> Trip To Tassie
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 23 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #1

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Fishin With SUMO The Tassie Trip

Well I’m off again for another Aussie Adventure, its Wednesday 12th January, First stop Canberra to catch up with Marty, a mate from Fang ACT forum. I spent 3 days with Marty and the weather was wet and windy, so we didn’t get a chance to wet a line, we went for a drive to Queenbeyan to meet up with Poly Paul whom I hadn’t seen for a while, Paul was home suffering with Gout, so he couldn’t even go to work, anyhow we said our hello and goodbye to Paul and headed for the nearest Pub to have a counter lunch, enjoying Lunch we headed back to Marty’s to see what the weather had in store.
Saturday and the weather didn’t clear so at 1.00pm I headed off to Cooma hoping to spend the night at Bombala in the Mountains. Well the drive was fine and cool with not much traffic, reaching Bombala within a couple of hours or so I kept going to Cann River in Victoria spending the evening at a roadside rest area.
Next Morning it was up with the birds and off to Lakes Entrance a lovely spot where I intended to spend a few days, but alas the town was brimming with Tourists for the school holidays.
After replenishing supplies at the supermarket and again filling with fuel I decided to keep traveling, I hit the road and kept driving until I reached Inverloch at the bottom of Australia looking out over the Bass Strait. After stopping at the beach and having dinner, I kept traveling and had a drive around Phillip Island then I spent the night at Koo Wee Rup Roadside Lookout.
More to come
SUMO

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jan 23 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #2

*Mr Shiny Head*

Group: Members

Member No.: 7

Get clicking with your camera Sumo, looking forward to some good stories from you.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 23 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

SUMO ewe're a wally & I'm still Fed peeing.gif myself laughing

Tell evlly bloody how ewe haggled over wun $ with that woman laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 26 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #4

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Fishin with SUMO The Tassie Trip part2

Up and off again, I took the leisurely drive through the country roads to Druin for a fuel refill then off to Bena to visit friends Murray and Benni Hoy where I spent a lovely day and a wonderful night in the Guest room on their Farm. Next day at midday I hit the road again heading for the Mornington Peninsular at Stony Point on Western Port Bay, Here I booked into the Caravan Park adjacent to the Boat Ramps, Well with a bit of clever tact I waited at the boat ramps for a solo fisherman to launch his boat, It didn’t take long and along came a local with a 22ft Mako, I helped him launch and was promptly invited to join him for a trip to the Whiting grounds, Fishing was slow but we managed a nice King George every 10 or so minutes, We stayed out until midday after catching about ten Whiting, fifty toads and a Massive great Banjo Shark, Chris Mudge is his name and I was grateful for the outing,
I drove his boat up onto the trailer making for light work and Chris invited me for another trip the next day. The next days fishing was slow with the wind blowing strong, we tried all around the bay and came home a few hours later with only a few Flathead in the boat.
Keep watching this space.
SUMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 26 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #5

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Fishin with SUMO Tassie Trip part 3

The winds were getting stronger at Stony Point and I still had a couple of days to kill. What do you do in a Seaside Village when the winds blowing? well to answer that Question I spent a couple of hours at the boat ramp watching as eager fishermen launched their boats, some of them were brave and set off fishing, some were back in no time at all and some just did a U turn at the boat ramp and didn’t bother to launch (the smart ones). I spent most of that day at the Camp Kitchen in the Van Park.
Then at four O’clock I walked out to the local Ferry Pier and bought a ticket for a ferry ride, the ferry does a round trip from Stony Point, straight across the bay to Phillip Island, well that was a bit rough and blowy on the top deck heading straight into the prevailing wind, then we left for French Island which is on the way back, with the wind at our back the journey was better, we left French Island and traveled cross wind to Stony Point the complete trip taking us an hour and a half.
Next day was still windy so decided to take a ride on the rail motor, being that Stony Point is the end of the rail line on that part of the Peninsular I couldn’t get lost and didn’t. The next morning I left for Port Melbourne, after arriving an hour later I did some shopping and caught the Trams for a trip in and around Melbourne, then spending the night camped adjacent to the Port Melbourne Beachfront ready to board the Spirit of Tasmania at 6.00am.

Watch for part 4 the next phase of the trip.
SUMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 26 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #6

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Fishin with SUMO Tassie Trip part4

Well the trip to Tassie was a bit slow like catching a train to Sydney, with nothing to view but the ocean, plenty of bars and restaurants on board with onboard entertainment and even a pokie room, with not much of it appealing to me so I caught up on a bit of well needed sleep.
After leaving the Ferry in Devonport I drove to Latrobe where I spent the night in the free camping area behind the town supermarket.
Next morning I went for a drive around town then called in to meet Pirate Pete and Family, about lunch time I left them and went to check out the local van park, I only wanted a site! Not shares in the place. I left Latrobe for the trip south spending the night at St Peter’s pass, up and off again next day to Maydena where I spent the morning with Tyenna Dave chatting about his catches of 10 to 12lb Trout that he catches locally, leaving I took the drive to the Gordon River Dam at the end of the road into the big timber wilderness, I called in and said goodbye to Dave who was about to embark on a Tassie fishing comp. I traveled back to Bushy Park to call in to a privately owned rest site.

Back with more in part 5
SUMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 28 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #7

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Well I've Travelled to Hobart and the East Coast, it appears that the only fish they catch on the coast of Tasmania is Flathead, I could have caught them at home under the Manilla Bridge, well petrol is cheap in Tassie, I've just gotta watch I don't drive over the edge, the place isn't very big, well I hope the West Coast has more to offer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Jan 28 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Jan 29 2011, 01:39 PM) *
Well I've Travelled to Hobart and the East Coast, it appears that the only fish they catch on the coast of Tasmania is Flathead, I could have caught them at home under the Manilla Bridge, well petrol is cheap in Tassie, I've just gotta watch I don't drive over the edge, the place isn't very big, well I hope the West Coast has more to offer.

You'll get blown off your feet on the west coast,, you got fly gear with you ?.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 3 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #9

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Fishin with SUMO Tassie trip part 5

Leaving the inland wilderness behind me I traveled to Hobart where I spent the day exploring the city and it’s surrounds, I caught up with a friend that I had known for many years and we had an enjoyable evening.
Next morning I headed for the East Coast planning on doing some fishing, as I traveled Northward and met fellow fishermen I realized that without a boat I wasn’t going to be catching many fish, most of the estuary’s only produce small to medium flathead, and I’m sure I can catch bigger ones under the Manilla Bridge.
My trip was slowly turning into a tour of Tasmania so I decided to make the most of it and travel to every corner of the Island, I traveled the North Coast to George Town and headed South again through Launceston rounding the bottom of the Great Lake which is high in the Mountains, continuing West I traveled on to Queenstown, what an eerie sight. I just kept traveling and sight seeing as I went on my merry way, meeting the North West at Wynyard, then Westward to the end of the earth, I returned Eastward to Stanley where I spent a few days catching Slimey Mackerel and Barracuda from the wharf in the wind and the rain (sorry folks no fish pics). I left Stanley in the blustering wind and rain and again went East to Wynyard then the trip South to Cradle Mountain, I took one of the treks at the Lake and returned catching my breath for a while before leaving, heading North again, I traveled the northern coastline to where I am now back where I started in Devonport with 9 days to go and 2200klms behind me since I left Devonport and 4100klms since I left home.

Keep watching for part 6
SUMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 3 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #10

His Eminance

4100klms since I left home

Me tinks ewe must be high on octane

Reckon about 44 gallons of it laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Feb 3 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #11

*Mr Shiny Head*

Group: Members

Member No.: 7

Imagine driving 4100 Kms waiting for the dog to bark. WOOF

BTW Sumo, if there's no pics then it didn't happen.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 5 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #12

His Eminance

Heard SUMO went & found an ABBA CD & is using wun of the tracks as his theme song laugh.gif laugh.gif

Plays it @ servo stations where he calls the attendants

Fernando

Can you fill the drums Fernando?
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight Fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

They were closer now Fernando
Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
I was so afraid Fernando

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 6 2011, 01:01 AM
Post #13

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Drum's Full see you all soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 10 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #14

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Fishin with SUMO Tassie Trip Finale.

Well the Party is over, I have been in Devonport a couple of days now and rapidly running out of ideas, the weather is fine one minute and blowing rain the next.
I have decided to alter my plans and come home early. I was going to stay at least 10 days longer.
I travelled every coastline and Inland trek on the island, I got away from the Northern NSW heat at home and that was a good reason to travel.
I do regret not bringing my boat, as I probably would have done a lot more fishing and spent more time in Tassie, the cost of bringing a boat across on the Ferry is totally unjustifiable and this coupled with the decision to travel alone made for a very boring and monotonous journey.
The few people that I met and spent a bit of time with were the highlights of my encounters along the way, I found it hard to enjoy the sights and visit the many tourist attractions alone, and the thought of looking for spots to fish off the rocks or beaches didn’t overwhelm me.
I had the occasion on the return ferry trip, to catch up with friends that I had met in Tassie, and the chance of a conversation or two on board helped shorten the Journey back to Melbourne.
After disembarking at Port Melbourne I headed North to leave the City limits and just kept driving until I started to feel tired, and camp at the roadside rest areas.
I am now home and recovering from the trip.
I would like to travel to Tassie again some time, but I will never do it alone again, Tasmania has some colourful history and the masses of lakes on the tops of the mountains are an experience that one would call amazing.

Until next time
SUMO

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Feb 10 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #15

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

Sumo. Sorry to hear you cut your trip short. I always though you enjoyed your own company biggrin.gif .
How much is it to take a boat across, I would think it takes the space of another car so should be approx the same cost of a car ?.
Would be good to see a series of photos, everyone enjoys photos.
Oh well mate those Flathead under the Manila bridge will be missing you mate so better get among them again.
Frank

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
kkw
post Feb 10 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #16

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Member No.: 30

Welcome home sumo - I guess. We spent 2 weeks in Tassie and yes, you can cover most of it in a few days. I would go again and do it a little differently next time. Like you, we had a bit of rain and then some more, followed by a little more. There was sunshine too, so all good. At least you have some memories. Travelling alone is a bummer, I reckon.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 10 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #17

His Eminance

QUOTE (kkw @ Feb 11 2011, 04:08 PM) *
Like you, we had a bit of rain

Like SUMO did ewe also beat the DRUM ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 12 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #18

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Frank the cost of taking my motorhome was $89 each way, the cost if I had the boat on would have been $366 each way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 12 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #19

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Didn't let the rain get in the Drum Jumpy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 12 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #20

His Eminance

Tell them about the DRUM hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:45 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates