Bloody Winch Handle laugh.gif laugh.gif

Think that's answered my thoughts on Braid as far as a trolling line goes now lets get to it's faults as a bait line.

It's a bastard as far as tangles go mono will not tangle anywhere near as bad as braid & being a finer dia line it's a bugger to untangle.

Most of my bait fishing is floating baits & I've found that the braid sink alot faster & on the shallow reefs I was always getting snagged not good when your bait is supposed to be of the bottom not to mention the amount of line you keep losing with the braid due to the snags.

Again being a finer dia line a nick in the braid is more dire than on mono

+Quote Post
STEVE.P
post Jul 5 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #17

*BloodyBumShitBugger*

Member No.: 6

I just wana catch a fish

--------------------
Goony Googoo

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jul 5 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #18

*Bi Catch*

Ditto.

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 6 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #19

His Eminance

fish you want to play silly buggers ??
Well no one plays that game better than me & I reckon you're talking out of your :drop the daks: & it looks like that STEVE & catchnrelease fell out of there cause they seem to be echoing the same Sh*t Sierra Foxtrot Alpha.

Between the 3 of you not one decent arguement for braid has been put forward but hey if you insist on catching fish on rope why stop there ??

Why not spool up with 49 strand wire & make sure no fish busts you off hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jul 6 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #20

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Whalers use BRAID attached to their Harpoon, coiled on the deck and connected to the Harpoon Gun it works well for stopping WHALES, NO STRETCH.

This post has been edited by SUMOFISHIN: Jul 6 2007, 03:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 04:10 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates