Reply to this topicStart new topic
> B, B, B Boat
nimrod
post Sep 28 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Is anyone interested in me putting up some photos of how I turned a bare hull into a Bass, Bream, Barra boat ?.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fed
post Sep 28 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #2

*Mr Shiny Head*

Group: Members

Member No.: 7

Go for it mate, pictures are always good.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 28 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

bare hull

Wot you on about Frank

I put a photo of ewe in the nutty some time back disappearing into a cave laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 29 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #4

Marlin

Think you gotta get faster camera ,, I was gone befor the shutter clicked....

Well my computer is as slow as a wet week, something bothering it and can't work out what to do to speed it up.

Anyhow here we go.

Boat as I bought it, completely bare.

Attached File  bass_boat_bare_hull.jpg ( 26.4K ) Number of downloads: 11
First thing was to make and weld some ribs into the sides.
I got some old alloy roof racks that i had laying around and made the ribs from these
Attached File  bass_boat_side_ribs.jpg ( 21.73K ) Number of downloads: 15
Next came the floor bracing, first the centre floor followed by rear and front floor Attached File  bass_boat_centre_floor_bracing.jpg ( 235.09K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  bass_boat_front_deck_structure_2.jpg ( 220.57K ) Number of downloads: 13
I tacked it all together inside the boat, then dragged it out onto the concrete and welded it all up. Attached File  bass_boat_front_frame_for_welding.jpg ( 294.79K ) Number of downloads: 10

I might add that this as with most of my projects are materials that I have laying around the place,, I don't buy fancy new stuff to work with,,, wish i could it would make life so much easier. You will see different sorts of materials used throughout the project and this is the reason.
I work on less then a shoe string budget.

This post has been edited by nimrod: Sep 29 2011, 12:44 AM

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 29 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #5

Marlin

Once the structure was all worked out and fastened in ( I will add that all flooring and structure can be removed at any time with no damage done to boat ) it was time to add some flat stuff.
My step son was working in a cabinet making factory at the time so I got some treated board from them less then 1/2 the price of fabricating panel, let alone marine ply,,, couple years so far and still not walping or splitting,,,, I will also add that this floor is a tempory fill in till I properly figure out exactly where I want everything. Attached File  bass_boat_centre_flooring.jpg ( 217.33K ) Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  bass_boat_flooring_vevel_with_water.jpg ( 216.18K ) Number of downloads: 11

once the floor was in it was time to see where I was going to control the boat from and make a console Attached File  bass_boat_console.jpg ( 221.88K ) Number of downloads: 15

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 29 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #6

Marlin

After fitting the steering and working out the seating arrangements it was time to throw some cheap carpet in. I got some stuff from Bunnings and all I can say is I'm glad this is only a tempory fit out, cause the carpet is absolute crap,,,, you would thing that a bloke that was a carpet layer and shop propriator for over 20 years could pick a shitty carpet ,,, but I have to confess I got stung,,,, never buy this shit again. Attached File  bass_boat_carpeted.jpg ( 241.34K ) Number of downloads: 16

Time to get the jig saw out and make a few holes to store some stuff, I sort of worked out roughly where I wanted a few hatches to go before I made the re enforcement for the floor so it was just a matter of marking it all out and cutting,,,, Attached File  bass_boat_tempory_hatches.jpg ( 193.7K ) Number of downloads: 14

By this time I had also made up a smalish rod holder to fit on the console and painted it, and added nav lights.
Time to fit the electric,, made up a suitable bracket and welded it on.
You might notice that all the obstructions console, controls, electric motor are all on the one site of the boat,, I done this on purpose as I wanted the PORT side of the boat free of any obsticles to make that side the jaffing/netting site, so far it's worked a treat.

Attached File  bass_boat_leckie_base_made_and_fitted.jpg ( 210.58K ) Number of downloads: 13

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 29 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #7

Marlin

Just fit some seats and there you have the basic boat,,, I got the old seat pedistals from the Savage lancer ( I don't have any seats in that as it's a proper fishing boat and it's stand up or sit on the floor, ) and cut them down to size, welded up some inserts for shop bought seats,, probably the most expensive items to date other then electric and battery,,, bloody nearly $100 bucks a pop, but thought I would blow my budget a bit and have some comfort,,, yet to take a photo of this boat as it sits now, with 2 x springfield seats and a front bum seat for the leckie.

The base on the right is on the seat on left and there are 2 off.
Attached File  bass_boat_make_do_seats.jpg ( 231K ) Number of downloads: 13

When I can score some suitable alloy ( or pinch a school seat ) I will make wide gunwails and have a rod locker under it right down the port side, eventually have built in esky cut into rear twart which is part of my rear cast deck at the moment but never use it, so might as well have an eski there.
A bit later down the track when I get some dollars together i will build myself another alloy trailer for it.
The one it's on now is converted from my lancer trailer and a bit on the large size.
I also have down rigger hanging off the arse of the boat now,,, must clean it up and take some more photos,,,, One day

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Sep 29 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #8

His Eminance

Where's all the nutty pics Frank ??

Couldn't ewe get your flash to work laugh.gif laugh.gif

ps] got suckered into doing a new alloy floor for one of chris's customers was going to kill cholios better get down there & finish it off

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 29 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Marlin

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Sep 30 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Where's all the nutty pics Frank ??
Couldn't ewe get your flash to work laugh.gif laugh.gif

ps] got suckered into doing a new alloy floor for one of chris's customers was going to kill cholios better get down there & finish it off

That's how we first met on that other site tongue.gif

I have since deleted the nutty pics. thought that might be why my puta running so slow, cause of all the pics on it, but not the case.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
poly
post Sep 30 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #10

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

thanks for the read frank the boat looks good, as for the carpet Clark Rubber sell a fair quoit brand, its well worth a look

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Fed
post Sep 30 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #11

*Mr Shiny Head*

Try starting in safe mode + networking Frank, is it still slow then?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Sep 30 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #12

*Mr Shiny Head*

BTW have you tried the boat out yet Frank, curious about stability with the extra weight up high.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Sep 30 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #13

Marlin

QUOTE (Fed @ Oct 1 2011, 08:56 AM) *
BTW have you tried the boat out yet Frank, curious about stability with the extra weight up high.

Fed. Been using the boat for a couple of years now and the stability is great, can walk around the decks without too much movement, with just 2 in it and normal sized guys, it is the best bass boat I have fished out of, with the guys I usually have with me,,, old overweight geriactrics with mobility issues, it is always their prefered boat to fish out of.
and being so low profile it's a lot easier to get in and out of for the old cripples.
It's 4.9 metres 16' so don't need to wear life jackets that hinder your movements.
It is a fairly heavy boat for a bass boat, but you have to compromise somewhere, I had a 40hp tohatsu on it and it flew,, now have 30 hp mercury and still gets along good enough for my needs.
Many of my mates describe it as the poor mans skeeta.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Fed
post Sep 30 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #14

*Mr Shiny Head*

Smart man's skeeter if you ask me, I've seen those bass boats with 150s on them what a lot of bullshit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 1 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #15

His Eminance

Reckon you should get wun Fed

Since ewe keep telling us how smart ewe are

Yo Frank when ewe gunna start on Fed's new goat ???

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 02:41 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates